Registering Car in NY (DTF-802)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 07:13 PM
BMW2PCAR
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering Car in NY (DTF-802)

Hi -

Recently traded my car (which was registered in NY - where I live) to a dealer in CA. This dealer did not collect NY or CA state sales tax. The guide on the NY DMV website seems to suggest that I fill out DTF-802 to determine any sales tax owed on the transaction. However, it does not seem to allow for any credit on the NY-state registered vehicle that I traded to the dealer in CA. How would I go about ensuring that I am not double taxed when registering the new car in NY?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2024, 07:34 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 934 Likes on 522 Posts

The sales contract for the CA dealer should show the value of the trade, against the new car's purchase price. Whatever the bottom line is then that you owe for the new car, that's what you pay the sales tax on.

Consider using a plate service company in NY. They make it very easy and you avoid all the hassle for a reasonable fee. They fill out everything, pay at DMV, collect your plates and either mail them to you or you pick them up. Biggest hassle is having to take the brand new car for a NYS inspection.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:35 PM
BMW2PCAR
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - not sure if you are in NYC, but could you recommend someone?
Old 05-17-2024, 07:50 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 934 Likes on 522 Posts

I am on LI so I only know a place there. It has to be a location that you can physically get to from wherever you are - they have to have a storefront, etc. Yelp has some listings for them but you have to check the map of where they are. I would start with the list below and match your location to ones near you, then check an online review of the companies.

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/authori...ervice-bureaus

You are going to need the original (not a copy) certificate of origin for the car, make sure the CA dealer gives you that. That's what is used to create your title. The other complication may be, if you have a loan, you are going to have to arrange to have that lienholder added to the title - but the plate service companies know how to do that.

Last edited by nyca; 05-17-2024 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Registering Car in NY (DTF-802)