Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And another PPF question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 03:01 AM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone is going to have a different opinion. I’ve ppf’ed cars for years. Heck, I have suntek on a white 2015 Avalon (full front) that hasn’t yellowed a bit. Wife’s X7 has full front suntek as well. Plan is to full wrap on my 911 carmine red when it comes in July. For me it’s not resale per se, I just think my cars look better without rock chips and I tend to keep my cars for a while. I figure, if I’m paying 160k for a car, what’s 6k more. I think a lot of it depends on how much rock chips on the hood or hips would annoy you.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:21 AM
Chris_Edgar_86
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up my 2024 2 weeks ago and have been going back and forth on this too.

What I’ve decided is this….

I specd it in base white with the intention of not doing PPF and driving the heck out of it.

I only started thinking about PPF after the dealer, friends, forum, detailers all pushing it.

But it’s not something I want to be bothered with and will feel much better after I get my first dent/ scratch.

I am doing ceramic (for ease of cleaning not protection obv) and also put on the TLG front flaps, hopefully the flaps minimize some rocks getting to the hips of the car but who knows if they’ll help or not.

If this were something I was really trying to preserve the value of, like a GT car or a Turbo, I’d probably do the full car.

But it’s a T that I built to drive everywhere. Therefore I’m not super concerned about chips, dents etc. I’ll drive carefully by trucks and such, but have come to terms with it’ll never be as perfect as the day I got it and that each dent is a testament to the miles I put on the thing doing cool stuff with my family in it.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:35 AM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Spent $8000 for full body ppf. Does feel comfortable though that you would get some sort of protection.
Would I do it again? No if only having the car for a short term. Yes if it’s a keeper.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:01 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Question of coverage simply comes down to YOU and YOUR threshold for pain

PPF should NOT be done for resale IMHO…it’s to give YOU peace of mind

you MAY never get your ROI back financially, BUT a car that has PPF and is protected should sell faster and for asking price as it’s in better shape aesthetically than one that has usual wear/tear rock chips

also, when selling the car, if you have ppf, you can simply remove it to reveal the protected paint underneath…if no ppf, that’s not an option

with that said, mirrors forward, side hips, and rear bumper edges are a good starting point

here’s what most our clients do:

https://www.glisteningperfection.com...protection-ppf

find a great installer that can prep, install, and ceramic coat as that’s best practice

ppf will need maintenance and you’ll want to replace some areas later…better to work with a local shop that’s been around for many years and specializes in Porsche

dealers can be convenient, but remember, it’s just another employee of the dealer doing actual installation…an independent shop should have more experience and more skin in the game as they have a personal reputation to protect

hope that helps

Last edited by MoeMistry; 05-05-2024 at 11:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
rasetsu (05-05-2024), Yojeffo (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:03 AM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there a dollar-for-dollar return for PPF on a resale? No, of course not. But, is a serious buyer more likely to pay a premium for a well maintained exterior? Absolutely. Best way to sum it up, I sold my 991 privately. When the buyer saw the car, to quote, “the finish on this car is better than most new cars I buy!”. It’s a no-brainer IMHO.

YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by bboerit:
MoeMistry (05-05-2024), Yojeffo (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:06 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bboerit
Is there a dollar-for-dollar return for PPF on a resale? No, of course not. But, is a serious buyer more likely to pay a premium for a well maintained exterior? Absolutely. Best way to sum it up, I sold my 991 privately. When the buyer saw the car, to quote, “the finish on this car is better than most new cars I buy!”. It’s a no-brainer IMHO.

YMMV
+1….almost 30 years experience in this business, and that statement is very true
Old 05-05-2024, 11:11 AM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Ceramic protects against non impact environmental stuff; PPF protects against impact events.

Regardless of how often or how you drive it, you’ll constantly self generate damage down the skirts, rear qtr, and behind the wheels.

Lots focus on front only, but you really need to protect the sides as much/more.
I agree TXshaggy......I have great experience with PPF and where its best used. On the 911 I would do front bumper and headlights if the car is going on Americas crappy interstate system loaded with dump trucks! But I would skip the full hood install. And to your point I would ABSOLUTELY do rockers, trailing edge of front and rear bumpers to protect against tire kick up and the flare of the rear qtr panels.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:32 AM
Crusje
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 132 Posts

I've been to the dealership a few times this year and saw a bunch of 911s with no ppf with scratches and swirls everywhere, and crappy dealer installed ppf with dirt along the edges. All of them have sold within a few weeks. It's an overblown issue by people who go to forums. Most people do not care that much about cars as long as it's not rusted.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:37 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
I agree TXshaggy......I have great experience with PPF and where its best used. On the 911 I would do front bumper and headlights if the car is going on Americas crappy interstate system loaded with dump trucks! But I would skip the full hood install. And to your point I would ABSOLUTELY do rockers, trailing edge of front and rear bumpers to protect against tire kick up and the flare of the rear qtr panels.
Just quick note that Porsche does not recommend PPF be used on headlights. I’ve heard it will void the warranty but I’m no expert on that. My installer would not apply PPF to Porsche headlights.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:36 PM
PhilH930
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

Front PPF for me. It’s for protection, and once hit (which it will) it skuffs and will always be visible (offset by hopefully protecting the paint). Easily replaced and move on.

PPf full car is a little overkill imo, but ceramic is great for very easy washing!
Old 05-05-2024, 04:06 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So I’m leaning toward full wrap b/c front ppf is 3k. To ceramic coat the car is $2500. To wrap the full car in suntek reaction is 6k. Suntek reaction is suppose to have ceramic coating in it. So for me, for a few bucks more might as well just wrap the car and skip ceramic coat later.

Last edited by dvu; 05-05-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:42 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
Just quick note that Porsche does not recommend PPF be used on headlights. I’ve heard it will void the warranty but I’m no expert on that. My installer would not apply PPF to Porsche headlights.
This is true. The headlights have clear coat on them from factory and PPF can damage it. If you get a crack on the headlight, you could go through your insurance for replacement, I don’t think this would show up on CarFax as an accident. Should be like a windshield crack.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:39 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 138 Posts

My car was CPO and came with PPF which I probably would not have done. I am glad it is on it!

When washing this weekend, I noticed nicks in the PPF on the front bumper, hood, mirrors and hips.
The hips take a beating.

Glad the nicks are in the PPF and not in the paint.

I also love using the XPEL no rinse wash. The car cleans quickly.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dvu
So I’m leaning toward full wrap b/c front ppf is 3k. To ceramic coat the car is $2500. To wrap the full car in suntek reaction is 6k. Suntek reaction is suppose to have ceramic coating in it. So for me, for a few bucks more might as well just wrap the car and skip ceramic coat later.
Just an FYI…Reaction is a great product but the coating on it last about 6 months

I installed it on my wife’s new car and did it for personal FYI…since I know how my customer cars behave for years with a dedicated ceramic coating, I wanted real-world experience with Reaction

around the six month mark, water behavior and any self cleaning abilities had diminished noticeably

we sell it as a great film out of the box with excellent stain resistance BUT still we apply a coating
Old 05-05-2024, 10:48 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shambler
My car was CPO and came with PPF which I probably would not have done. I am glad it is on it!

When washing this weekend, I noticed nicks in the PPF on the front bumper, hood, mirrors and hips.
The hips take a beating.

Glad the nicks are in the PPF and not in the paint.

I also love using the XPEL no rinse wash. The car cleans quickly.
thank you for sharing your real-life feedback and experience

confirms what we preach

Quick Reply: And another PPF question....