Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche -- mistake? Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 08:29 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

I would be very surprised if the dealer is willing to unwind the deal. Maybe since it's still at the dealer they will. But if you've signed paperwork and sent money they may not be as willing.

What would I do? If I could I'd probably try and get my money back and find a different car. At a minimum, get more info on what they did to fix it like you said.

It's possible the dealer that had been servicing it just didn't do enough work to try and fix the problem and your dealer will be able to fix it, if there is still an issue.

I can also tell you that there's plenty of situations where you will discover an issue on a used (or even new) car that the dealer had never dealt with. I bought a C2S from a dealer, had been serviced there its entire life for 7 years, CPO car, I got it home and realized it had a pretty serious braking issue. My dealer had it for month, inclusive of the regional national Porsche field tech coming out and no one could solve the issue. It got sold back to my dealer and sold to another person. Point being, these are mechanical things and things will break. Either now or later. No such thing as a car that doesn't ever have issues unless it is never driven.

Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Brhade81 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:54 AM
Brhade81
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again all for your input. Apparently there are more service records available that include info about the work performed, that they will be sharing with me on Monday, including the work done after Owner 2 brought it in for the same issue as Owner 1.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:06 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Brhade81
Thanks again all for your input. Apparently there are more service records available that include info about the work performed, that they will be sharing with me on Monday, including the work done after Owner 2 brought it in for the same issue as Owner 1.
I took my car in twice for this issue before finding this TSB. I had to give it to them (the dealer could not find it even though I gave them the number!) and call Porsche myself to make sure they made contact. Good news is that after the TSB was followed the issue completely went away. I would not necessarily panic and try to cancel the deal if everything else is good.
Brhade81 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 09:23 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would be very surprised if the dealer is willing to unwind the deal. Maybe since it's still at the dealer they will. But if you've signed paperwork and sent money they may not be as willing.

What would I do? If I could I'd probably try and get my money back and find a different car. At a minimum, get more info on what they did to fix it like you said.

It's possible the dealer that had been servicing it just didn't do enough work to try and fix the problem and your dealer will be able to fix it, if there is still an issue.

I can also tell you that there's plenty of situations where you will discover an issue on a used (or even new) car that the dealer had never dealt with. I bought a C2S from a dealer, had been serviced there its entire life for 7 years, CPO car, I got it home and realized it had a pretty serious braking issue. My dealer had it for month, inclusive of the regional national Porsche field tech coming out and no one could solve the issue. It got sold back to my dealer and sold to another person. Point being, these are mechanical things and things will break. Either now or later. No such thing as a car that doesn't ever have issues unless it is never driven.

Best of luck!
I would think this would be easy to get out of. The dealer hid service records. It’s not like we live in the 1950s. A full service record dump would take 5 minutes. The fact that the dealer now says they have more details is a red flag. Everything should have been presented at first ask.
The following 3 users liked this post by adrianp89:
Brhade81 (06-10-2024), Larson E. Rapp (06-10-2024), PSPorsche (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 09:48 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

Given that it was just yesterday I would back out. Explain that the newly discovered records indicate the exact situation you cannot have. There are too many clean cars to get one which is problematic. Unless the deal was insane or something. In which case only you know the answer to the value equation. I think it's a back out and continue looking. The only way an out of state purchase makes sense is if you're buying the seller and the car is obviously in sound condition.
Brhade81 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 09:56 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Attach a 10 ft. pole to your chest when you approach the car and make sure you do not touch the car....
The following 2 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
911usmc (06-13-2024), detansinn (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:10 PM
Patrick Pigulski
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Cpo don’t matter if Porsche decides they will turn their back and make you hire an attorney
Larson E. Rapp (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:25 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Some states have a 'cooling off' period after sale exactly for these type scenarios. Check into that (I'm guessing this is the car in Melbourne FL that you were looking at).
You must be mixing thins up, was a different OP and the melbourne car was a single owner, 6k mile car.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:29 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Could this be the reason that owner # 2 sold the car already? If you have not sat in that particular car before and don't know how it drives, then you should go and test drive one as you might not even like the feel or the drive.
I always wanted a '91-'96 NSX and was actually flying to NC this past weekend for their East Coast meet until I had an oppurtunity to drive one 3 weeks ago As much as I liked the stance of the car, I just couldn't get past how low the dash was and how it made me feel inside the car
I have since no desire of owning the first generation NSX.
So please go and test drive the car or a similar one if there's one nearby.
Brhade81 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 11:58 AM
sur5or
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default At least in CA, if you don’t have the car it isn’t a done deal

Back in the day in California, this was a “possession is 9/10ths of the law” thing, and if you hadn’t taken possession of the car, you could walk away. Even if not straight law, the dealer should unwind the deal if you ask nicely within 48 hours. If they can’t hear you, a polite ask from an attorney in their state might help. Dealer should want to find a greater fool rather than risk depreciation while you and them duke it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by sur5or:
aspan (06-12-2024), Brhade81 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 01:01 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

If its really a good deal...and you love everything about the car and the TSB in question has not been performed then get the selling dealer to perform it and provide the documentation that it has been completed, i don't think Tech's will fake up a document i would like to think those days are over...

However i would not let the dealer delay the solution, this would need to be completed in a day or two, if they give you any further indication of the runaround i would cancel the deal.
research iof that state has a cooling off period they may try get you past that period.

then once you are satisfied you can fly in with some confidence that you will have a nice drive home...
Brhade81 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 03:04 PM
Brhade81
AutoX

Originally Posted by Gary12000
If its really a good deal...and you love everything about the car and the TSB in question has not been performed then get the selling dealer to perform it and provide the documentation that it has been completed, i don't think Tech's will fake up a document i would like to think those days are over...

However i would not let the dealer delay the solution, this would need to be completed in a day or two, if they give you any further indication of the runaround i would cancel the deal.
research iof that state has a cooling off period they may try get you past that period.

then once you are satisfied you can fly in with some confidence that you will have a nice drive home...
I believe it’s a good deal, I paid $105.5K which I believe is the lowest priced accident free 992 C2S in the country. Big build sheet too with a $145K sticker. However I don’t like the way the dealer provided partial records upfront, and more records are surfacing after sale, that are now painting a picture of a car that the previous 2 owners wanted OUT of.
Old 06-10-2024, 03:08 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Theres really nothing to think about. Run like hell.
Old 06-10-2024, 08:38 PM
Brhade81
AutoX

New development for those interested.

Dealer sent more service records today (they magically keep appearing after I press for more). The new record shows that just before Owner 2 traded it back in, he had the same exact issue as Owner 1, and they had to drop the powertrain again to replace yet another electronically faulty fuel injector (on cylinder 3 this time).

I don’t see evidence TSB2236 mentioned earlier in this thread was followed by the dealer. While they replaced the faulty injectors (1 & 2, then 3), it doesn’t seem the wire harness was ever replaced.

In any case, I sent an email formally requesting the dealer rescind / unwind the deal given the material misrepresentation of service history. I trust they’ll do the right thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brhade81:
adrianp89 (06-10-2024), qwertya (06-10-2024), uter (06-11-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 08:40 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Good luck, hope it all works out w/o headache.
Brhade81 (06-10-2024)

Quick Reply: First Porsche -- mistake? Looking for advice