Banned

Originally Posted by Res Ips
Sounds like he’s going through puberty!
Talking to yourself, again?

Too funny.
Old 06-30-2024 | 09:26 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Damn shame when the top 2 new posts in threads are the same person peeing all over the threads without a nexus to the original (was gonna put "OG" but decided against it for those that don't know the innocent meaning) topic.

Somewhat close to topic, I did see a Rivian SUV yesterday afternoon and event though I wasn't very close, it did look fairly good. At least from the "looks department". That was the first time, other than on youTube, that I have seen one. I can't see any Rivian, other than maybe some intellectual property in batteries or software or designs affecting the Porsche 911 in the future. Then again, that is with myself being fairly ignorant on what Rivian offers (or Lucid, or Tesla, etc.).

Must be my inability to tell time or read a clock or whatever FL people suffer from. (sarcasm)
Old 06-30-2024 | 09:44 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

You're in Naples and have only seen one Rivian? Strange. Our area in MD is starting to flood with them.
Old 06-30-2024 | 10:21 AM
Hunky
Pro

Originally Posted by PHX
Damn shame when the top 2 new posts in threads are the same person peeing all over the threads without a nexus to the original (was gonna put "OG" but decided against it for those that don't know the innocent meaning) topic.

Somewhat close to topic, I did see a Rivian SUV yesterday afternoon and event though I wasn't very close, it did look fairly good. At least from the "looks department". That was the first time, other than on youTube, that I have seen one. I can't see any Rivian, other than maybe some intellectual property in batteries or software or designs affecting the Porsche 911 in the future. Then again, that is with myself being fairly ignorant on what Rivian offers (or Lucid, or Tesla, etc.).

Must be my inability to tell time or read a clock or whatever FL people suffer from. (sarcasm)
I live in the same general area as you know and saw a Rivian a couple days ago, pretty sure I saw my first last Fall in this area but am also totally uninterested in a non hybrid EV if that is describing them correctly.
Evs are just not that popular in this area as anyone who lives here knows. Tesla is about the only brand you see with regularity but those glorified golf carts are now very stale and quite dated with the exception of the new Cyber Truck which is a hideous enigma.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-30-2024 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PHX (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 01:10 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Honestly, Florida is a place where I would expect higher EV adoption if people actually spent some time to learn about the latest tech. Yes, I was born and raised in Florida. The perspective? I lived through a good number of hurricanes. Heck, growing up, the power would go out just from bad thunderstorms back in the day. EVs are great for home backup power. Or even buy a Ford F150 hybrid with their power boost package or whatever it's called, and it can put out something like 7kW. Rivians currently only have the 110V AC outlet that can do 1500W, but many people use that to power their refrigerators, tvs, etc during a power outage. Some friends of mine in Houston lost power for a few days in the storms a few months back. If they would have had a Rivian or other EV with 110V outlets, they wouldn't have had to lose food out of their refrigerator because the couldn't eat it all before it went bad. Sure, there's the gas generator backup solution which my family did a few times. But it's loud, and some people apparently never learned that burning gas causes harmful emissions like carbon monoxide that will kill you. Too many sad stories about people running their gas generators in their garages with the door closed.

Plug-in hybrids like the RAV4 and CX90 have the same 1500W, 110V AC outlet. Rivian is coming out with a bi-directional charger that can do 24kW within a year that will power every electrical device in nearly every home, short of mansions. F150 Lightning and Cybertruck have NEMA 14-50 outlets if I recall to power more serious electrical loads. A bit more Florida connection to EV is the abundance of sunshine for home solar installs. Creating your own 'fuel' for transportation? I'd call that independence and freedom which is what I hear people from Florida saying they like.

Oh, one more specific benefit of a Rivian R1T/S in Florida, is that it can drive through 1m of water. So if there are any flooded areas after a storm, the Rivians can drive through.

Last edited by spdracerut; 06-30-2024 at 01:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
aggie57 (06-30-2024), CodyBigdog (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 01:14 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Well said, and yes, Florida does have one of the top 5 EV adoption rates. That said, I would be very leery about getting an EV in any area that is prone to coastal flooding…from hurricanes, strong storms/tidal surges, etc. Salt water and batteries don’t do well together. With that in mind, I would not be surprised if insuring EV’s in Florida are significantly higher than many other states….although haven’t seen any data to prove it.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-30-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2024 | 03:30 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Well said, and yes, Florida does have one of the top 5 EV adoption rates. That said, I would be very leery about getting an EV in any area that is prone to coastal flooding…from hurricanes, strong storms/tidal surges, etc. Salt water and batteries don’t do well together. With that in mind, I would not be surprised if insuring EV’s in Florida are significantly higher than many other states….although haven’t seen any data to prove it.
Florida’s insurance market is ****ed. https://money.com/home-insurance-cos...-foreclosures/ The car market is following.
Old 06-30-2024 | 04:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Florida’s insurance market is ****ed. https://money.com/home-insurance-cos...-foreclosures/ The car market is following.

My brother-in-law and sister had a beautiful place in Naples/Clearwater area…right on the water. For years he complained about the high cost of home insurance….and according to him, after any major storm that blew through the area, his pool screen structure would sustain major damage…which the insurance company refused to pay for repairs, because it didn’t meet some criteria (that he said kept changing). He described the insurance claim process in Florida like wack-a-mole….

So, after about 25 years in Florida, he got fed up playing the insurance claim game, and sold his house and moved to another state.
Old 06-30-2024 | 04:17 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
The insurance mess is flowing to California these days too; more and more people here are getting notices of non-renewal even after many years with the same major insurer.
Old 06-30-2024 | 04:34 PM
Hunky
Pro

My brother-in-law and sister had a beautiful place in Naples/Clearwater area…right on the water. For years he complained about the high cost of home insurance….and according to him, after any major storm that blew through the area, his pool screen structure would sustain major damage…which the insurance company refused to pay for repairs, because it didn’t meet some criteria (that he said kept changing). He described the insurance claim process in Florida like wack-a-mole….

So, after about 25 years in Florida, he got fed up playing the insurance claim game, and sold his house and moved to another state.
Naples/Clearwater area you say?
Naples is nearly 200 miles south of the Clearwater area.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-30-2024 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2024 | 04:53 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hunky
Regardless, all rednecks without WiFi.
Old 06-30-2024 | 05:27 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Hunky
You got me. 😱 Yes, one or the other….whichever one is closest to Tampa.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-30-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2024 | 05:28 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Regardless, all rednecks without WiFi.
If the redneck has a place on the water with a pool, yep. But think they had WiFi. Do they have WiFi in Ohio?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-30-2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2024 | 05:39 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

If the redneck has a place on the water with a pool, yep. But think they had WiFi. Do they have WiFi in Ohio?
I’m still using my 63 hours remaining from my stash of America Online discs.
Old 06-30-2024 | 05:41 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’m still using my 63 hours remaining from my stash of America Online discs.
Oh yea, I remember AOL. Dialup modem? Music to my ears:

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-30-2024 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: VW Deal with Rivian affect 911 at all?