Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More power and torque after 6K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 06:36 PM
division
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 25 Posts

I just crossed the 200 mile mark and things really seems to be loosening up.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:23 PM
TheOtherDave
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
There is really no evidence that these cars, or any modern cars for that matter, “loosen up” and get faster or more powerful with more miles. Take a look at any Car and Driver long term road test where they test a car new and again at 30K miles. Most perform virtually the same. A small handful perform slightly better and a small handful perform slightly worse. This could be chalked up to different weather conditions and road surface conditions during testing and perhaps a tiny handful of cars do break in and get faster (or slower) over time.

Personally I have never noticed any of my new cars getting faster over time. What I have noticed is the exhaust getting a bit louder and the suspension getting softer and less composed over time as the shocks break in and wear down even with as little as 10k miles.
I don't know about power but I have had 3 Toyota 4runners of various generations and they all started getting better highway mileage after 10-15K miles.....I documented it on several road trips I take multiple times a year
with each one.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:50 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts

Some of the seat-of-the-pants assessments here could be attributed to wear-in of the drive train components (transmission gears, etc.) which are not pre-tested at the factory. So it’s not just engine break-in.

Quick Reply: More power and torque after 6K miles