Sponsored by:

992 S Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 04:45 PM
ATLPORSCHEGUY
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It's a mechanical failure that is covered by the warranty. Your suggested steps are a heck of an escalation here.
Who's the attorney even engaging? Diminished value appraiser for a mechanical failure? None of this gets the OP back on the road.
Wow. "Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what your'e talking about." How do you know that it's a mechanical failure? Because the dealership said it? Were you there? Have you inspected the vehicle? Are you even qualified to inspect it? Because your allegation is a heck of an assumption. I've handled hundreds of these claims, and if you've seen what I have, then you wouldn't say this. An attorney "engages" with the insurance adjuster. They preserve and protect a person's rights. It's actually quite common. All of this gets the OP back on the road and, if done right, in the position they were before the incident.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLPORSCHEGUY
Wow. "Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what your'e talking about." How do you know that it's a mechanical failure? Because the dealership said it? Were you there? Have you inspected the vehicle? Are you even qualified to inspect it? Because your allegation is a heck of an assumption. I've handled hundreds of these claims, and if you've seen what I have, then you wouldn't say this. An attorney "engages" with the insurance adjuster. They preserve and protect a person's rights. It's actually quite common. All of this gets the OP back on the road and, if done right, in the position they were before the incident.
I tend to be more collaborative with my dealer and service relationships than the release the Kraken nonsense. When a dealer totaled my car while it was in for service (box truck hit the car while parked), I handed them the title and they handed me a check -- totaled car to title/check swap was within a week. It didn't require getting my attorney involved or other nonsense. I had a simple conversation with the GM and that was all that was needed for the resolution.

To be clear, I am a "if you don't think that this is a free country, you have the wrong attorney" guy. I keep three different firms on the ready with different areas of specialty. That being said, I also understand the concept of proportional response.
The following users liked this post:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 05:18 PM
ATLPORSCHEGUY
Rennlist Member

I tend to be more collaborative with my dealer and service relationships than the release the Kraken nonsense. When a dealer totaled my car while it was in for service (box truck hit the car while parked), I handed them the title and they handed me a check -- totaled car to title/check swap was within a week. It didn't require getting my attorney involved or other nonsense. I had a simple conversation with the GM and that was all that was needed for the resolution.

To be clear, I am a "if you don't think that this is a free country, you have the wrong attorney" guy. I keep three different firms on the ready with different areas of specialty. That being said, I also understand the concept of proportional response.

"Release the kraken?" LOL! Getting an attorney is "nonsense?" Wow, that's ****ing offensive to entire profession. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Glad your situation worked out, but to assume they all do or people are forthcoming when they're negligent, is an extremely reckless way of living. You will get burned with that mindset. We can just agree to disagree, kid...
Old 04-03-2024, 05:22 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLPORSCHEGUY
"Release the kraken?" LOL! Getting an attorney is "nonsense?" Wow, that's ****ing offensive to entire profession. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Glad your situation worked out, but to assume they all do or people are forthcoming when they're negligent, is an extremely reckless way of living. You will get burned with that mindset. We can just agree to disagree, kid...
Thanks for calling me "kid". I am young at heart.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:28 PM
ATLPORSCHEGUY
Rennlist Member

Thanks for calling me "kid". I am young at heart.
It's not a reflection of your age, but you're a kid in terms of experience with real world disputes and damages. You've most likely never gone through a genuine legal hardship and you're very lucky for that. After all, you think setting up an insurance claim and seeking legal advice is "releasing the kraken." That's silly. The world is not all gummy bears and rainbows...

Last edited by ATLPORSCHEGUY; 04-03-2024 at 05:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATLPORSCHEGUY:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), Icegrill (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 05:50 PM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

If you haven't done so already, I'd contact PCNA immediately and request to meet the local PCNA rep at the dealership to review what happened and to discuss remedy options. In my experience (albeit not for an engine issue like this), it is up to the owner to request this from PCNA, the dealership won't do it for you. And this is nothing against the dealer, in my case I had and still have an excellent relationship with my Service Manager and it was he who suggested I contact PCNA directly. In his words, "It's better coming from you." It wasn't until I contacted them that my issue was 100% resolved. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by bboerit:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), detansinn (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 06:46 PM
tonka858
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

they going to sell you a new one at MSRP
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:47 PM
Mr. J
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 992WhiteOut
2022 S in for two year service. Engine oil pressure pulls over shop tech on post service test drive. Cam adjuster bolt(s) have come out, rattled around, likely caught in chain on that side and then blown through cam shroud at bottom of engine.

Would like to get any knowledgeable input on the possible damage to motor. Word is Porsche plans to repair, but I am worried that the issues may stick with this motor from this event. Also, supposedly I get no warranty on this other than existing remainder of original factory warranty.

Would love any constructive input.
Was this just a normal two year service.....basic oil change, brake bleed, etc.? Seems really weird or coincidental that right after the service your engine experiences a failure while the tech is test driving it? What are the chances of that happening?

You also mention there was a low oil pressure warning while the shop tech was test driving? That right there would also worry me......how long did the engine run while not having sufficient oil pressure? Is your car a manual? I've seen on some of the older generations (997, Cayman, etc.) a missed shift causing the timing to jump (chain jumps on the timing sprocket) Not saying this is in any way related to the failure in your case.

If it were me, I would definitely escalate and consider all options (PCNA, lawyer, etc.) and push for a new engine. Especially since it failed while the dealership was driving your car, AND some of the other details like loss of oil pressure, potential for metal going through your engine (etc.). You're obviously going to get varying opinions on how you should handle this with your dealer, but do what you feel is right and one that you're going to be happy with in the end.
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:32 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution1
I chose option 2 they also gave me 5K voucher to use at any Porsche dealer towards another car.
5k voucher 😀, 10k MSRP increase 😡
The following 2 users liked this post by Nein Eleven:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), tonka858 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 08:58 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Do not overreact as some have suggested. Porsche will fix it under warranty, right? The only question is whether Porsche’s proposed “fix” is acceptable to you, right? So, I would immediately initiate a buyback claim. My position would be I do not want this car. Take your full purchase price and sales taxes and walk away. If you are willing to accept a new engine then you can negotiate it from there. Remember that new engine replacement will pop up on Carfax and effect resale. I personally would not accept a remanufactured block, either. I would also not accept repair of current engine because of metal shavings and low oil pressure as others have mentioned above. You might get to the point in the future when you need to hire an attorney but you are not at that point yet. Attorneys = $$$$. Give PCNA a chance to buyback first.
The following 5 users liked this post by Fullyield:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), bboerit (04-04-2024), detansinn (04-04-2024), Icegrill (04-04-2024), SBAD (04-07-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:41 PM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

^This. Nothing good will happen for you until you get the regional PCNA rep involved. Way too soon for lawyers.
The following 2 users liked this post by bboerit:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), detansinn (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:49 PM
Evolution1
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
5k voucher 😀, 10k MSRP increase 😡
I know, its better then nothing and GTS allocation in May is worth it for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Evolution1:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), detansinn (04-04-2024), Nein Eleven (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:59 PM
Evolution1
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Do not overreact as some have suggested. Porsche will fix it under warranty, right? The only question is whether Porsche’s proposed “fix” is acceptable to you, right? So, I would immediately initiate a buyback claim. My position would be I do not want this car. Take your full purchase price and sales taxes and walk away. If you are willing to accept a new engine then you can negotiate it from there. Remember that new engine replacement will pop up on Carfax and effect resale. I personally would not accept a remanufactured block, either. I would also not accept repair of current engine because of metal shavings and low oil pressure as others have mentioned above. You might get to the point in the future when you need to hire an attorney but you are not at that point yet. Attorneys = $$$$. Give PCNA a chance to buyback first.
PCNA will not replace it with a new engine, first the dealership has to request a refurbished engine, only if not available they will swap it for new engine.
I know this from first hand experience, I'm going through it right now PCNA just completed the repurchase of my 911 T, hopefully I will receive my check next week.
PCNA worked with me no lawyers or lemon law it was very smooth.
The following 5 users liked this post by Evolution1:
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024), bboerit (04-04-2024), detansinn (04-04-2024), Fullyield (04-04-2024), SFDCArchitect316 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:32 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

How crazy that this happened while the service tech was test driving the vehicle. Can't really think of any conspiracy behind that as there isn't anything a tech can do to cause the cam adjuster bolts to fail.
992WhiteOut (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 04:24 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
How crazy that this happened while the service tech was test driving the vehicle. Can't really think of any conspiracy behind that as there isn't anything a tech can do to cause the cam adjuster bolts to fail.
It was an engine production line failure (not properly torqued, thread locker missing or failed, etc.) at the factory. But, the fact it happened while a Porsche employee was driving it actually works in the OP’s favor and should help on his argument for a buyback.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
992WhiteOut (04-07-2024), bboerit (04-04-2024), Schwarz992C4S (04-04-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 S Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure