Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a tow hook license plate block the parking sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024 | 04:44 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dcr91754
So the dealer kinda sidestepped the whole front plate, as most people do not like the look. For a daily drive - mostly streets I feel like a front plate is needed as I do not want to get stopped for a fix it at my age. The factory plate, I have seen can be drilled in - but my question is can it just be drilled in on the plastic portions and not the metal - has anyone done this. I have seen the tow hook option, and the sun coast option is ok, as its connection is shorter than the arm version.

Drill the black portion only?
What do you mean "at your age"? Police in some areas may use it as probable cause to pull people over who they suspect are carrying drugs. Most such people are younger and aren't driving Porsches.

None of the visible surfaces in front are made of metal. It's all plastic. Either painted plastic or just satin black plastic. Drilling into any of it is completely unnecessary if you are willing to purchase any of the aftermarket solutions available. See my earlier reply about the mount from Carbonio. It's a spring loaded clamp that goes on the bottom of the bumper.
Old 05-14-2024 | 06:11 PM
dcr91754
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info didn't realize it was all plastic. The Carbonio, adds a little to underside, and I spent 2.7 grand on the front axle lift because my driveway has a pitch, so that kinda defeats the purpose.
The following users liked this post:
nyca (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024 | 06:15 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info didn't realize it was all plastic. The Carbonio, adds a little to underside, and I spent 2.7 grand on the front axle lift because my driveway has a pitch, so that kinda defeats the purpose.
I'd argue that it doesn't defeat the purpose at all if you have FAL. If you are using FAL anyways, then even less chances of the plate bracket scraping.

Last edited by rasetsu; 05-14-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2024 | 06:05 PM
manous
AutoX

Default Tow Hook License Plate Am I the only one with problems?

Am I the only one having problems with the RHO plate relocator? Tried a million different ways but the sensor keeps going off every time I slow down or stop. Driving me batty. Any suggestions before I send this back

Old 05-21-2024 | 06:25 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Default Rho plate adjustment

Your attachment point on the Rho backing plate may be wrong. It should be, (and can be) lowered). From your photos, your license plate is too near to the parking sensor. I am attaching a close up of the location of the triangular bracket which I used. This positioning provides ample clearance from the sensor.

Old 05-21-2024 | 06:38 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

I had issues parking sensor triggering issues on my Rho plate V2 that I installed a week ago too. Finally found a position that worked, which is the suggested placement illustrated in the instructions but with a tilt of the lower part of the plate outward which brings the upper part of the plate inward and closer to the sensor. Seems counterintuitive to bring it closer to the sensor but I think bringing it closer actually takes out of the sensor's field of view, and that has worked for me. And I didn't have to trim the top of the license plate at all. It's weird though because when it rains, it still triggers the parking sensors somehow. But when it's dry, no issues.
Old 05-21-2024 | 06:41 PM
adrianp89
Pro

I’d rather uproot my entire life and move to a state that doesn’t require this… then to install that lol
Old 05-21-2024 | 07:46 PM
nyca
Drifting

So that's why the cars with the RHO plate all have crooked/tilted license plates. Can't deal with that look. The STO-N-SHO is looking better to me at this point.

Last edited by nyca; 05-23-2024 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2024 | 07:50 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Originally Posted by manous
Am I the only one having problems with the RHO plate relocator? Tried a million different ways but the sensor keeps going off every time I slow down or stop. Driving me batty. Any suggestions before I send this back

You've installed it wrong
You need to flip the 3 bolt attachment and offset it to the left (as looking at the front of the car)

Old 05-21-2024 | 07:52 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyca
So that's why the cars with the RHO plate all have crooked/tilted license plates. Can't deal with that look. The STO-N-GO is looking better to me at this point.
Mine is cos it got loose and i was too lazy to find the allen wrench or get a locking washer :-)
Old 05-21-2024 | 08:08 PM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

So the dealer kinda sidestepped the whole front plate, as most people do not like the look. For a daily drive - mostly streets I feel like a front plate is needed as I do not want to get stopped for a fix it at my age. The factory plate, I have seen can be drilled in - but my question is can it just be drilled in on the plastic portions and not the metal - has anyone done this. I have seen the tow hook option, and the sun coast option is ok, as its connection is shorter than the arm version.

Drill the black portion only?
@dcr91754 ,

It should be possible to drill up from underneath the black "upper lip" (the section where your front camera is mounted).

The standard license plate bracket that came with your car mounts from underneath, but it also has holes to drill into the blue painted bumper on your car. However, you can opt not to drill into the painted part. This would not be visible to anyone, if you ever remove the bracket.

Take a look at my previous post to see how someone else did this…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1410...l#post19420908

Old 05-21-2024 | 08:52 PM
nyca
Drifting

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
@dcr91754 ,

It should be possible to drill up from underneath the black "upper lip" (the section where your front camera is mounted).

The standard license plate bracket that came with your car mounts from underneath, but it also has holes to drill into the blue painted bumper on your car. However, you can opt not to drill into the painted part. This would not be visible to anyone, if you ever remove the bracket.

Take a look at my previous post to see how someone else did this…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1410...l#post19420908
That's not a bad approach - the only thing it needs to add is some kind of quick connect/disconnect fastener so that its easy to remove the mount (in other words without needing a screwdriver).
Old 05-23-2024 | 03:05 AM
Chalk992911S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrianp89
I’d rather uproot my entire life and move to a state that doesn’t require this… then to install that lol
I agree. I live in and frequent another state, both states require front plates. I haven’t had front plates on all 5 of our vehicles over almost 30 years, without 1 issue - combined driving of 40K mi year.
Most of our friends are LEO’s, state, city, and county. They all said they’d never pull me over because they completely understand and wouldn’t want to ruin the front with a plate either.
Of course unless you’re doing some really dumb **** and then an ******* to them.

My front tow hook (for track) is in the way and sets off the sensor. I just go into settings and turn off the parking assist. But I have to turn it off every time I turn off the car and restart it. I’d like to permanently turn it off.

Last edited by Chalk992911S; 05-23-2024 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Does a tow hook license plate block the parking sensor?