Sponsored by:

VW Deal with Rivian affect 911 at all?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 01:19 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
https://www.eia.gov/naturalgas/crude...2%20(Table%201).

Proved reserves are estimated volumes of hydrocarbon resources that analysis of geologic and engineering data demonstrates with reasonable certainty are recoverable under existing economic and operating conditions. Reserves estimates change from year to year because of:
  • Price and cost changes
  • New discoveries
  • Thorough appraisals of existing fields
  • Existing reserves production
  • New and improved techniques and technologies

Point being - Like any commodity, these hydrocarbon resources are finite. But as the price of oil goes up, and new technology comes online…more reserves are found. But, even so, the increase in US reserves over the past 40 years has only gone up about 20%….all the while, the consumption rate for oil and gas continues to climb. They ain’t making anymore more oil, and eventually, given the growing consumption rate (ie, more people means more oil is needed), the oil will be gone…or at least the oil that is not prohibitively expensive to extract, will be gone.

Think of it this way (in simple terms)…before man started to extract oil from the ground, there were huge reserves just feet below the surface of the ground. Over the centuries, man has been depleting those oil reserves…so we drill deeper, and deeper, using the latest costly technologies, to extract a dwindling resource. It’s analogous to a human picking apples from an apple tree,,,,at first, there are plenty of apples within easy reach, but as more apples are picked, he then has to get a ladder to reach higher in the tree. Then a machine is needed. Eventually, all the apples on the tree are gone. The difference between apples and oil is…with apple trees, you can plant more trees to get more apples.

I think this explanation is necessary for some folks here who don’t want or like to look at the facts and data.

Last edited by GTS2022; 06-29-2024 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 01:28 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Dude claims to be retired, rich AF, and lives in a gated community to keep out colored people, is seemingly always angry. It was nice when he took a self-imposed hiatus; we didn’t have to hear about how much he hates oil and Trump in every thread.
You nailed it Man. Hater gotta hate.
Reading his politically adulterated posts is as bad as watching MSDNC for a few minutes. LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunky:
George from MD (06-30-2024), M3Inline6 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Dude claims to be retired, rich AF, and lives in a gated community to keep out colored people, is seemingly always angry. It was nice when he took a self-imposed hiatus; we didn’t have to hear about how much he hates oil and Trump in every thread.

Good news…I’m back from my ride.

RE: “rich AF”

Not sure what AF is?

RE: “gated community to keep out colored people”

Such a bigoted remark from the redneck. Who would have thought? 😱 So happens, the head of our HOA is a “colored folk”. Wonder how he got past the gate and security person? Mmmm, maybe we have a breach in security? 🤔

RE: “hates Trump”

“Hate” is such a strong word, don’t ya think? 😎 How about, I strongly dislike. Sorry, but no fan of anybody that denigrates distinguished members of the military, a Putin lover, a convicted felon, and a habitual liar that’s still pushing his “Big Lie” after nearly 4 years.

Anything else, shrimp man?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-29-2024 at 02:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Res Ips (06-30-2024), Tedster (07-02-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:40 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Good news…I’m back from my ride.

RE: “rich AF”

Not sure what AF is?

RE: “gated community to keep out colored people”

Such a bigoted remark from the redneck. Who would have thought? 😱 So happens, the head of our HOA is a “colored folk”. Wonder how he got past the gate and security person? Mmmm, maybe we have a breach in security? 🤔

RE: “hates Trump”

“Hate” is such a strong word, don’t ya think? 😎 How about, I strongly dislike. Sorry, but no fan of anybody that denigrates distinguished members of the military, a Putin lover, a convicted felon, and a habitual liar that’s still pushing his “Big Lie” after nearly 4 years.

Anything else, shrimp man?
"AF" = as F&*k and quite a common term nowadays. Maybe you should get out a little.

Might I suggest the other forum where there isn't much car talk, however whatever politic off topic chats you wish to have, you can mightily post there, and maybe be amongst some better friends, at least from those that wish to talk about Porsche 992 in here anyway.

You do you, though, keep shaking your fist at the sky!
The following users liked this post:
Hunky (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:45 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,417 Likes on 511 Posts

I love that anyone who doesn't agree with Cody is a redneck 🤣.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fishah:
George from MD (06-30-2024), Hunky (06-29-2024), shrimp money (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:17 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
$5B - they will burn through that in a year. An EV future means China owns the auto industry. The Western countries have to decide whether they want to sacrifice their auto industries to attain their climate agenda.
this is a dumb take. China is ahead because labor is cheap and western companies haven’t taken EV seriously. They’re getting pantsed because they spent most of thr last decade begrudgingly building compliance vehicles. And they outsourced key work abroad because they didn’t care. Look at the industry’s initial reaction to Tesla.

whelp.

but batteries are just chemistry and there’s nothing magical about what china is doing. It’s a no moat business. The chemistry could be done anywhere.

as for the traditional auto industry it can evolve, or die. There’s no choosing to save it. The only thing an ice ****box does better than an EV ****box is cost. That’s it. An EV ****box is a superior people mover in every way. Much more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Better tech integration. Most of the auto industry builds ****boxes not sports cars. There’s a small market for nostalgia and there’s a commercial market, but most people won’t care because they drive less than 50 miles a day. Once the price of batteries comes down, then the market forces will be going the wrong way for ice.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
CodyBigdog (06-29-2024), Tedster (07-02-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:26 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Every morning on my way into office I think how nice would be I can just jump into an EV or such shared autonomous shuttles that takes me to my work while I can read or do other things.
Or the pub. Autopilot isn’t real until it’s the car’s legal responsibility if anything goes wrong.
Larson E. Rapp (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:30 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by Fishah
I love that anyone who doesn't agree with Cody is a redneck 🤣.

]
Don't forget that all Floridians live in trailer parks and yes of course are "Rednecks". Yeah, that's how it is here.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:03 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,172 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
]
Don't forget that all Floridians live in trailer parks and yes of course are "Rednecks". Yeah, that's how it is here.
Do you guys even have Wi-Fi in the trailer park, or are you at Panera right now?
Old 06-29-2024, 05:31 PM
Hunky
Racer

Do you guys even have Wi-Fi in the trailer park, or are you at Panera right now?
No Wi-Fi as of yet. We are at the local Craker Barrel, nothing but the best for us!
How do you like our Trailer Park?

Last edited by Hunky; 06-29-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:55 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 115 Posts

I am very interested if there is any cross pollination....

The following 3 users liked this post by protamine:
Guzzgreg (06-30-2024), Hunky (06-29-2024), shrimp money (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 07:07 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,840 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Or the pub. Autopilot isn’t real until it’s the car’s legal responsibility if anything goes wrong.
Which is unlikely to ever be the case. We’ve cited and successfully obtained convictions on those who were involved in crashes while on complete autopilot.
Old 06-29-2024, 07:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
No Wi-Fi as of yet. We are at the local Craker Barrel, nothing but the best for us!
How do you like our Trailer Park?
the tires are flat….and it’s leaking water
Old 06-29-2024, 07:17 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by protamine
I am very interested if there is any cross pollination....

"Cross polination", too funny, good one.
Old 06-29-2024, 07:23 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Look at the spy photos of the first Ferrari EV. Other than a prancing horse badge, what distinguishes it from any other EV? Why would someone pay $300K for it?

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/06/fe...maserati-guts/
To be fair, a Taycan feels like a Porsche even without actual engine noise and all. I'm sure Ferrari will work its magic on the chassis and overall feel of the car. Same goes for the latest EV Bimmers. They actually feel more like the BMWs from the past than the current generation ICE Bimmers.
Tedster (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: VW Deal with Rivian affect 911 at all?