Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend selling me his 2022 911 Carrera 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024 | 12:20 PM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Default Friend selling me his 2022 911 Carrera 4 GTS

My friend is selling their 2022 Carrera 4 GTS (PDK) with pretty low mileage (3k) and offered to sell it to me at a very good price quite below what I see on the market.

My plan was to wait a few years to afford a used 992 Turbo S. I am fairly young so I have no problem waiting a few years for something better.

The C4GTS is pretty nicely spec’d but I would’ve done a few things differently, for example getting the spider wheels instead of the center locks because I’d be daily driving it year round and know it would be a hassle to switch wheels twice a year. Maybe a different exterior color but it’s Carrara white with red leather interior so it’s not bad.

I’m also looking into future depreciation costs. I feel like a used Turbo S that I buy in 1-2 years hopefully with under 10k miles would have less depreciation potential than this C4GTS. Can anyone share their predictions on how much they would expect it to depreciate? Let’s say I keep it for 5 years and it gets to 40k miles. I’m guessing it would be at around 100k. I know people will say if you’re worried about depreciation you shouldn’t buy the car but that’s not how I think. I’d rather get the best deal that loses the least amount of money.

I currently have a 2018 Audi RS5 coupe. After sales tax and fees it would probably end up being 160k for the GTS with about 3k miles. The lowest 992 Carrera 4 GTS I can see on the market is currently at $177,000.

I’d really appreciate any advice or input. Someone who has driven and compared both would help too.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2024 | 01:02 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

I think that due to the 992.2 GTS PDK only being released your with the new engine-faster and with quicker response- your car will take a hit especially since you will have the PDK.
Old 06-29-2024 | 01:13 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

What was sticker? 160k does sound like a good price, say if it was a 190k spec. Also remember you'll only have about a year left of warranty.

I'll also add the TTS usually drops in price much more than a GTS.
Old 06-29-2024 | 02:09 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Historically, the TTS has the more extreme depreciation.

You can buy an extended warranty through Porsche, or 3rd party. If you’re at $160k for the GTS after tax, that’s a fair price.

At the end of the day, friends are friends, and money is money. He’s likely offering the car to you at what a dealership has offered to buy it for. I too, would rather a friend or enthusiast get it for what the dealer was going to give me for the car. Because likely, they’re just going to take $20k on it and sell it on the showroom floor.
The following users liked this post:
iso87 (07-01-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 02:20 PM
First911GTSTarga
Advanced

Crazy, I traded in my RS5 on a 23 GTS Targa. I really liked the Audi, but the GTS is a different animal. Trust me, you will love the car.
Old 06-30-2024 | 07:03 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Prediction. You fall in love with the Targa GTS and decide you can't step down into a Turbo...

​​​​​​
Old 06-30-2024 | 07:25 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RamoThePharaoh
My friend is selling their 2022 Carrera 4 GTS (PDK) with pretty low mileage (3k) and offered to sell it to me at a very good price quite below what I see on the market.

My plan was to wait a few years to afford a used 992 Turbo S. I am fairly young so I have no problem waiting a few years for something better.

The C4GTS is pretty nicely spec’d but I would’ve done a few things differently, for example getting the spider wheels instead of the center locks because I’d be daily driving it year round and know it would be a hassle to switch wheels twice a year. Maybe a different exterior color but it’s Carrara white with red leather interior so it’s not bad.

I’m also looking into future depreciation costs. I feel like a used Turbo S that I buy in 1-2 years hopefully with under 10k miles would have less depreciation potential than this C4GTS. Can anyone share their predictions on how much they would expect it to depreciate? Let’s say I keep it for 5 years and it gets to 40k miles. I’m guessing it would be at around 100k. I know people will say if you’re worried about depreciation you shouldn’t buy the car but that’s not how I think. I’d rather get the best deal that loses the least amount of money.

I currently have a 2018 Audi RS5 coupe. After sales tax and fees it would probably end up being 160k for the GTS with about 3k miles. The lowest 992 Carrera 4 GTS I can see on the market is currently at $177,000.

I’d really appreciate any advice or input. Someone who has driven and compared both would help too.

Thanks
there is some pro and con with your situation. The fact that it was a friends car means that he knows the history of that car and so will you. on the other hand, you’re not thrilled about the wheels or the color or certain aspects of the car and the price you are paying you should be.. the market pricing on all of these cars is not typical of former years and generations. It’s very hard to get a handle on what the future values might be. I can tell you that when I traded in my GTS I was lowball by my dealership and an independent dealership beat the number by $16,000. It’s just a crazy market . I think you should get what you like at this car is not what you want. I would pass if you look at it, drive it and love the vehicle then I think you’ll be fine. In terms of price that’s between you and your friend. Good luck.!
Old 06-30-2024 | 10:51 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

The offer seems good as far as price goes. The wheels aren't too huge of an issue if you are resourceful in finding a trustworthy installer. Color is a thing for sure but you can always wrap. There is also the experience of eventually spec'ing your own Porsche built to order that is difficult to place a value on for many of us.

BUT, who is it that says buy the deal and you may never be happy but buy the car and you may forever be happy, those are wise words and apply here.
Old 07-01-2024 | 01:23 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

What exactly is it that you like better about the Turbo S than the 4 GTS? Both cars are so fast as to not make a difference on the street. Get an M tune if you need the power levels to be even closer. Both are AWD. Both will have centerlocks, which apparently you don’t like? If it’s a matter of spec’ing the car exactly to your taste or the styling differences, then that makes the choice more clear.
Old 07-01-2024 | 01:45 AM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
What exactly is it that you like better about the Turbo S than the 4 GTS? Both cars are so fast as to not make a difference on the street. Get an M tune if you need the power levels to be even closer. Both are AWD. Both will have centerlocks, which apparently you don’t like? If it’s a matter of spec’ing the car exactly to your taste or the styling differences, then that makes the choice more clear.
if I do get a turbo S it would be a preowned one so that it would be more affordable, won’t be able to spec one myself. It’s not that I don’t like the center locks, it’s just that I won’t be able to easily switch the wheels twice a year since I’ll be daily driving it in the winter too. I guess it wouldn’t be too big of a deal to have the dealership do it instead of me.

the thing I wanted most from the Turbo S would of course be the power. I did drive the GTS and while it was very very fast, I couldn’t help but think about the Turbo S and how much faster that would be. A tune would void the warranty and also probably affect future resale value. I know people say to enjoy the car and not worry about that, but I’d like to not just burn money.

My hopes were to wait 1-2 years and pick up a used Turbo S when the 992.2 version drops so that the 992.1 would be more affordable.
Old 07-01-2024 | 07:29 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

we need more details
MSRP of the car you are getting
price he is selling you the car without fees and taxes as these can vary greatly by location
is the car certified ? probably not if your friend bought new
also are you selling your RS5 . See if you can do courtesy trade to get some tax money if your state give tax credit for trade in
Old 07-01-2024 | 10:08 AM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pitt911
we need more details
MSRP of the car you are getting
price he is selling you the car without fees and taxes as these can vary greatly by location
is the car certified ? probably not if your friend bought new
also are you selling your RS5 . See if you can do courtesy trade to get some tax money if your state give tax credit for trade in
I don’t have the msrp but i have the build sheet. I’ll attach it here. My friend was the second owner, bought it from a used car dealership.

He is selling it to me for $152,000 before taxes and fees. I live in Michigan so it’s going to be 6% sales tax and there is no trade in credit unfortunately or I think it’s only limited to $9000 of the trade in here.

Old 07-01-2024 | 10:52 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

hope someone here can tell us MSRP, my guess will be 160 k plus . Any Porsche dealer can tell you MSRP from build sheet
he bought it used from a used dealership so not CPO
FYI cost for CPO by dealer to PAG is roughly 3500 plus all the services needed including the next 6 months from time of CPO , so that can be a chunk of money, lets say in this case 5 k
so you need to take that into consideration when looking at other cars
Old 07-01-2024 | 10:56 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

I don’t have the msrp but i have the build sheet. I’ll attach it here. My friend was the second owner, bought it from a used car dealership.

He is selling it to me for $152,000 before taxes and fees. I live in Michigan so it’s going to be 6% sales tax and there is no trade in credit unfortunately or I think it’s only limited to $9000 of the trade in here.
I've been where you're at sorta. Having GTS isn't gonna satiate your desire for a TT/S. So I say just get this car as a placeholder and you'll have a chip to get the TT/S when you're ready. With the deal your friend is giving you, you'll make out even, even with no trade-in tax credit. And remember to thank your buddy for a great deal.
Old 07-01-2024 | 11:11 AM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shogunade
I've been where you're at sorta. Having GTS isn't gonna satiate your desire for a TT/S. So I say just get this car as a placeholder and you'll have a chip to get the TT/S when you're ready. With the deal your friend is giving you, you'll make out even, even with no trade-in tax credit. And remember to thank your buddy for a great deal.
when you say I’ll make out even, you mean when I trade for a TT/S in a few years I won’t lose much on this GTS. I feel like within 2-3 years when the TT/S drops a bit in price the GTS with let’s say 25-30k miles will also have dropped down to maybe 120k or less right?

seems like 991.2 GTS are around 100-110k

Quick Reply: Friend selling me his 2022 911 Carrera 4 GTS