Sponsored by:

Looking to unlock the matrix lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 02:25 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Pondering whether I should check the HD Matrix option for my 992.2 GTS. I do intend to activate the feature.

I tend to feel that the Matrix option is more aesthetically pleasing. It was one of my biggest regrets of not ordering on my last 992 build.
The following 2 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
Earle (07-13-2024), TuvaD (07-14-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 95 Posts

This was much more involved than clicking the correct boxes, it was a multi step process. This procedure spanned multiple modules with multiple configuration settings.
Old 07-13-2024, 03:08 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 375 Posts

@Earle I was 'generalizing' - I've done matrix activations for friends using @rnlst_log's technique, but at the end of the day the the car just 'thinks' it's in Germany (where active matrix is enabled natively), but 'speaks' english / imperial units.

Largely the process is 1) save current settings as a backup 2) change vehicle configuration (4 or 5 settings depending on the car) 3) autocode (push new configuration) to all related controllers 4) go back and make a final few changes related to language, units and frequencies 5) clear any soft errors 6) go for a night drive and marvel at the new functionality.

HTH
The following users liked this post:
Earle (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 03:18 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlegelis
@Earle I was 'generalizing' - I've done matrix activations for friends using @rnlst_log's technique, but at the end of the day the the car just 'thinks' it's in Germany (where active matrix is enabled natively), but 'speaks' english / imperial units.

Largely the process is 1) save current settings as a backup 2) change vehicle configuration (4 or 5 settings depending on the car) 3) autocode (push new configuration) to all related controllers 4) go back and make a final few changes related to language, units and frequencies 5) clear any soft errors 6) go for a night drive and marvel at the new functionality.

HTH
Agreed @jlegelis I was referring to the statement by @CodyBigdog "I watched the person activate a number of functions that had been turned off for US cars. Just a matter of clicking on/off a few boxes. Total process took about 20 minutes."
Old 08-08-2024, 03:44 PM
Artzwrk
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis

HTH
For ​​​​@rnlst_log to do it, would I need to buy my piwis etc?
Old 08-08-2024, 05:21 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Artzwrk
You MUST have access to a PIWIS to do the Matrix LED programming. You could purchase one from @rnlst_log or you might look for a local friend who has one. If you purchase one from @rnlst_log he is very good at providing support. I highly recommend him.
jlegelis (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 05:40 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Earle
You MUST have access to a PIWIS to do the Matrix LED programming. You could purchase one from @rnlst_log or you might look for a local friend who has one. If you purchase one from @rnlst_log he is very good at providing support. I highly recommend him.
He also rents them out for your service.
Artzwrk (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 05:48 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 801 Posts

We seriously need to start a PIWIS repository or directory of members that have them and location. Could really simplify things.
The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
Earle (08-08-2024), paxton (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 05:50 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Why not spend a fraction of what you paid for to get what you paid for?
I have learned that Porsche doesn’t retrofit anything. They were also supposed to install the power adjustable steering column after the fact. They at least sent me a check due to it. But Porsche is pretty clear in their literature on the matrix headlights in that they are not functional in all regions. I don’t think there is any expectation on Porsche’s part they will go back and recode everyone who ordered the lights. I was able to recode my anti-dazzle headlights on my BMW M2 although they were disabled for the US. If Porsche were to enable it, it would be very cool and I really like it on my BMW although it’s not exactly the same thing.
Old 08-08-2024, 07:45 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

I was thinking of starting a public wiki to capture and document PIWIS how-to's, functions, tips and tricks. I am using a personal (private) wiki to track my own PIWIS notes. My concern would be the legal implications from the manufacture.

Originally Posted by Artzwrk
Originally Posted by dixonk
We seriously need to start a PIWIS repository or directory of members that have them and location. Could really simplify things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Earle:
dixonk (08-08-2024), Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:55 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 507 Posts

My experience is that for most users, the level of commitment to learn PIWIS is not worth it unless you intend to significantly mod your car. The best scenario is to get a group of folks in each geography to go together and purchase a "group" PIWIS, and then let @rnlst_log do all the programming remotely for you. It's very economic to do it that way, and I wouldn't purchase PIWIS from any source other than him as his version is proven stable, and more importantly, he, as the programmer, knows the status of the software. I'm happy to let anyone in san diego, CA or Jackson Hole Wy use my PIWIS free of charge for work with @rnlst_log . . .

The Matrix activation is fully proven - I had Mars do it for me, but I've done several cars myself without issue. Other things are a bit more complicated, but PIWIS truly unlocks the true potential of the 992 platform.
The following 5 users liked this post by f4bones:
dixonk (08-08-2024), Earle (08-08-2024), MAXFPS (08-09-2024), mthreat (08-08-2024), Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:04 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Agree 100% - After purchasing my PIWIS from @rnlst_log and jumping into the software I determined that I would spend a significant amount of time coming up to speed learning the in's and out's to complete the Matrix Programming. For me It was well worth the additional money to have @rnlst_log program the lights. It was fascinating to watch him work. After I witnessed what he did it just reconfirmed my initial assessment on the level of programming that is involved.

Originally Posted by f4bones
My experience is that for most users, the level of commitment to learn PIWIS is not worth it unless you intend to significantly mod your car. The best scenario is to get a group of folks in each geography to go together and purchase a "group" PIWIS, and then let @rnlst_log do all the programming remotely for you. It's very economic to do it that way, and I wouldn't purchase PIWIS from any source other than him as his version is proven stable, and more importantly, he, as the programmer, knows the status of the software. I'm happy to let anyone in san diego, CA or Jackson Hole Wy use my PIWIS free of charge for work with @rnlst_log . . .

The Matrix activation is fully proven - I had Mars do it for me, but I've done several cars myself without issue. Other things are a bit more complicated, but PIWIS truly unlocks the true potential of the 992 platform.

Last edited by Earle; 08-08-2024 at 09:30 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 09:56 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 801 Posts

A great idea would be to start a directory of PIWIS owners by region. I offer up my place for remote coding with @rnlst_log as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
mthreat (08-08-2024), Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:00 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
A great idea would be to start a directory of PIWIS owners by region. I offer up my place for remote coding with @rnlst_log as well.
Same. MD here.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shogunade:
Artzwrk (09-09-2024), dixonk (08-08-2024), Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Looking to unlock the matrix lights