Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 12:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As with applying the PPF, buy the installer, not the product.

A skilled installer can remove PPF as if it was never there.
+1
Old 05-07-2024, 12:52 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sesselmarder
Thank you very much for everyone's input. Very much appreciated!

I would like to ask the opposite question: Can PPF safely be removed?
Watching YouTube is slightly painful. I am always asking myself if the PPF adhesive can be removed properly? Can the removal process damage the clear coat or even the paint?
excellent question

find out what film, specifically, is used

I cannot tell you how many times we ask a new client that’s had film installed elsewhere and wasn’t happy, what brand was used and they have no idea

the adhesive are varies across all films. What makes this even more complicated is that there are so many companies that aren’t ppf manufacturers or even in the space, getting film manufactured and private labeled

there’s even detail shops/ppf shops that are private labeling for their own installations

quality ppf from manufacturers in the dedicated space will have excellent adhesives and newer technology should not be a problem being removed if film is cared for properly and experienced technician removing the film

hope this helps
Old 05-07-2024, 01:45 PM
PJS313
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
excellent question

I cannot tell you how many times we ask a new client that’s had film installed elsewhere and wasn’t happy, what brand was used and they have no idea

the adhesive are varies across all films. What makes this even more complicated is that there are so many companies that aren’t ppf manufacturers or even in the space, getting film manufactured and private labeled

there’s even detail shops/ppf shops that are private labeling for their own installations

quality ppf from manufacturers in the dedicated space will have excellent adhesives and newer technology should not be a problem being removed if film is cared for properly and experienced technician removing the film

hope this helps
Quick question for you @MoeMistry ...do you know much about CovrGard PPF? My detailer in NJ is really really great and that is what he is using he swears by it I have just never heard of it before. https://covrgard.com
Old 05-07-2024, 03:35 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

excellent question

hope this helps
Also wouldn’t the amount of time that film has been on the vehicle be a consideration? Just like any adhesive can break down over time with UV? Isn’t that the reason for the limited warranties?
Old 05-07-2024, 03:36 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PJS313
Quick question for you @MoeMistry ...do you know much about CovrGard PPF? My detailer in NJ is really really great and that is what he is using he swears by it I have just never heard of it before. https://covrgard.com
I’m not familiar with that brand, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a good one

I’d ask your installer how long he/she has been using it and what type of real-world experience is seen

Ask why are they using that brand instead of XPEL, Suntek, STEK, etc. and how is it superior for YOUR specific needs?

That last question is very important…many times clients just want something they’ve read about or watched a YouTube on and assume that’s the best.

But when they have a shop that first asks about their needs and what problem is to be solved, you may find the product choice may change than what others are doing

make sense?

Old 05-07-2024, 03:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tna3
Also wouldn’t the amount of time that film has been on the vehicle be a consideration? Just like any adhesive can break down over time with UV? Isn’t that the reason for the limited warranties?
Yes…how long film has been on the vehicle and how much of that is exposed to the elements will play a huge role in adhesive performance
Old 05-07-2024, 05:30 PM
PJS313
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m not familiar with that brand, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a good one

I’d ask your installer how long he/she has been using it and what type of real-world experience is seen

Ask why are they using that brand instead of XPEL, Suntek, STEK, etc. and how is it superior for YOUR specific needs?

That last question is very important…many times clients just want something they’ve read about or watched a YouTube on and assume that’s the best.

But when they have a shop that first asks about their needs and what problem is to be solved, you may find the product choice may change than what others are doing

make sense?
Really appreciate your response...makes great sense.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,774 Likes on 5,139 Posts

Yes…how long film has been on the vehicle and how much of that is exposed to the elements will play a huge role in adhesive performance
This is something that many people forget about PPF.

The best PPF product, installed by the best installer, will still fail prematurely if the owner leaves the car to bake in the hot sun daily, refuses to wash the car, or keep the PPF clean.

Just like when dental hygiene, a dental cleaning at the dentists is important, but homecare (flossing, brushing, etc.) is just as critical.

PPF isn't a "get it and forget about it" thing.
The following users liked this post:
MoeMistry (05-11-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:38 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As with applying the PPF, buy the installer, not the product.

A skilled installer can remove PPF as if it was never there.
Funny story, but I had a few pieces of PPF replaced. The guy came out to inspect the car to discuss what exactly they were replacing, and as we were talking he casually removed several pieces of the PPF. You just lift the edge with your fingernail and pull it off. Anyone that makes this seem overly complicated or a highly skilled task is trying to make money off you.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:26 PM
9ElevenFan
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ElevenFan
Well said and 100% true. If you are a careful driver (don't follow trucks etc) and not a daily on the highway you can probably skip the front altogether. Most of the rock damage is from the cars own tires. So PPF for the leading edges behind the wheels for sure, rocker panel, front of rear wheel flare (extended) and again behind the rear tires. I keep meaning to take some pictures of mine to show the coverage. If I were to do it again, I would seriously consider skipping the front clip. I never follow cars closely and don't drive on the highway that often. But the car is always picking up rocks from its own tires and throwing them up. Sticky tires do that. I feel like ppf to the impact areas mentioned above are 100% required. If I was looking for a used one - I would be looking for a car that had this coverage (and yes may pay more for it).
Finally took a couple of pictures of the rear flares. Note that there is a base layer that runs to the top of the door handle height. Then the shark fin was placed on top of that. The lighting is the worst possible (to show you edges). The first photo is of the other side (with normal lighting) so you can see that it is not really noticeable.

The following 2 users liked this post by 9ElevenFan:
Icegrill (05-11-2024), RatherJaded (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:37 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,618 Likes on 925 Posts

Finally took a couple of pictures of the rear flares. Note that there is a base layer that runs to the top of the door handle height. Then the shark fin was placed on top of that. The lighting is the worst possible (to show you edges). The first photo is of the other side (with normal lighting) so you can see that it is not really noticeable.

That is what was done on my former ‘24 T with Xpel 10 mil film.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:37 PM
Sesselmarder
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks very good indeed and not very noticeable.
But what would happen over time, when dirt accumulates along this edge? I read it will be very hard to clean and you will then see a black line, especially on lighter colors.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:19 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
Funny story, but I had a few pieces of PPF replaced. The guy came out to inspect the car to discuss what exactly they were replacing, and as we were talking he casually removed several pieces of the PPF. You just lift the edge with your fingernail and pull it off. Anyone that makes this seem overly complicated or a highly skilled task is trying to make money off you.
that’s a very risky thing to do. It’s best practice to use steam when removing ppf to mitigate any chances of paint lifting

It may seem easy and simple and anyone can do it, until the time paint lifts and a repaint just became part of the equation
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (05-12-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 08:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,190 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Looks good right now, but in short order you’ll see the dirt line that builds along the edge of the film.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:27 AM
double-o-seven
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Perhaps the biggest risk of PPF installation is the risk of the film layer permanently bonding or fusing with the clearcoat. This happens more frequently if the car is subject to intense sunlight (i.e. California, Arizona, Texas) for much of its operating life for over 4+ years. If the bond in the aging film to the clearcoat is stronger than the bond among the clearcoat + basecoat + primer, then the paint will lift, and you will suffer permanent and very significant paint damage on your car.

Most people do not really know what will happen to the car with certainty when an old PPF layer (4+ years old) is removed. The damage is only "felt" at the time of un-wrapping. Most installers will never tell you about this risk, because un-wrapping is typically many years out and they just want your $$$ now.

Another significant risk with PPF installation is permanent blading / scratch marks that hide under the PPF layer. You won't see those blade mark damages UNTIL you unwrap the films. Imagine damaging your brand-new car paint at PPF shop that way, and NOT knowing about it until it gets un-wrapped years later. Personally, I'd never bother with PPF.

Last edited by double-o-seven; 05-12-2024 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: And another PPF question....