Sponsored by:

992 Locking System Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 09:39 AM
ImpeachS
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 992 Locking System Question

I have a bad habit of leaving my keys in the car. On more than one occasion I did so in my garage (without locking the doors) and could not get the door open without getting the second key. Do I need to change a setting or is this the way it is supposed to be? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2024, 10:17 AM
adm63
Pro

Received 911 Likes on 332 Posts

I believe there should be some setting in the PCM you can use to keep the car from auto locking, since I leave my car unlocked in the garage and have never had a problem with the car locking itself. However I take the key with me inside, not that I think it should make a difference.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:19 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I didn't think the 992 had an auto-locking function.
Regardless, it shouldn't auto-lock with the key inside the car.
I had a rental car with an after-market system that did lock the car with the keys inside when I was at a gas pump. Very inconvenient.
But I've never heard of a factory "comfort access" system that would do that.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:50 PM
stoutthedog
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The car will lock itself if you leave the key in it.

Last edited by stoutthedog; 07-30-2024 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 04:52 PM
cyclingismylife
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stoutthedog
The car will lock itself if you leave the key in it.

But how if it clearly says "The vehicle key must be outside of the vehicle when locking, otherwise the vehicle cannot be locked."
Old 07-30-2024, 08:26 PM
stoutthedog
Advanced

Yes. You cannot intentionally lock the car with the key inside. However, if you try to lock the car with the key inside, it will warn you that your key is in the car and then lock the car 45 seconds after you tried to lock it. Then you’re screwed. It’s on the page I posted above. I don’t know why someone would do this intentionally.
The following users liked this post:
cyclingismylife (07-31-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 09:53 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

What i have read so far you can intentionally lock the car even one of the key inside the car.

But it doesnt state if the car will auto-lock
Old 07-31-2024, 12:29 AM
Nismo240ssx
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

Does the frunk have any sort of convenience sensor which prevents it from walking if it's a key in that compartment? Have a bad habit of leaving my keys in the briefcase which I store in the frunk to and from work.

I know my Mercedes and in another cars the trunk will automatically put back open if you close it with the keys inside.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:29 AM
ImpeachS
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is the issue. I am in the garage perhaps cleaning the car. I leave the key in the car while doing this (because I am going for a drive later) and simply shut the door. The door automatically locks and I need to get the other key to open it. My point is that the door should not automatically lock simply because the key is left inside. I have never had a car that did that before.
Old 07-31-2024, 12:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpeachS
Here is the issue. I am in the garage perhaps cleaning the car. I leave the key in the car while doing this (because I am going for a drive later) and simply shut the door. The door automatically locks and I need to get the other key to open it. My point is that the door should not automatically lock simply because the key is left inside. I have never had a car that did that before.
Surely the simple answer is don't leave your keys in the car?
Old 07-31-2024, 08:34 PM
stoutthedog
Advanced

Originally Posted by ImpeachS
I just tried it with my 2020 with comfort access and It will not lock with the key in the car. When I attempt to lock the door with the key on the console, the red light around the Porsche crest on the key flashes and the car does not lock or beep or respond in any way. I can put the key in the frunk and close it but it will not reopen. The car unlocked when I initially opened the frunk and I used the manual frunk release to retrieve the key.

So my car does not operate as stated in the manual. But it does not do what yours does either.

Last edited by stoutthedog; 07-31-2024 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Locking System Question