Sponsored by:

Lack of Analog

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 3520MMF
Doesn’t that depend on which Rolex we are talking about if you are looking to tell time ?
Or are you looking at the Rolex dial for aesthetic purposes and not to tell time ?
To me it's the physicality of all the individual parts that comprises that mechanical watch, how it was thought up by humans over a century ago, the complexity and tight tolerances required to machine, and like magic, it tells the time with decent accuracy.

Like others have suggested, I'm bet the data being fed to the analog tach is the same source as the new digital dash. I'm a fan of the analog tach for it's physical/mechanical nature, even 'if' it's less accurate.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Generally prefer analog but digital can be good if done right. I think the 997 gauges look great with just enough digital info to be useful. The high contrast numbers and orange needles relay information even in peripheral vision. This is also why the very early digital gauges in S2000 work - you get information from the movement of the gauge beyond the numerical info itself. I don't like digital gauges that require heavy interpretation of some visual indicator to process the information.

S2000 AP1:

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,796 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the focus on this digital tach is so incredibly stupid. The entire car is digital. 80% of the gauges in the 992.1 were digital. You aren't coming out of a 993 into this.

Its just like the dopes that call 991s RAW, where as 992s are just too cushy.

You're all gonna go buy the car eventually so quit the kvetching.
Well if we’re taking that approach and disregarding people’s personal preferences, we shouldn’t ever be subjected to posts of you bitching about anything car related. After all, personal preferences have no merit…..right?!?

Last edited by M3Inline6; Yesterday at 04:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche4Live
Just had a 2024 Cayenne loaner today with the new all digital display.

The lack of analog tac really takes away from the overall experience. Why Porsche is taking this away from the 911 is beyond me.
Parts sharing, cost cutting and appeal to Chinese consumers. Check out these after market gauges for porsche that come out from China. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006280151994.html
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
Porsche4Live
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Shi
Parts sharing, cost cutting and appeal to Chinese consumers. Check out these after market gauges for porsche that come out from China. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006280151994.html
Maybe we can have a USA company make an analog replacement then.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Shi
Great idea! Let's all load up our cars with high quality, made in China, after market gauges. Nothing better for precision built cars like Porsche. And you can order them directly on AliExpress!!!!

Quick Reply: Lack of Analog