Sponsored by:

992 tune comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:15 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,103 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
You are comparing OTS ‘off the shelf’ standard tunes, which frankly is meaningless because at some point every tuner comes up the physical limits of octane and turbo capacity, so it’s just their decision how ‘close to the edge’ they want to get with your car in terms of ‘safe’ horsepower.

Rather than comparing ‘features’, take the time to understand the mechanics of tuning so you can ask informed questions, particularly regarding the safety factors that are in place to protect your car, etc.
Correct, but like any product for sale, most make an informed decision on what to buy based on information provided unprompted by the manufacturer.

When asked for details, they may not give away their special sauce, and each one is going to espouse why theirs is better. If they aren’t producing sufficient reasons in easily accessible information, that’s on them, and it shouldn’t require consumers to press for more detail.

Do you go to the grocery store, look at the steaks and then ask the butcher if you can speak directly to the farm that raised the cow so you ask detailed questions about the diet and grazing pastures? Or do you look at the steak and pick the one that looks the best?
The following users liked this post:
Pokey1 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,575 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I am happy to update and want an objective comparison. I have no dog in this fight - this is just based on the info gathered from each respective tuners website.
Thank you for putting this comparative info together and starting a good discussion.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:30 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harbortime
M Engineering people come across so cocky. It's not a good look.
I am glad to hear M Engineering and Softronic’s comments. Encourage APR and COBB to comment also. That is why we are having this discussion.
asellus (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:32 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by elvisdoc
Where can one find these used Cobb tunes good sir?
I just sold my Cobb for my 981S on PCA Market. Sold same day I posted it.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:20 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Just updated the OP again.

If anything is inaccurate, please help me correct this. I do not wish to sell any company short in what they are offering with these tunes.

This is merely an attempt to get all data laid out as objectively as possible so individuals can make their own informed decisions using a handy guide to make it easier.
Fullyield (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:26 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 839 Likes on 387 Posts

>> Correct, but like any product for sale, most make an informed decision on what to buy based on information provided unprompted by the manufacturer.

Like cabinetry and furniture, perhaps you should go for a full custom 'pro tune' on a dyno and skip the 'Ikea' OTS version? That way you can handle the good to your hearts content until they're the way you like it. As the racer's adage says, "Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"
Old 04-18-2024, 10:27 AM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Just updated the OP again.

If anything is inaccurate, please help me correct this. I do not wish to sell any company short in what they are offering with these tunes.

This is merely an attempt to get all data laid out as objectively as possible so individuals can make their own informed decisions using a handy guide to make it easier.
Not to be a jerk but this much of this table is wrong and misleading. It seems like you are only updating things you want to. Besides the dyno numbers being a mix of crank vs wheel hp as mentioned already, it's the delta % of the stock vs tuned you should show. Then the "wireless" and "onthefly" ability is wrong as well.
reddsektor (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

>> Correct, but like any product for sale, most make an informed decision on what to buy based on information provided unprompted by the manufacturer.

Like cabinetry and furniture, perhaps you should go for a full custom 'pro tune' on a dyno and skip the 'Ikea' OTS version? That way you can handle the good to your hearts content until they're the way you like it. As the racer's adage says, "Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"
992 tune = $2,000
Custom cabinets = $50k+

I've spent less time than it took you to write these posts to make a decision to buy $15k+ watches. Some people don't have time to be pedantic and the money isn't the issue. They just want a bit more power, don't need a pro-tune, aren't drag racing anyone and are interested in specific meaningful features. That's the aim of this comparison.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:36 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stiff///M
Not to be a jerk but this much of this table is wrong and misleading. It seems like you are only updating things you want to. Besides the dyno numbers being a mix of crank vs wheel hp as mentioned already, it's the delta % of the stock vs tuned you should show. Then the "wireless" and "onthefly" ability is wrong as well.
I am using the data provided by the tuners. How else should I have displayed the information if this is exactly what anyone else searching for would be looking at as well?

What am I not updating? Could you be constructive?
Old 04-18-2024, 11:04 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 839 Likes on 387 Posts

>> I've spent less time than it took you to write these posts to make a decision to buy $15k+ watches.

good for you. peace out.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

>> I've spent less time than it took you to write these posts to make a decision to buy $15k+ watches.

good for you. peace out.
You clearly took offense to my point - thin skin will get you far in the real world. Good luck.

The point you missed is that the cost of a $2,000 tune is nothing to most 992 owners - these are $150k+ cars. And most of us don't have time to reach out to each of the tuners and ask specific questions about their protection parameters for safe engine tuning and the 3,850 rpm boost curves.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:30 AM
Harbortime
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

You clearly took offense to my point - thin skin will get you far in the real world. Good luck.

The point you missed is that the cost of a $2,000 tune is nothing to most 992 owners - these are $150k+ cars. And most of us don't have time to reach out to each of the tuners and ask specific questions about their protection parameters for safe engine tuning and the 3,850 rpm boost curves.
---EDIT---

I thought jlegelis post was full of great information and added value to this thread unlike your hot air.

Last edited by Harbortime; 04-18-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:33 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Gheez you're a rude and opinionated one. You think everyone in the world should think and act just like you right?

I thought jlegelis post was full of great information and added value to this thread unlike your hot air.
What information of his added value? Saying that "comparing OTS tunes is meaningless" which is exactly what I am comparing? Or saying "I should be asking questions" when the whole point of this was to compare what tuners put on their websites for us to compare against?

What did I say that was rude or opinionated? I think you are conflating your feelings with facts.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:30 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 793 Likes on 354 Posts

I am using the data provided by the tuners. How else should I have displayed the information if this is exactly what anyone else searching for would be looking at as well?

What am I not updating? Could you be constructive?
Rather than listing hp/tq, you should list the delta over the tuner's baseline (both whole # and %) for a more apples-to-apples comparison.

M Eng doesn't increment a flash counter and is claimed to be undetectable if removed before a dealer visit; that said, I assume if your engine exploded while tuned Porsche may have a way to figure that out and that would be true for any tune.
reddsektor (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:31 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Gheez you're a rude and opinionated one. You think everyone in the world should think and act just like you right?

And your unsolicited snarky comment about M Engineering contribution to the discussion was polite and objective????? Ohhh, pleeeaaaase!

Quick Reply: 992 tune comparison