Sponsored by:

992 tune comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 03:34 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,099 Likes on 459 Posts
Default 992 tune comparison

I am contemplating a tune but the engineer in me had to compare the 3 major tuners for any appreciable differences when making the decision who to go with. With a new handheld tuner from APR, it prompted me to do a deeper analysis on the base engine tunes and how they differ.

Just wanted to share for those that might be in the same predicament. I may be incorrect on a few of these, it's just what I could gather from each respective tuner's website. What's a little unclear is the hp/tq from Softronic and what octane is needed for these numbers.

Numbers are based on a 992 Base car and data is only relevant to the 992 platform:

I like the idea of the resetting of the ECU flash count from APR but the tunes are canned right now, and I would like to be able to customize with exhaust flap control and they don't have compatibility stated for MY 2024 yet.

Hope this helps anyone trying to sift through all the data.

Edit: Updated again with % gains over stock - it's a bit misleading as some have crank hp and others have whp.

Last edited by Schn3ll; 04-18-2024 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Updated again based on new info - will add S/GTS soon
The following 3 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
Fullyield (04-18-2024), Harbortime (04-17-2024), Old Ranger (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:41 PM
ecf34
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for putting this together. Cobb is another option (just received mine but have yet to install it): https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...-carrera-s-gts
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:42 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ecf34
Thanks for putting this together. Cobb is another option (just received mine but have yet to install it): https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...-carrera-s-gts
Crap, I knew I was forgetting something.

I'll add it shortly and amend the first post.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:05 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,570 Likes on 569 Posts

The final dyno numbers listed there is not an accurate representation of a power comparison between these. At the end of the day, it's the delta of before/after tuning that makes the difference. It's the percentage gain that is important and what matters. You will find a lot of dyno numbers that are high also have high baselines as well. Dyno brand, DA that day, humidity, temp, etc. all play a factor in final output. A lot of generic especially European "server tunes" will also turn off engine knock thresholds and run cars in unsafe conditions to keep power output high. It's important to have a tuning solution that allows the end-user to view the empirical data on how their car is running. We provide this via datalogging that the end user can view and we can also review as well. By not having this available it makes you wonder what the car is doing or what is being hidden and it also limits support and diagnostics. I cannot tell you how many times we have retuned cars from other "tuners" on our own dyno to find some pretty insane shortcuts or blatant disregard for engine safety applied. That's not to say that there are not other good tunes out there, but there are certainly some on the market to watch out for and steer well clear of.

We are here to answer any questions anyone has about tuning these cars, we were the first to offer OBD2 tuning for this market and pride ourselves in being the tuning authority for all things 992. You can also PM us here or call us at 949.444.2150 or info@m-engineering.us
We charge a premium for our product because we offer the best solution you can possibly get.

-Charles@M
The following 6 users liked this post by M Engineering:
2thHappy (04-17-2024), IRunalot (04-19-2024), Master Deep (04-18-2024), rmb1973 (06-09-2024), SBAD (04-18-2024), Tupper (04-17-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2024, 04:11 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I am contemplating a tune but the engineer in me had to compare the 3 major tuners for any appreciable differences when making the decision who to go with. With a new handheld tuner from APR, it prompted me to do a deeper analysis on the base engine tunes and how they differ.

Just wanted to share for those that might be in the same predicament. I may be incorrect on a few of these, it's just what I could gather from each respective tuner's website. What's a little unclear is the hp/tq from Softronic and what octane is needed for these numbers.

I like the idea of the resetting of the ECU flash count from APR but the tunes are canned right now, and I would like to be able to customize with exhaust flap control and they don't have compatibility stated for MY 2024 yet.

You sure APR can control exhaust valves and cold start delete? Also besides what M engineering mentioned with regards to dynos, I think your table has wheel hp and crank hp mixed for vendors.

edit. Also, I don't think APR's is wireless. Still need a laptop to plug into.

Last edited by stiff///M; 04-17-2024 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:12 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,138 Likes on 675 Posts

DATALOGGING IS KING!

@Softronic why do you recommend NOT disabling cold start (for a car with NO cats)?
Old 04-17-2024, 04:57 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stiff///M
You sure APR can control exhaust valves and cold start delete? Also besides what M engineering mentioned with regards to dynos, I think your table has wheel hp and crank hp mixed for vendors.

edit. Also, I don't think APR's is wireless. Still need a laptop to plug into.
According to APR, yes: https://www.goapr.com/products/softw.../ECU-30T-992-U

APR just released the new wireless tuner yesterday.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
dg108
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
DATALOGGING IS KING!

@Softronic why do you recommend NOT disabling cold start (for a car with NO cats)?
I quoted from the Softronic site in another thread why that is. It has to do with circulating oil in a horizontal engine.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:15 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

According to APR, yes: https://www.goapr.com/products/softw.../ECU-30T-992-U

APR just released the new wireless tuner yesterday.
That product looks like it just plugs into the OBD port and then into a laptap. It allows you to tune from home but not wirelessly from what I understand after reading about it. So it ends up being similar to M-Engineering's except that you can access the all different tunes from their library instead of getting your tune emailed to you directly like ME.

Also, this is APR's response to the question in the other thread.

Quote:
- What kind of functionality is available? i.e. exhaust flap control, start / stop defeat, etc. and how do we go about making those requests if possible?
The only options we have on this platform right now are octane and Stage 1 or Stage 3.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:19 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

At the end of the day, any tuner here can make the same power as others, they are all working with the same levers and *****, though each have there own specific 'special sauce, etc'. To me what matters most is to evaluate the customer experience, responsiveness, etc - at the end of the day that will likely color your tuning experience far more than just comparing features and $$$.

Last edited by jlegelis; 04-17-2024 at 05:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jlegelis:
2thHappy (04-17-2024), Angryinch (04-17-2024), Tupper (04-17-2024), zachr (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:25 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,138 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by dg108
I quoted from the Softronic site in another thread why that is. It has to do with circulating oil in a horizontal engine.
The oil is moved around via an oil pump under pressure, what does it matter that the engine is horizontal, vertical, sideways etc (in my mind)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:26 PM
silencei2
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Worth noting about the COBB Accessport is the ability to switch maps using the Accessport as well as data log. This can all be done without needing a laptop as the Accessport can store logs and maps. You will still need to hook up the Accessport to a laptop to transfer these files on and off. You can also monitor engine parameters via the Accessport to look for knock events, AFR, boost, etc.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:30 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silencei2
Worth noting about the COBB Accessport is the ability to switch maps using the Accessport as well as data log. This can all be done without needing a laptop as the Accessport can store logs and maps. You will still need to hook up the Accessport to a laptop to transfer these files on and off. You can also monitor engine parameters via the Accessport to look for knock events, AFR, boost, etc.
Added
Old 04-17-2024, 05:52 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts

Edit: Cobb added
Hello,
The octane is mentioned under the product and other info under FAQs:
​​​​​​"The performance software tuning results in these typical performance gains for stock vehicles, all files are tested with 93oct ." This is also thesame as 98 RON and 91 simply produces less power the same applies to the factory tuning, also its the same file for 93 and 91.
We also do not incrament the flash counter since we started to be the first company to offer port flashing to the customer in 2006. Options are also listed for all cars dating back to 2000 as they vary by the model.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Last edited by Softronic; 04-17-2024 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Text as its late and in the EU for 2 weeks....
Old 04-17-2024, 06:29 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 210 Posts

Cobb allows on the fly map switching? Last when I had Cobb on my 718, you had to flash and power down and etc, if you consider that on the fly, M Engineering and APR would be the same as well.

Quick Reply: 992 tune comparison