Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone chips on rear hips…anyone have pics to share?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024 | 01:22 AM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

My installer removed the clear factory fins, applied the 3/4 PPF, and then reapplied the original factory fins (which were apparently undamaged and reusable).
Old 05-27-2024 | 04:26 AM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Here's mine after a track day and 400km drive each way. Replaced the top layer and it's good as new.
The following users liked this post:
Onami (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024 | 10:52 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Master Deep
There’s no seams to see either. I asked for this too and my cab is done in 1 piece rear fender to rocker panel and you can’t tell it has PPF. Both sides together were $1,200.
I was being sarcastic, however, with a cabriolet, you are correct, as I did the same exact thing you did (worked like a freaking champ). With coupes, the lines are different and there is not that nifty seam that would need to be there if you did it the same way a cabriolet was done (along the body seams). I think I paid about the same at Naples Auto Armor. Can't remember, but you're on point with that.
Old 05-27-2024 | 01:32 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Full PPF, TLG Mug Flap, and Magnafins bac to there. Protection for the protection.
Shane@MagnaFins (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024 | 06:50 PM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Indyxc
Full PPF, TLG Mug Flap, and Magnafins bac to there. Protection for the protection.
Thanks for suggesting MagnaFins. The 992 hips are made of Kryptonite or something that won't take a magnet so my magnetic shark fin stone guards won't work. Yet.

I DO have a new product I call ClearFin that is clear removable, disposable protection. Like Indyxc says: protection for your protection. Designed for track days, autocross, road trips etc. It peels off in one piece leaving no residue. They can stay on the car for up to 2 weeks. I haven't tested longer. I think the dealer gets around $200 per side for clear plus installation. These are less than half that for 2 sets (4 pieces.) I just started selling them a few weeks ago.

25 second demo video here, Two and half minute install video here

I'm still trying to find a low-tack or no-tack material that is as easy to remove as the magnets, but it's difficult with the complex curves in the 992. I've tried at least a dozen. I don't offer them on my website yet, but I can cut black PPF or vinyl to make a 992 black fins. But you'd have to install like regular PPF fins and they would be removable only with heat, etc like the originals or similar aftermarket products. PM me if interested. Maybe I'm trying too hard to make them removable and reusable?

anjizkit (05-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Stone chips on rear hips…anyone have pics to share?