Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PEC car with engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 04:25 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Next buyer.... "Have you ever tracked the car?" Nope, not me.

Personally, they should be giving a discount. It's like buying a rental but a tracked rental. Heck, they probably went over everything with a fine tooth comb and it's probably as good as any other CPO. Just not sure I'd want to take the chance unless I got $ off knowing there is more wear on things.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:40 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

No way I’d buy one. I’ve done two of these sessions. Almost every single run, some time is spent doing launch control runs to ~100mph then FULL braking. These sessions are booked all day long 5 or 6 days a week. I’d think the average PEC car has experienced hundreds of launches, and that’s what would concern me the most as you are really putting maximum strain on the drivetrain.
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (04-27-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 04:45 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

I'd be fine buying one with that history if the price reflected it. Car is at least 10-20k overpriced in my book but the car itself will be fine.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:15 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
I’ve never seen a manual 992 available at PEC Atlanta. They have those at other PECs?
I drove a manual at Atlanta.

Before deciding to buy a GTS my dealer offered me, I booked a manual Carrera S at PEC Atlanta. It was the only manual they had I think. When I met the instructor, who was a really nice older gentleman, he asked me why I picked a manual. He said, most folks pick PDK and very few pick a manual. I told him I had never driven a manual and really wanted to try it out. He looked like a deer in headlights. I started laughing and told him I was joking. I think I almost gave him a heart attack. But he did enjoy the joke.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
AlterZgo (04-26-2024), PSPorsche (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:17 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a PEC car and it's been flawless, however it is PDK. There is a price for every car and every person. Being a pretty rare color and spec, and given I still haven't gotten an allocation call, and the massive price increases, I am more than happy with the purchase. I also have no thoughts of resale. If I am selling it, it's because I am being forced to. With that being said, the PDK is idiot proof, a manual gearbox is not and is probably how the engine ended up being replaced. I'd have a hard time with this one unless it's a steep discount and a few more years on warranty. If you have been looking for months and can't find this exact spec - try to make a deal. If you have been looking for 3 weeks... give it a few months.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:08 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

Are you sure it was actually used at the performance driving part of PEC? Some cars are executive cars there or used in their Porsche (weird) lease fleet, where you can grab different cars every week if you want.

I would look into that and if it was used at the performance portion, take a harder look at it than if it was used in any other capacity at a PEC.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:16 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 101 Posts

My $0.02 worth, since you asked…….
Are you buying this car for its future resale value or are you buying this car because you want a fantastic awesome driving machine that will bring a smile to your face every time you buckle up?
I think your concerns about resale are overblown in my personal opinion. Buy the car, drive it like you stole it and stop worrying about how much you might be able to sell it for in the future. Who knows, you may fall madly in love with this car, and decide to keep it until you go to your grave. You would not be the first.
Just my humble opinion.
Good luck and remember YMMV!
R
Old 04-26-2024, 08:54 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Are you sure it was actually used at the performance driving part of PEC? Some cars are executive cars there or used in their Porsche (weird) lease fleet, where you can grab different cars every week if you want.

I would look into that and if it was used at the performance portion, take a harder look at it than if it was used in any other capacity at a PEC.
the fact that it needed an engine replacement at 3k miles and new tires tells me it was tracked. it was also delivered (according to the window sticker) to PEC in atlanta.

ya i slept on it and decided to pass. car has an msrp of $150k and they're asking $153k; i'm sure i could've gotten them down a bit but with all the headache associated with this car i'd be a buyer at $135k or so, which i'm sure they wouldn't go down to.
PHX (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 06:56 PM
defiant2
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 54 Posts

I've never seen a manual car anywhere at the customer-facing centers (ATL, Barber or LA), but perhaps this was a press car? (I have seen those, particularly in the recent T, in magazine tests, etc.) Do those get delivered to PEC before entering press rotation? Just guessing. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2024, 07:19 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by defiant2
I've never seen a manual car anywhere at the customer-facing centers (ATL, Barber or LA), but perhaps this was a press car? (I have seen those, particularly in the recent T, in magazine tests, etc.) Do those get delivered to PEC before entering press rotation? Just guessing. Good luck!
See my previous comment in this thread.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:01 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

This one is easy…..

​​​​​……OP, without overthinking it, what does your GUT tell you? You know the answer to that question. Listen to your gut the same way you would before going raw in some random chick.

PEC cars are for many people, but based on your level of concern they aren’t for you. Don’t force this.
The following 2 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
por356 (04-27-2024), TK42ONE (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 12:02 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
This one is easy…..

​​​​​……OP, without overthinking it, what does your GUT tell you? You know the answer to that question. Listen to your gut the same way you would before going raw in some random chick.
LMAO. This literally made me laugh out loud. I've been there. I ran.
M3Inline6 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 12:04 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
LMAO. This literally made me laugh out loud. I've been there. I ran.
….Like Carl Lewis, or the roadrunner from the coyote. lol!
Ikone (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 12:37 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
This one is easy…..

PEC cars are for many people, but based on your level of concern they aren’t for you. Don’t force this.
I spit up my drink on this one!!!
M3Inline6 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 02:09 AM
zscaler
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

First, I don't think it is worth to buy a PEC car at MSRP. Not at all. You can find similar CPO for less or at MSRP. Meanwhile I truly don't understand the whole thought process of some of the responses that claimed that a Porsche that is being tracked is such a bad thing. I mean these cars are meant for track. Any given weekend track session, probably you are putting 200 miles on the car, 6 sessions a year it is already 1200 track miles. It is not like PEC cars are not maintained at all, they have a workshop in Atlanta, and the breaks are flushed, oil changed etc, so proper maintenance is definitely done. I have been a 911 driver along with Cayman since 2004, and every year on average I have done 7 track weekend sessions. No issues at all.

Quick Reply: PEC car with engine replacement