2020 911 S - Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 02:00 AM
griegomiami
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2020 911 S - Fuel pump issues

Guys,

I recently bought a used 911 S with 40000 miles and found myself in a never ending issue with fuel pumps.

One day while I was driving I got a check engine light and we basically replace the low pressure pump, sensor and the control unit since the car while driving it was losing power and sometimes it would crank but wasn't starting up.

Then they check psi on fuel lines from front to the back and it was OK on the low side but the psi on the 2 high pressure pumps was off.

We just replaced the 2 high pressure pumps and the check engine is still on and I am getting these attached error messages. Now they checked PSI and the high side is good but the mechanic told me the low side is now off. I am totally confused on what's happening. I drove the car today 150 miles and it didn't turn off on me nor did it show decreased power. They just ordered another low pressure pump to replace it as a last effort to try and fix this issue. They flushed the lines before for possibly contaminated fuel and I put new premium gasoline. I was told one another possible thing is to replace the fuel lines for possible internal rust/breakage which is rare to happen , very time consuming and expensive (mechanic hours) to do.

Any idea what can be happening ?? I am desperate the car is in the shop for 4 months now. I appreciate all the help.

Old 07-03-2024, 02:33 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you clarify what you mean when you say the fuel pressure was off? Was it too high or was it too low? You mention it being off in multiple instances in your story and it would be good to clarify all of those to help with a diagnosis.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:18 AM
griegomiami
6th Gear

Hi thanks for the reply. I spoke to my mechanic again and he clarified that the low pressure has always been low like 55psi and I require 62psi.

The next day after my last post I took the car to work and I got all sort of issues again like I had in the beginning before switching any parts 4 months ago. ACC issues, start/stop failure, engine control error, cylinder misfires etc..the car wouldnt start and I had to tow it to the dealer once more.

I was told as a next thing to try, there is a low pressure pump with a gasket that can be installed. Hopefully the gasket keeps the pressure together but we are running out of options. They already installed new injectors, new sparks plugs, swapped the coils and installed a new fuel control unit.

Any idea what can be happening here or anyone had similar issues?

Attached Images   
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2988.MOV (15.41 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by griegomiami; 07-08-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:03 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Is the car being serviced by someone who is just guessing / throwing random parts at the problem, or by someone who has a PIWIS subscription (like a dealer or qualified independent) that can follow standard diagnostic procedures? IOW your mechanic’s use of a Autel is not confidence inspiring… also extremely unlikely it’s fuel lines.

BTW, do you have the service history of the car? Presume there’s no warranty, etc? Any chance it was flood damaged?
Old 07-08-2024, 10:19 AM
griegomiami
6th Gear

Yes of its at the local Porsche dealer. The pictures with Autel are from myself while I was driving the car and I wanted to see the codes of the issue.

Yes, we have the previous history from the dealer that I bought the car but obviously they didnt report any issues prior to buyer. Porsche warranty finished in December and I have fidelity platinum on it now.

We havent seen any signs of flood damage, or at least what the mechanic didnt report.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:31 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Doesn't sound like a dealer experience.. have they plugged the car and send the diagnostics for review my Porsche? Do they have a 'gold' tech on staff that can actually take the time to diagnose things, rather than making guesses?
Old 07-08-2024, 11:48 AM
griegomiami
6th Gear

Well thats what I am not sure now. Four times they call me to pickup the car and four times I go back at the dealer with same issue is frustrating. Are they really changing the items they said they will?

I have a advisor assigned that my friend was going there before and was happy. Shall I go see another dealer maybe they find the issue? Shall I complain to PCNA, would they send a tech down to take a look considering so long? But I dont have porsche warranty just fidelity.

I am not sure of the process and whats best way to go about it. I actually thought I might got just a bad lemon after all and maybe sell the car to a carmax but I will lose a lot of money, not preferred. I would like to get it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2020 911 S - Fuel pump issues