Sponsored by:

PEC car with engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:05 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 80 Posts
Default PEC car with engine replacement

so i found a 992 that i'm interested in. its listed with a porsche dealer as CPO. When looking at the carfax it was weird because the first entry was at 3k miles and being sold by the dealer as CPO. spoke to the GM and it turns out its a PEC car. and it had an engine replacement at 3k miles (its at 3068 now). Its CPO and being sold pretty much at MSRP. part of me is screaming RUN but another part of me its intrigued. It has a new engine and 4 new tires. 4.5 years of warranty. specced perfectly (manual transmission most importantly). if i was to build this same car i'd be paying about $15k more due to increases in MSRP.. if the DME report is clean (does it even matter at this point since its a new engine?) is there any reason not to get it?
Old 04-25-2024, 02:18 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

You will take a bath on resale but that also depends how long you plan to hold onto the car.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,190 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I would pass. PEC cars should be sold at a substantial discount, replaced engine aside, but they’re not.

They’ve made probably $20k on renting the car out to be thrashed, and somehow people pay MSRP for them.

It’s 3k hard miles on components, wear surfaces, etc. I’ve done two different PEC experiences, and that’s my opinion. Mechanically, the car is fine, perception wise, buyers will have the same hesitancy you’re experiencing.
The following users liked this post:
Staffie Guy (07-23-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 02:24 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
so i found a 992 that i'm interested in. its listed with a porsche dealer as CPO. When looking at the carfax it was weird because the first entry was at 3k miles and being sold by the dealer as CPO. spoke to the GM and it turns out its a PEC car. and it had an engine replacement at 3k miles (its at 3068 now). Its CPO and being sold pretty much at MSRP. part of me is screaming RUN but another part of me its intrigued. It has a new engine and 4 new tires. 4.5 years of warranty. specced perfectly (manual transmission most importantly). if i was to build this same car i'd be paying about $15k more due to increases in MSRP.. if the DME report is clean (does it even matter at this point since its a new engine?) is there any reason not to get it?
Too much "unknown" I would not touch it and agree that the resale will always be reduced.

There is always another deal.

John
Old 04-25-2024, 02:45 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 80 Posts

so just got off the phone with them again. so its.. interesting..

PEC, before selling the car, pulled over rev report and saw multiple over revs. based on that they replaced the engine. So interestingly the engine replacement does not show up on the service record. Now that is both a blessing and a curse, since the DME still shows over revs. He did say they were reaching out to porsche to see if they can get a new DME but that is a long shot. So i would have no issue with trusting the reliability of this car, but i'm very scared about resell. If the DME is pulled they will see over revs but they wont see any history of engine replacement. but i will have paperwork showing the engine replaced by PEC. the car also had full ceramic and PPF applied by the dealer so looks pristine on the showroom floor
Old 04-25-2024, 02:51 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

PEC, before selling the car, pulled over rev report and saw multiple over revs. based on that they replaced the engine. So interestingly the engine replacement does not show up on the service record. Now that is both a blessing and a curse, since the DME still shows over revs. He did say they were reaching out to porsche to see if they can get a new DME but that is a long shot. So i would have no issue with trusting the reliability of this car, but i'm very scared about resell. If the DME is pulled they will see over revs but they wont see any history of engine replacement. but i will have paperwork showing the engine replaced by PEC. the car also had full ceramic and PPF applied by the dealer so looks pristine on the showroom floor
I would still not trust the reliability of the car. The engine is not the only thing to be concerned about. Also, I'm guessing this is a manual (due to DME and over-revs)? I wonder how the gearbox and transmission looks. Even if not Manual. What about brakes? PEC is hard on brakes. Etc. Etc. I wouldn't even think about it unless it was substantially discounted.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:59 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

So you'd buy the car if theres a new DME report and cause the engine replacement isn't disclosed on its carfax report. So then the next potential buyer wouldnt have a clue about any of this. And this isn't even to get the car at a significant discount.

Your soul is worth more than MSRP.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shogunade:
RG88 (04-25-2024), shrimp money (04-25-2024), Staffie Guy (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 03:19 PM
Surlygerman
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't done the PEC, but I have done the BMW Performance School. Having seen how these cars are thrashed on a daily basis there is a 0% chance I would buy one, especially at original MSRP. In the case of BMW, they won't even CPO a driving school car.
Nobody who has driven that car has done so with any care. That includes more than just throwing the engine through its paces. That 3,000 miles is probably equivalent to 30,000 miles of strangers getting in and out of your car, hammering the brakes, grinding dirt into the carpet.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,774 Likes on 5,139 Posts

There's a price for every car, no matter its history.

But at MSRP for this car?

Last edited by ipse dixit; 04-25-2024 at 03:27 PM.
RG88 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 03:32 PM
suffer
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

Buying a PEC car is probably the last resort when it comes to the 992 market. Can you not find a new or like-new example for a little more? I'd sooner pay an ADM for exactly what I wanted.

These cars were driven hard and put away wet. No thanks.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:38 PM
Evolution1
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 77 Posts

I would stay away going through this now with my 2024 911 T with 544 miles, I had an engine failure and had the engine replaced under warranty, I was told by the service manager I would take a 20 to 25 % loss on resale; PCNA repurchased it from it has the remainder Porsche warranty for 4 years not sure what PCNA will do with it.
I decided on the repurchase since I was going to trade it on a GTS even with sales tax savings on the GTS, it was still a loosing proposition.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:42 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Since you're scared about resale, don't buy it. When you're selling this car, the next buyer won't care that you had the engine replaced, etc. They would still expect a big discount.

Personally, if I could get an allocation, I'd pay the extra $15K to get the latest model, brand new, spec'd exactly how I like it with full peace of mind knowing the history of the car. $15K is literally a drop in the bucket when talking about these pricey cars.

I think a car like this would be great for a buyer who plans to keep the car for a long time and/or plans on modding the heck out of it and not caring too much about resale. But not at MSRP. That's insane to pay MSRP for a used PEC Porsche that needed an engine replacement due to too many overrevs.
achilleas101 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 03:56 PM
jay elliott
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would not touch this car at that price....having been to PECLA and seeing how these cars are used for the 90 minute session, it is a tremendous amount of wear on the car. Knowing how they hold up so well for the typical 5K miles they retain them was a factor in me buying a new 911ttS. In my 90 minute session, I did launch control 11 times......and this car is used for many sessions a day, and to get to 5K miles, there has to be an amazing amount of use/abuse, far beyond what an owner would typically do...... Just get a new one unless this is tremendously discounted.

Last edited by jay elliott; 04-25-2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:18 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

I’ve never seen a manual 992 available at PEC Atlanta. They have those at other PECs?
Old 04-25-2024, 04:22 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 886 Likes on 544 Posts

Seeing that resale is part of your equation, avoid this car. This car, IF sold at a significant discount which it is not, could be a good candidate for a buyer who plans to mod the heck out of it to beat the heck out of it.

Quick Reply: PEC car with engine replacement