Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Blower Perspective (cleaning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 03:23 PM
dak656
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm another vote for a DI tank (prefer the Clean Garage or Adams style tank). Get the car dry-ish with a towel, and done. Everything else evaporates and leaves no spots.

I used to use three towels to dry a car to prevent spots. So much quicker with DI water for final rinse. Can even skip the dry process if in a time crunch.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Use a mobile detailer.
The following users liked this post:
silverscooby27 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:37 PM
TheOtherDave
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Well, you can get a lower cost blower with just a filter - but its corded. This one gets good reviews, especially at that price point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZGYS49...kCode=ogi&th=1
As nyca said if you can do cords a unit designed as a car dryer works well.

I have had the the previous model of this one
Amazon Amazon
for 4+ years so I can't comment on the reliability of the current one (and this is not a recommendation....just information).
There are other vendors/models out there that probably work just as well.

It's over $200 (however this one can blow heated or cold-ish air ) but it will make you happier than scratches from a duster or towel.

If you have a decent coating on your car (ceramic, wax, PPF) it is powerful enough to blow pollen off as long as it hasn't been rained on/wet.
It also has a level **** to dial in the air output (in addition to the heat control which is on/off).

The velocity of the air coming out of this is way above what a leaf blower can provide. It will blow the water out of joints, weather stripping
cavities....etc.

I also use it for blowing out the interior of cars right down to the cracks in the seats, vents and the carpet. I some times use this to
blow the dust into the air and have my SO use a leaf blower through the car to make sure the dust goes out and not just drops back down.

One note make sure you are holding on to the end of the hose before you turn it on or you will understand why firefighters get
injured by pressurized hoses.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:06 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

The solution is to just buy an inflatable bubble for your car to park inside. Being exposed is a PITA with all that pollen.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:09 PM
Deerfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks all for multiple comments/advice. Again, challenge is no water source and no outlet in my condo garage - so trying to find a solution for best and most efficient use of a car wash bay wash and then manual dry -

Ideally (especially with pollen) - car needs to get cleaned weekly - mobile detailing at $90 a pop gets expensive very fast. I do get my car washed and detailed 3 times a year at $200 with a professional but need a weekly "quick" solution - hence my questions here.

Leaning towards the Ego as it as well doesn't look like it is to space consuming in our limited condo closet space.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:35 PM
PhilH930
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by por356
Did the leaf blower at first, and felt it did a decent job, but popped for Adam's blower and it does a much better job drying. Still can't believe how long it takes to blow out all the water that collects in and around the P O R S C H E lettering.
What Adams blower did you go for? I see they have three between the mini air cannon, air cannon jr, and air cannon.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:48 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,187 Posts

The ego is heavy. Well the 7 something model anyway. And it's really more than you need IMO.

You're not gonna be able to do much with pollen. I wouldn't use anything towipe/slide/clean off anything on the surface of the car. You'll just create tons of swirls.

The whole point of the blower is to minimize how much you're touching the paint. With ceramic coating, the water should bead away easily with blower. Then you can just dab the leftover water gently and pat dry, never wipe.

Wheels first. Then top down. Pay extra attention to windshield cowl, engine slats, side mirrors rear light bar logo and gas tank. It really shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes going nice and slow and enjoying yourself.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:57 PM
Deerfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Understood - thanks.
I was looking at the Ego 580 - the one mentioned in an above post and holy crap it is heavy - 30 pounds! That is a workout indeed.

When you say "overkill and more than I need" what are you referencing? Weight and cost? Anything more light weight and effective you would recommend - giving my limitations?
Old 04-29-2024, 05:00 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Yours is ceramic coated, so buy a battery one and don't look back! You'll have trouble wiping the smile off your face when you dry it with the blower and then break out some drying aid, towels, and whip through it in 20% the time it would normally take.

Then drive your beauty home and have a beer!
Tobeit (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:05 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave
As nyca said if you can do cords a unit designed as a car dryer works well.

I have had the the previous model of this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
for 4+ years so I can't comment on the reliability of the current one (and this is not a recommendation....just information).
There are other vendors/models out there that probably work just as well.

It's over $200 (however this one can blow heated or cold-ish air ) but it will make you happier than scratches from a duster or towel.

If you have a decent coating on your car (ceramic, wax, PPF) it is powerful enough to blow pollen off as long as it hasn't been rained on/wet.
It also has a level **** to dial in the air output (in addition to the heat control which is on/off).

The velocity of the air coming out of this is way above what a leaf blower can provide. It will blow the water out of joints, weather stripping
cavities....etc.

I also use it for blowing out the interior of cars right down to the cracks in the seats, vents and the carpet. I some times use this to
blow the dust into the air and have my SO use a leaf blower through the car to make sure the dust goes out and not just drops back down.

One note make sure you are holding on to the end of the hose before you turn it on or you will understand why firefighters get
injured by pressurized hoses.
Despite the obvious issue that you need to have a power outlet (which OP did not have) nearby my main complaint with these small units is that you need two hands - one for holding the unit up high enough and the other to hold the hose and direct it for where you want to clean it. Also, while more powerful, the nozzles of these small units are small and takes time to dry the entire car. Leaving the unit on the floor next too the car never worked well for me even when I got an extended hose to reach the roof and top of car as I then tracked the long hose along the car and sometimes rubbing it on the car when drying the hood.

On the other hand - once ceramic coated (and I would recommend that independent of how you wash your car), a smaller, lighter 40V battery operated unit is plenty to get the car dry and you can just operate mostly with one hand (maybe two when holding over the roof). Maybe some deep cravices not but 90% of the work is done quickly and the rest is a quick touchup by hand. At least that works for me and I don't have to lug around the cabled units. Now, if installed in my garage, I would go all the way and make sure its installed on a swing arm on the ceiling so that you can reach the entire car like the vaccuums and sometimes blowers at car washes. Go big or go home or don't bother kind of mindset.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:05 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerfield
Understood - thanks.

When you say "overkill and more than I need" what are you referencing? Weight and cost? Anything more light weight and effective you would recommend - giving my limitations?
Both. I just went with a Milwaukee cause I use their tools and have tons of batteries. I'm sure someone can chime in with recommendations, but I'd definitely go cordless. Just less to do.
Fullyield (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:07 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deerfield
Understood - thanks.
I was looking at the Ego 580 - the one mentioned in an above post and holy crap it is heavy - 30 pounds! That is a workout indeed.

I use this one, 13lbs and decent powerful.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Gen4...ded/5002904975
Old 04-29-2024, 05:44 PM
por356
Racer

Received 392 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilH930
What Adams blower did you go for? I see they have three between the mini air cannon, air cannon jr, and air cannon.
https://adamspolishes.com/products/a...r-cannon-dryer

Place in front or back of car, hose long enough that you don’t have to move it.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:47 PM
TheOtherDave
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
my main complaint with these small units is that you need two hands - one for holding the unit up high enough and the other to hold the hose and direct it for where you want to clean it.
Mine (and many others) is on wheels. I do have to attach an extension cord to get all around a car and yes it is tied to a plug.

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Also, while more powerful, the nozzles of these small units are small and takes time to dry the entire car.
Mine takes about 10 min for the whole car most of which is on the hood, roof and windshield as horizontal-ish surfaces take longer.
Turning on the heat speeds up the process a lot in cooler weather. It's not "hot" but definitely warmer than
air temp.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:51 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave
Mine (and many others) is on wheels. I do have to attach an extension cord to get all around a car and yes it is tied to a plug.
Mine takes about 10 min for the whole car most of which is on the hood, roof and windshield as horizontal-ish surfaces take longer.
Turning on the heat speeds up the process a lot in cooler weather. It's not "hot" but definitely warmer than
air temp.
I do like the one you linked that is on wheels - much better than the other one that was linked earlier. You got an extension from the same source? Something to consider (unlike the OP, my condo wash bay as power close by and if any disadvantage with battery units...I forget to charge them or my wife drained the battery usin g it for other work).

PS: I just read that this Adams only produces 392CFM whille my cheap Kobalt 40V produces 520CFM...and I guess the main difference is that the Adams has a narrow nozzle, which increases the speed of the blower but makes the area it cleans much smaller.

Last edited by Tobeit; 04-29-2024 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Blower Perspective (cleaning)