Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone chips on rear hips…anyone have pics to share?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024 | 08:49 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shogunade
This is the way. Why would you do you the whole side in one piece? It's inevitable it has to get replaced and you're just making it vastly more expensive for when it does.
Because their detailer/installer upsold them and "recommended" it.
The following users liked this post:
Crusje (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024 | 08:53 AM
Hunky
Pro

This multi layer stuff reminds me of Dr Faucci's "wear 2 or 3 masks if one doesn't work".
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunky:
Crusje (05-26-2024), thedak (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024 | 10:27 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHX
Because their detailer/installer upsold them and "recommended" it.
There’s no seams to see either. I asked for this too and my cab is done in 1 piece rear fender to rocker panel and you can’t tell it has PPF. Both sides together were $1,200.
PHX (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024 | 11:52 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emosgarage

I have full car PPF, and drove down a gravel road last year, and the hips looked sand blasted, so I had the PPF replaced. when they replaced it, they added a second smaller piece to the hips so that it can tear off without having to redo the entire piece that goes up onto the roof.
Wow…that is a crazy amount of damage! I think the secondary fin on top is a good idea. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2024 | 03:01 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emosgarage
I have full car PPF, and drove down a gravel road last year, and the hips looked sand blasted, so I had the PPF replaced. when they replaced it, they added a second smaller piece to the hips so that it can tear off without having to redo the entire piece that goes up onto the roof.
That’s a good theory, but my installer said that you can’t remove the outer layer without ruining the bottom layer. I asked this before and I found no one who successfully removed and replaced just the top layer in a 2 layer application. But maybe it is possible. If not, I guess 2 layers would protect better than one. Xpel is made in 8 and 10 mill thickness. I had the nose and hips covered in 10 mill and the rest of the car in 8 mill.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
Motorin Mark (05-26-2024), Onami (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024 | 07:20 PM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
That’s a good theory, but my installer said that you can’t remove the outer layer without ruining the bottom layer. I asked this before and I found no one who successfully removed and replaced just the top layer in a 2 layer application. But maybe it is possible. If not, I guess 2 layers would protect better than one. Xpel is made in 8 and 10 mill thickness. I had the nose and hips covered in 10 mill and the rest of the car in 8 mill.
My installer told me the same thing and he is very highly regarded and has done three cars for me. He said he has tried the two layer application on multiple cars but that its very difficult to remove just the top layer without also effecting the bottom layer due to the removal process, thus I went with the one layer and it is one piece and covers the entire side hips.
Old 05-26-2024 | 07:54 PM
kilyung
Instructor

I had two layers applied to the rear quarters. Not as a sacrificial layer but for 2x8mil=16mil.
Old 05-26-2024 | 10:17 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Went thru the PPF on the hips. This happened after I installed the GT3 side skirts. Another time I found a pebble on the passenger side skirt. I can't fathom how it got there.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2024 | 10:24 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Plus you don’t have to wash the bugs off the car immediately.

Old 05-26-2024 | 10:59 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I had my detailer remove the factory one on the hip and do a custom cut version that goes a bit higher (handle level) and cut's diagonally to the wheel well. I can't see it from a few feet away. It also covers the rocker panel, which gets destroyed here in Northern VA.

Remember that everyone's experience with rock chips is very dependent on where they are located. Some areas have great roads and very little debris or rocks and some are complete opposite. Maybe one should ask to have folks say where they are located when they post.
Old 05-26-2024 | 11:41 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ikone
I had my detailer remove the factory one on the hip and do a custom cut version that goes a bit higher (handle level) and cut's diagonally to the wheel well. I can't see it from a few feet away. It also covers the rocker panel, which gets destroyed here in Northern VA.

Remember that everyone's experience with rock chips is very dependent on where they are located. Some areas have great roads and very little debris or rocks and some are complete opposite. Maybe one should ask to have folks say where they are located when they post.

I don’t think it matters where you live. Sometimes a truck just dumps gravel out for no reason.
Old 05-26-2024 | 11:50 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don’t think it matters where you live. Sometimes a truck just dumps gravel out for no reason.
Yes. True. But I wouldn't say that's normal in every area. And I think it does does matter. Especially if you live in some European countries. Remember Rennlist has lots of folks from all over the world. Switzerland has some of the cleanest roads I've ever seen. But as soon as you drive across the border into Italy, different story.
Icegrill (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024 | 12:05 AM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Here in Arizona the roads are covered in rocks 100% of the time... Dump truck ahead or not. Heading out in the desert only makes it worse.
​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Fishah:
Icegrill (05-27-2024), Ikone (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024 | 12:14 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ikone
Yes. True. But I wouldn't say that's normal in every area. And I think it does does matter. Especially if you live in some European countries. Remember Rennlist has lots of folks from all over the world. Switzerland has some of the cleanest roads I've ever seen. But as soon as you drive across the border into Italy, different story.
Was just going to say except in Europe. The more of these discussions there are I think it boils down to what type of person you are. If you go to your garage and inspect the car under led lighting, ppf is a must. *Guilty….. If you don’t look at the car or have poor lighting in your parking area, go uncovered. But I guarantee all the people saying they don’t have paint blems or chips are conveniently not seeing them either. *Which would be nice….
Ikone (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024 | 12:19 AM
Biohazard
Racer

Originally Posted by ADsGT3
no wrap or coating? I also want more feedback on these guards. I’ll be installing them for sure but wanted to know how effective they really are and if a full qtr panel wrap is still necessary
I did do ceramic on it but it was one that I did myself.

Quick Reply: Stone chips on rear hips…anyone have pics to share?