Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Front Trunk--Again/Follow Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 05:32 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
I'm sure tow truck drivers carry jumper cables.

As i said before though, the jump pack would need to be in the cabin to be useful. Where I'm from that's just too much of a theft liability for me. I don't want to get a window broken because someone wants my jump pack (or what ever they think it might be).
Does your car not have a glove box or center console?
Old 05-15-2024, 05:38 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,965 Likes on 1,387 Posts

This is easy.

Carry this (or similar) in the back seat, its not very big and has a tremendous amount of power. Remember to charge it up once or twice a year. It will pop your front bonnet when used on the fuse-box pull out, and jump your car, either conventional or Li-Ion Battery.

I use this Noco unit, because I have a diesel truck as well - you don't need this much power, but its nice to have.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-15-2024, 05:59 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 986 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
How is the connector secured to the front? Does it flap/move around when driving?
At the hood junction where you see the Blue Tip... it actually tucks away down below the hood and window and does not flap around and is not seen when you tuck it away... we just show it so the Customer can understand how it routes out to and easy place to plug in your Jump Starter so you can easily pop the frunk, or jump start the car.
The following users liked this post:
CurryPuff (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 06:08 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crusje
You have something like that for a trickle charger?
No because our Harnesses have a built in diode to protect from back charge to your Jump Starter for safety... Lithium in the Jump Starters charges via a USB port and does not match a cars charging system, so we have this for safety. But in reality its quite easy to attach both to the terminals at the battery posts. But please note DO NOT TRY TO TAKE OFF YOUR NUT on your batterys post in Porsches. Just loosen it and cut the Ring terminal if its a complete circle, then slide it behind the nut and tighten..
Old 05-15-2024, 06:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I wonder if a 9v battery has enough juice for you to unlock the frunk one time. You could wire it up really easily.
No a 9v battey WILL NOT unlock the frunk. We know this specifically from testing when developing this Harness Kit we make. It take about 5 to 7 amps to get the latch to open and a solid 12+ volts. The locking system just doesn't work that well unless you get some good power to it. Also by powering through the RED Buss in the fuse panel the wiring is small and does not energize the entire car like it does when you hook up a GOOD Jump Starter. Tested for that also. Buy using the Jump Starter method with the harness you get something similar to your battery being in good condition so you can easily power the cars system so the key will work, the frunk keyfob or switch on the rocker panel will work and your aren't left dinking around at the fuse panel. Its a slam dunk that works.

Lastly our MICRO-START Jump Starter are literally HALF the size of the NOCO unit and offer MORE power, so they fit in you glove boxes easily. Yes we know NOCO is a bestseller on Amazon and they are an Amazon type company, we are not. But our product beat them on every performance metric, charging speed and features. Things like USB PD100 watt charging, much bigger battery inside a much smaller case format, detachable clamps on our most powerful units for ultra compact stowing. Check out the MICRO-STARTs here>>> https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro.../micro-starts/
Scott P (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:25 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 837 Likes on 464 Posts

Are the cables on your micro-start device long enough to reach the two attach points for the frunk pop operation? Or do you need an extension cable for the ground?
Old 05-16-2024, 06:45 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,965 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Are the cables on your micro-start device long enough to reach the two attach points for the frunk pop operation? Or do you need an extension cable for the ground?
Ground to the door hinge.
nyca (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:59 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,004 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I wonder if a 9v battery has enough juice for you to unlock the frunk one time. You could wire it up really easily.

It doesn't.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:59 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nyca
Yes, as Dr Collie noted door hinge is close, I believe someuse seatbolt and again yes.

And if you have no voltage reading, meaning battery very dead, our MICRO-STARTs also have a Bypass so you can get live voltage to the clamps and bypass the protections, so you can power your switch. The protections normally don't allow voltage to the clamps if they do not sense voltage from a battery, this is a safety measure so that you don't get sparks or have live voltage at the clamps that could short circuit something. So we made a bypass because sometimes the batteries are so dead they are not reading voltage or you need to apply power to some device.

Last edited by Antigravity; 05-17-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:08 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 837 Likes on 464 Posts

I ordered your XP-1 Gen2 unit now.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:19 PM
Biohazard
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts

@Antigravity How long will the charge last in glovebox?
Old 05-17-2024, 01:38 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 533 Likes on 203 Posts

It has probably been mentioned already, but isn't this a stupid design flaw by Porsche? How hard would it have been to have an emergency cable release like every other car in history? I say class action law suit.
nyca (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:40 PM
defiant2
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 50 Posts

@Antigravity I am interested in having a power source to pop the hood if necessary. It's for my 992 T (AGM) daily, but since I work from home and travel, there are periods where it sits.

So - I'd like to have a power source and a tender, with the connection peaking out from the passenger side hood. What product(s) do I select?

Any risk to leaving the jump pack in a hot car? Had a cheap solar USB brick nearly explode on my Bronco dash (swelled up like a mellon!) from sitting in the sun/heat, so don't want to introduce any possible fire hazzard (and have since tossed the cheap solar USB bricks at the battery recyclers!)

Thanks!
nyca (05-17-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Biohazard
@Antigravity How long will the charge last in glovebox?
it depends on the size of MICRO-START you would get, because one with a bigger battery has a bigger battery so more capacity and will sit longer due to the battery being bigger. We say to check it every 4 months, and make sure it charged if needed just so you have a good charge in Case of emergency. But note that in 4 months it will not be dead at all, it will just have lost about 10 to 15% of its charge, but we want to be conservative and tell people to check it every 4 months so they make sure they are keeping it charged in the event of emergency because you may forget about it for 6 or 7 months. But you can still have a charge almost a year later, but that isn't a good way to use one of these.

Also note our MICRO-START charge and offer from PD100w Charging (very fast and can power Apple and PC laptops... for example the XP20 models. other charge at PD 30 to PD60 w. Not matter the brand you get you should look for that also because it offer the faster charging that modern electronics require. Ours XP-20 can also be recharge fully in 1 hour and its 24,000mah so that is ultra fast recharging... but you have to use it special 100w charger that comes with it, or something compatible.
Biohazard (05-20-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 08:39 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by defiant2
@Antigravity I am interested in having a power source to pop the hood if necessary. It's for my 992 T (AGM) daily, but since I work from home and travel, there are periods where it sits.

So - I'd like to have a power source and a tender, with the connection peaking out from the passenger side hood. What product(s) do I select?

Any risk to leaving the jump pack in a hot car? Had a cheap solar USB brick nearly explode on my Bronco dash (swelled up like a mellon!) from sitting in the sun/heat, so don't want to introduce any possible fire hazzard (and have since tossed the cheap solar USB bricks at the battery recyclers!)

Thanks!
REally good questions...

- Here what you would want to do if you not driving the car and out traveling... if you need something to cover a month or two.. Don't try to use Battery Charger/Tender. The reason for this is they run of 120v, and whille you could attach a Battery Charger/Tender to an inverter you are losing alot of energy in the conversion and it draws alot of energy when in standby and doing a low power maintenance even. You could also use a Powerstation to power your battery tender but again the conversion is going to suck energy as well as the inverter staying on draws alot of energy in the Powerstations. So you could run out of energy oretty fast. If you are going away on a trip, and don't mind having and extra Car Battery in your frunk or a table next to your car, just get another cheap Car battery with like 500Amp Hours... which is a small one, and connect it in parallel to your existing battery in your car. You can just use a small set of Alligator clips using like 14guage wire or some aligator ended test leads since you will NOT be starting the car, or running the car like this. Your essentially making a battery bank to get more capacity, and you won't have any extra power drawing because your not trying to power a 120v device. Your simply making your battery larger, and your draw will only be from your car. You could make it super quick and easy For example you could have a battery tender lead like the one for charging, them also get the Battery Tender leads with Alligator clips that plugs into your Battery Tender leads coming from your batttery (make sure polarity stay correct). then just clip onto the extra battery you put in your frunk when traveling.

As far as a hot car and Jump Starter.... if you have the Jump Starter under your seat or in the glove box it will be fine. ON the dash is really bad beacuse temps can get over 190 degrees. The type of lithium chemistry used in these Jump Starters is more prone to heat damage and even swelling, and worst case scenario fire... compared to the type used for Automotive Starter Batteries because they are a super energy dense chemistry. So high heat can shorten their life but in general they will not be a fire damage unless they are put into a very extreme temperature. Our Jumpstarters come with a padded case that acts as insulation to a degree, but under the seat and away from direct heat and sunlight nailing them is OK for them.

I also forgot to mention you can use a solar battery charger and a small solar panel about 60w minimum and keep it charged if you have some sun, we make those also.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Front Trunk--Again/Follow Up