Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine auto Start/ stop permanent turnoff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 02:56 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianAhern
I have configured the individual mode on the drive mode selector to turn it off. I select this engine mode once the engine is started. My car is a 22 PDK with sport chrono. I don’t know if manuals have a different set of options.
I did this too. Problem is, I often think to switch to Individual mode when rolling to the first stop, realizing the engine's about to be killed. And to get to Individual, you have to pass through Sport+. Can't tell you how many times this has spiked the engine revs in ridiculous ways. Makes me look like a hooligan. Pretty sure doing this next to a cop will end with me explaining on the side of the road how it was the car's fault. "Well, you see, officer, I was trying to fix my *** problem...." "Out of the car!"
The following users liked this post:
jmrichards (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:06 PM
Colokent
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by HappinessProcured
I did this too. Problem is, I often think to switch to Individual mode when rolling to the first stop, realizing the engine's about to be killed. And to get to Individual, you have to pass through Sport+. Can't tell you how many times this has spiked the engine revs in ridiculous ways. Makes me look like a hooligan. Pretty sure doing this next to a cop will end with me explaining on the side of the road how it was the car's fault. "Well, you see, officer, I was trying to fix my *** problem...." "Out of the car!"
I have had that momentary rev happen too when flipping through Sport and Sport+. Problem is...in actuality, I AM a 63-year old hooligan (aka HOON), so if it happens next to a cop...I'll just confess!
Old 04-17-2024, 03:16 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Warm up oil quicker because engine runs hotter in NORMAL than in SPORT.
Warms up faster on sport/sport+ because the engine runs at a higher rpm. If I run mine in normal, in the winter, I barely hit operating temperature by the time I'm to my office. Which is 20 miles. In sport it hits operating with a few miles to spare.

​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Fishah (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:16 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

>> And to get to Individual, you have to pass through Sport+.

Can't you rotate it the other direction to avoid Sport+?

Last edited by jlegelis; 04-17-2024 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:02 PM
Colokent
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Warms up faster on sport/sport+ because the engine runs at a higher rpm. If I run mine in normal, in the winter, I barely hit operating temperature by the time I'm to my office. Which is 20 miles. In sport it hits operating with a few miles to spare.

​​​​
Interesting...good to know.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:08 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> And to get to Individual, you have to pass through Sport+.

Can't you rotate it the other direction to avoid Sport+?
You can, but it's just the dial that rotates and it won't go past wet mode back around. I feel like people are being a little to silly. I can rotate the dial fast enough to where it doesn't blip the engine. Plus I do it before it revs down from initial start up. If you can't do that, then just configure one your custom buttons to turn off auto start/stop. Easy.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ikone:
dg108 (04-17-2024), jlegelis (04-17-2024), mikey94025 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 04:13 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,593 Likes on 573 Posts

The Auto Start/Stop (A/S/S, that's fun to say) is able to be easily defaulted to off with M-Tuner or the less expensive M-Coder available for all 992 Carrera and Turbo models. It is not possible to program this out with a Porsche PIWIS (including the PIWIS 3 and PIWIS 4 engineering models).

-Charles@M
Old 04-17-2024, 05:07 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

>> defaulted to off

@M Engineering , my understanding is A/S/S could be permanently 'disabled' via an M flash, and requires a reflash to 'renable'. OTOH, 'defaulted to off' implies it will be 'off' when starting the car, but you still have the on-demand capability to turn it on while driving. It's an important nuance, please clarify...

Last edited by jlegelis; 04-17-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:19 PM
dg108
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know about others but we have *** on a 718 and 992, both manuals, and I think between us it has actually kicked in twice. I don't even bother to turn mine off anymore, but when I get my M tuner I'll turn it off since I'll have the option.

Quick Reply: Engine auto Start/ stop permanent turnoff?