Sponsored by:

992.1 Carrera T (manual) w/ M-Engineering Tune - experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 01:16 PM
mandrewdean
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 992.1 Carrera T (manual) w/ M-Engineering Tune - experiences

I've been running the M-Engineering/M-Tuner tune off/on with the 24 manual Carrera T for about a month now. I first had them add all the features, but turning off auto start/stop also kills the very convenient auto-start after you stall. The full open PSE is also VERY deep/bass-y at low RPMs, kind of on the edge of obnoxious for the street imo (or over it really, it gets looks).

I asked if they could keep the exhaust closed down at lower RPMs similar to stock PSE, and they customized my tune to "double" how open the exhaust is at various RPMs which made it sound REALLLY awesome. Not too much like it's straight exhaust, just more of what you get with stock PSE in sport mode.

I also got really paranoid after applying the tune, it might have been me but the PADM engine mounts felt like they were all the way loose or tight for a day after tuning, the whole car shook when you put it in normal mode at idle, and really almost violently shook when you feathered the gas at idle. That and right after you apply the tune (which takes 6 minutes for me), the dash throws errors like "pull handle again to open door" and WBA restricted. While the tune is being applied it's pretty scary, throwing errors like spoiler failed/lower speed. Side-note, I had just gotten the dash cam installed and the battery was pretty drained from me setting it up, I had to wait a day or 2 to tune because I kept getting low battery errors…And they say to be very careful with this since you can brick your ECU if it dies while flashing…So this amplified my paranoia quite a bit.

I was convinced the engine mount issue wasn't temporary, and I thought the auto start/stop defeat was permanently stuck on (car was warming up and gave the auto stop/start off icon), so I sent an alarmed email or 2 to the M-Engineering team, who I must say are really impressive. They are very responsive and surprisingly helpful/patient.

For the tune itself, the added performance with stage 1 is very linear and very noticeable especially in 1st/2nd gears, I imagine it's what the S feels like stock. The turbos are noticeably louder and blow off more pressure more often from the different boost calibration.

I almost get why Porsche doesn't normally sell a stick shift on base engine after running the tune for a while then going back to stock for a couple weeks. With more boost the engine gets through gears and revs faster, at stock 2nd gear is almost too long and disappointing without it. You ring out 1st gear which is amazing stock, then when you shift to 2nd gear, there's a serious dip before you get to max power around 6k RPM that just doesn't feel right and goes away with the tune.

I applied with an older intel-based macbook pro I had that I installed boot camp/Windows 10 on. It's also a USB-C only laptop so need to use a USB-C -> USB-A dongle. Despite all this the M-Tuner software works great and had only experienced an issue with needing to wait until the laptop was booted up/logged into Windows before plugging in the dongle, or it's not recognized.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them! Another thanks to M-Engineering for catering to my request and not telling me to f' off!
The following 2 users liked this post by mandrewdean:
rickawd (05-21-2024), Victory911 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:02 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

1. Porsche doesn't sell the base in stick because of some issues, it does it because it allows it to meet emissions standards/balancing across the line or some nonsense like that it. It is purely for regulatory conformity.
2. I thought there was going to be more on the whole "she's breaking apart Captain!" except you said how violent it was and then just transitioned to errors and battery fears without that. I presume it goes away.
3. You don't like the valves opened and went for the scaled 2x solution. I skipped the M-Eng tune and just got the Cargraphic valve controller. Open / Closed or PSE stock right from my PCM which allows me to leave my street before I make it louder.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:21 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mandrewdean
I've been running the M-Engineering/M-Tuner tune off/on with the 24 manual Carrera T for about a month now. I first had them add all the features, but turning off auto start/stop also kills the very convenient auto-start after you stall. The full open PSE is also VERY deep/bass-y at low RPMs, kind of on the edge of obnoxious for the street imo (or over it really, it gets looks).

I asked if they could keep the exhaust closed down at lower RPMs similar to stock PSE, and they customized my tune to "double" how open the exhaust is at various RPMs which made it sound REALLLY awesome. Not too much like it's straight exhaust, just more of what you get with stock PSE in sport mode.

I also got really paranoid after applying the tune, it might have been me but the PADM engine mounts felt like they were all the way loose or tight for a day after tuning, the whole car shook when you put it in normal mode at idle, and really almost violently shook when you feathered the gas at idle. That and right after you apply the tune (which takes 6 minutes for me), the dash throws errors like "pull handle again to open door" and WBA restricted. While the tune is being applied it's pretty scary, throwing errors like spoiler failed/lower speed. Side-note, I had just gotten the dash cam installed and the battery was pretty drained from me setting it up, I had to wait a day or 2 to tune because I kept getting low battery errors…And they say to be very careful with this since you can brick your ECU if it dies while flashing…So this amplified my paranoia quite a bit.

I was convinced the engine mount issue wasn't temporary, and I thought the auto start/stop defeat was permanently stuck on (car was warming up and gave the auto stop/start off icon), so I sent an alarmed email or 2 to the M-Engineering team, who I must say are really impressive. They are very responsive and surprisingly helpful/patient.

For the tune itself, the added performance with stage 1 is very linear and very noticeable especially in 1st/2nd gears, I imagine it's what the S feels like stock. The turbos are noticeably louder and blow off more pressure more often from the different boost calibration.

I almost get why Porsche doesn't normally sell a stick shift on base engine after running the tune for a while then going back to stock for a couple weeks. With more boost the engine gets through gears and revs faster, at stock 2nd gear is almost too long and disappointing without it. You ring out 1st gear which is amazing stock, then when you shift to 2nd gear, there's a serious dip before you get to max power around 6k RPM that just doesn't feel right and goes away with the tune.

I applied with an older intel-based macbook pro I had that I installed boot camp/Windows 10 on. It's also a USB-C only laptop so need to use a USB-C -> USB-A dongle. Despite all this the M-Tuner software works great and had only experienced an issue with needing to wait until the laptop was booted up/logged into Windows before plugging in the dongle, or it's not recognized.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them! Another thanks to M-Engineering for catering to my request and not telling me to f' off!
How do you find the tune when accelerating hard over 60mph? Is there a marked improvement? This is where I find the base may gain the most as I continue to be impressed by the pick up in low gear at low speeds on my base C4.

On a different note, are you worried about the car resale value or whether the dealer may not take the car back if you want to swap to a newer model in a few years from now?
Old 05-17-2024, 08:08 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by mandrewdean
I've been running the M-Engineering/M-Tuner tune off/on with the 24 manual Carrera T for about a month now. ...after running the tune for a while then going back to stock for a couple weeks.
Looks you joined yesterday and this is your first post - welcome. How long do you have the T?

Quick Reply: 992.1 Carrera T (manual) w/ M-Engineering Tune - experiences