Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LWG / Noise-insulated glass - How are you comparing its effectiveness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 05:09 PM
gwud2go
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question LWG / Noise-insulated glass - How are you comparing its effectiveness?

I'm in the process of spec'ing my first 911, a base 992.2. I intend it to drive it as a daily with the family.

My priorities are looks -> comfort -> performance.

I'd like to be able to have conversations with my family while on a highway traveling around 60mph on average.

I am very intrigued by the noise insulated glass option and have read many posts related to this topic on this forum.

For those people who have it and say "yes it makes a difference and I would absolutely spec it again"...

- How do you guys know without comparing it against the default glass, driving on the same roads, on similar tires, etc...?

And on a related note, is there any indication that the random glass cracking issues have been addressed in the 992.2 generation?

Thanks!

Last edited by gwud2go; 06-18-2024 at 05:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-18-2024, 05:21 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 437 Likes on 212 Posts

I had one without and my current one is with the Noise Insulating Glass and the 992 with the noise insulating glass is definitely quieter inside the cabin. Same Michelin's were on both cars and same options (seats, headliner, radio's etc) inside. I drive on the same roads often. These are both 992 "S" cars I am referring to.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
cptcolo0 (06-18-2024), gwud2go (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 06:29 PM
gwud2go
Track Day

That was a rather convincing .

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
I had one without and my current one is with the Noise Insulating Glass ...
I was just curious - did you consciously spec it on the 2nd one because you found the cabin noise to be problematic in the 1st one?
Old 06-18-2024, 08:18 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

My priorities were the same as yours. I couldn’t get an S allocation in any reasonable amount of time, but a base allocation was offered. So I decided on a ‘grand touring’ spec for the base. I’m glad I did. I specified thermal and noise insulating glass, normal exhaust, (but with quad tips). Pirillis, cold tire pressures 35 front, 40 rear. You will be able to hear your wife while doing 70 mph, (some might say, ‘unfortunately!). But when you put the hammer down, you will enjoy the exhaust note. No ‘droning’ heard at any speed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash992:
gwud2go (06-18-2024), Motorin Mark (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:25 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by gwud2go
I'm in the process of spec'ing my first 911, a base 992.2. I intend it to drive it as a daily with the family.

I'd like to be able to have conversations with my family while on a highway traveling around 60mph on average.

I am very intrigued by the noise insulated glass option and have read many posts related to this topic on this forum.

For those people who have it and say "yes it makes a difference and I would absolutely spec it again"...

- How do you guys know without comparing it against the default glass, driving on the same roads, on similar tires, etc...?

And on a related note, is there any indication that the random glass cracking issues have been addressed in the 992.2 generation?

Thanks!
I had a high end stereo added to my 2020 Porsche 992 C4S
My installer warned me NOT to get the insulating glass. He said there could be connectivity issues with my I Phone. Also this glass is expensive to replace, and , can me scratched by windshield wipers
I had a full tear out with high end insulation. That reduced the exterior decibel reading by eight points.

floor insulation

door insulation
The following users liked this post:
cptcolo0 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:33 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Thanks!
I had LWG on my former 992 GTS . I loved the cabin sound but both window did have to be replaced . They cracked (about a year apart ) . I read here was the materials of the glass changed and the replacements did not crack.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:04 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 437 Likes on 212 Posts

That was a rather convincing .

I was just curious - did you consciously spec it on the 2nd one because you found the cabin noise to be problematic in the 1st one?
No, I just have the Burmester radio and when I play it I want to hear it as cleanly and clearly as possible and it does sound better with the lightweight glass. I flip flop constantly, one ride I listen to the sweet engine sounds and the next ride I listen to the Eagles on the Burmester and both sound excellent!
cptcolo0 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 12:15 AM
wujax
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
I had a high end stereo added to my 2020 Porsche 992 C4S
My installer warned me NOT to get the insulating glass. He said there could be connectivity issues with my I Phone. Also this glass is expensive to replace, and , can me scratched by windshield wipers
I had a full tear out with high end insulation. That reduced the exterior decibel reading by eight points.
I also got noise insulation in my C2. The manufacturer of the deadening material said priority order is Doors --> Floor --> engine bay. I did doors only, just didn't want to spend a ton of money on this project. It made just the right amount of difference, about 2-3 decibels reduced while at 75mph on the highway, which is a good chunk. Vehicles passing by while I'm stopped at a red light are a whisper. I can listen to a podcast in a long drive now. 8db is pretty impressive, must be silent in the cabin now.

Last edited by wujax; 06-19-2024 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:02 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
No, I just have the Burmester radio and when I play it I want to hear it as cleanly and clearly as possible and it does sound better with the lightweight glass. I flip flop constantly, one ride I listen to the sweet engine sounds and the next ride I listen to the Eagles on the Burmester and both sound excellent!
I also added LWG specifically because I also added the Burmester. I love listening to music loud and clear. Turn the music off, and you can still hear the engine although I’m sure it’s not as loud inside the cabin as it would be without the LWG.

I can’t compare to a car without the LWG, but my daughter made a comment the first time she got in my car that convinced me it makes the cabin quieter. As she got in, she said your car is so loud. After she closed the door, she said it’s quiet in here.

I’ve had no issues with the glass thus far. I’ve had no iPhone connectivity issues that another poster warned about.

For the OP: it’s perfect for what you’re looking for in your build. Spend a little extra and get the Burmester too.
The following 2 users liked this post by txpackers:
Motorin Mark (06-19-2024), Staffie Guy (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 08:38 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,310 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Then there's this side of the equation to consider. I don't know the sound differences between the glass types but having experienced two failures in 3 months, I'd order standard glass if I could.

Spontaneous Glass Spidering Anyone?
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott P:
dixonk (06-19-2024), mikey94025 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:15 AM
Ironmar
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve had my T for a couple of weeks and drove it 250km on the highway home from the dealer at 130-140km/hr. To be honest my wife and I were surprised how quiet it was inside. For the first half of the drive the music was off and we were able to converse with each other easily.

Definitely not as quiet as our 330 sedan but better than Toyotas we have had. The engine does rumble but you ‘feel’ it as much as hear it. There was only a bit of tire and wind noise, except for the occasional rock hitting the wheel well.

We were also surprised at how good the Bose stereo sounded.
gwud2go (06-21-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:18 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,769 Likes on 790 Posts

My Touring is deadlined right now waiting on a windshield. I just had the back glass replaced last month. Took it out to Colorado and took a small rock to the bottom of the screen and it sent cracks from pillar to pillar and ended my road trip. I was stopping and filling cracks with superglue to try and slow it down going back home.

There is an audible difference between standard glass and LWG but the trade off is these things are fragile. The rear glass on my car just spontaneously cracked. Went out to the car one morning and there was a 6” long crack across the center.

Also unsure if they changed the glass supplier or formula for 2024 cars. My 2024 with it doesn’t seem to have the same issues as my 2022 Touring does. Perhaps it’s not an issue anymore but I would tread cautiously. Me personally if I were presented with a choice I would opt for normal glass. Just get with Resonix and get his sound dead package. You will love it.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:20 PM
gwud2go
Track Day

@dixonk I would think it's hard to tell if the 2024 is any better until you've had it for as long of a time as the 2022. Resonix option looks very intimidating to me, having the car taken apart and re-put together and all...
Old 06-21-2024, 07:29 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,769 Likes on 790 Posts

@dixonk I would think it's hard to tell if the 2024 is any better until you've had it for as long of a time as the 2022. Resonix option looks very intimidating to me, having the car taken apart and re-put together and all...
Had the 2024 since November with 8k mi brand new, and the touring used with 1k mi on it since March now with 11k mi.

As for resonix solution…these cars are giant legos. Nothing to be afraid of. As a matter of fact it’s how I found and eliminated all the squeaks and rattles in the car. Riding in my car is nothing but intake and exhaust noise. I don’t hear tire roar, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, or any of that. Stereo sounds better too.
gwud2go (07-06-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 07:12 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

Is the 992 louder than a 991.1 base