Sponsored by:

Question re ceramic coating durability

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
It's a Carrera not a show car. People who put products on their car will wash their cars semi frequently so the relatively shorter life is not a major concern. I watched the pan organizer video about gyeon wet coat posted in the thread and it is better, but not by much. This was my car yesterday and my last spray wax was November. https://streamable.com/264xab
I realize that your car is not a show car…but I think you missed my point. Wax gives a deeper, warmer shine (some think better) than ceramic which has higher gloss and much better durability/longevity than wax. Wax is great…..just should be done quarterly. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-25-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:43 AM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I realize that your car is not a show car…but I think you missed my point. Wax gives a deeper, warmer shine (some think better) than ceramic which has higher gloss and much better durability/longevity than wax.
Depending on the weather and how many times you wash your car... In Kuwait, I apply it every year.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:48 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by melhechi
Depending on the weather and how many times you wash your car... In Kuwait, I apply it every year.
OK…..And in Thailand during the rainy season it only lasts 30 - 45 days.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:01 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

We began using ceramic coatings before it became popular in the US and have seen the product evolve

there’s good information out there, and there are many many GOOD products, but there are very few GREAT products because it’s become so easy to private label and sell it to the masses based on marketing and hype

when the car wash offers a ceramic coating package for $300 while you wait, or you can get ceramic spray for $20 at auto parts store, you know industry is saturated

Takeaway….buyer beware

Factors affecting ceramic coating wear:

#1 would be friction…ceramic is chemical resistant, so the more we wipe, wash, touch, the more it can wear down

prep is crucial…the steps taken to get to the point of application can take many many hours depending on what the car needs. Every car has a different environment and is used/cared for in its own unique way. But the end result to be ready for ceramic application needs to be the same. One vehicle may need clay and paint cleanser to get there, the other needs days of correction, only a professional can assess

the only way to truly know if the ACTUAL coating itself is lasting is to just wash. Any time we apply a ceramic spray retailer or any product to “rejuvenate” coating, we’re basically supporting the actual coating

sometimes when we wash, it may appear the coating is no longer holding up. Only a decontamination wash with the appropriate product will tell us how the coating is really doing. We are a CQuartz Finest installer and for us, that product is ironX…wash, decon, then assess the coating

often time the pores of the coating will get clogged with iron deposits or contamination, and the decon wash will release all that revealing the coating again…you can see the paint surface turn purple as the contamination is cleaned

we don’t warranty the coating at my shop…well, I guess we do, but common sense warranty. Manufacturer warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s written on…because to this day, there’s no tool that objectively lets us know if it’s coating failure, installation error, or poor home care

you have to trust the shop/installer has taken the right procedures and has done the best for your particular car…you’re spending good money, ask why and don’t get caught up in what it SHOULD cost based on anyone else’s experience

an honest and professional shop will have a coating to fit your needs, and sometimes that means you MAY have to up the budget, but it should make sense as this isn’t rocket science, but there is a method to the madness 😊

you’re not paying for the hours it takes to coat your car, you’re paying for the decades of knowledge dedicated to the craft
The following 4 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Calbenzo (05-25-2024), Jeff Whitten (05-25-2024), Oileater (05-25-2024), txpackers (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 01:52 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I will add that I started coating my cars (either myself or professionally) because after claying, polishing, and applying wax, I realized that I'm spending many hours and as fantastic as the results were, they didn't last very long. A ceramic coating on the car allows me to worry less about contaminants getting into the paint and let's me wash the car much more easily. I'll use Gyeon Iron to decontaminate and also use the quick detailer afterwards, which gives it extra protection. What used to be an all day affair, now takes about an hour. Especially since I now use a water deionization system. These things just make life easier and will keep the paint looking great longer. Try the plastic bag method to see how many contaminants get into the paint. It's crazy. I'm not here trying to convince anyone. I honestly don't care. It works for me and those who know, just know.

Old 05-25-2024, 02:32 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Another suggestion for those who have ordered cars that are inbound. Whether you wish to ceramic coat your car is your decision. Not trying to convince anyone to use ceramic over wax. BUT, if you do decide to go with a ceramic coating, you might want to do it right away while your paint is “factory fresh” and pristine (hopefully). If you wait, you then may (or may not) need to do an extra step involving a paint correction before applying the coating.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:36 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

I just want to also add, and make it clear…ceramic coating is nice, but it doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone and you MUST do it

Theres something therapeutic and simple doing traditional clay/polish/wax and you could use a nano spray sealant to maintain on washes

There’s more than one way to keep car clean and protected and new way isn’t necessary best for everyone
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Ikone (05-25-2024), Jeff Whitten (05-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Question re ceramic coating durability