Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clanking at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Got my car back from the dealer last weekend, and it *seems* like it's fixed. I've only driven it a few times and haven't heard the clanking. TLDR: they said it was a loose TPMS sensor inside the left rear tire. So they fixed that and reset the TPMS. How in the world a loose piece of plastic rolling around inside the tire could make such a loud metallic clank, i have no idea. I just can't wrap my head around the physics of that. I have to be missing something. But a few notes and observations-

1. I am not surprised there was a loose sensor inside the wheel. When i took it off myself to check things around, i heard something rattling around in there as I rolled the wheel. So not questioning that fact. But the plastic sounding rattle I heard from the wheel was nowhere near the metallic clank.
2. The techs didn't unplug my dash cam, so i was watching the recordings of when they test drove it and troubleshot it. First, it was reassuring that they too were like, WTF is that sound? and then when they heard something else, they were like, now WTF is THAT? Makes me feel better about my paranoia when I hear something that doesn't seem right.
3. One of the techs theorized a loose TPMS sensor early on, so that was interesting. But other things they threw out were something loose with the FAL, clutch, or elsewhere back there.
4. One of the other interesting things I heard them say was they were debating whether I tracked the car. one of them concluded I did. I have not. I WANT to, but I have not done so yet. I hope they don't mark cars they suspect as tracked in their system and potentially deny warranty work if they conclude something went wrong from tracking it (in case something else in the future goes wrong during warranty).

Anyway... I didn't hear them say anything else. I couldn't tell if they checked everything under the car to make sure everything was tight, or if they just did the tire work and called it a day. But if the sound doesn't reappear, i guess I'm good, just not ready to declare victory quite yet. And if it IS fixed, my curiosity for how in the world that was the culprit will not be satisfied, until someone explains it to me.

Last edited by achilleas101; 04-05-2024 at 11:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Earle (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 11:58 AM
incoming992s
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Following as I have the same thing! That being said mine sounds more metallic and towards the front; like I ran over some small metal of some sort but it sounds like from the front middle of my 2023 Targa 4 GTS manual. Only happens at slow speeds and about once every 50 miles or so.
Unfortunately I can't replicate it as you do. Please keep us posted!

Last edited by incoming992s; 04-05-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:50 PM
Albechow
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2022 Targa4GTS Manual, and I have e exact same issue!
there’s some metal scraping sound when I first start up the car and move the car back and forth.
once I start driving it’s gone, and it’s not continuous.
I was trying to capture a video but it’s gone right now.
it happens like 5% of the time when I start the car in colder conditions.
its so weird
Old 04-05-2024, 03:06 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Albechow
I have a 2022 Targa4GTS Manual, and I have e exact same issue!
there’s some metal scraping sound when I first start up the car and move the car back and forth.
once I start driving it’s gone, and it’s not continuous.
I was trying to capture a video but it’s gone right now.
it happens like 5% of the time when I start the car in colder conditions.
its so weird
Rust on the rotors.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:18 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a random low speed knock. Sounds like someone knocking on the top of my windshield with a knuckle 2 or 3 times. I had the radio off after returning from a drive and heard it when I was coming to a stop. Happened at least 4 or 5 times. It actually doesn’t bother me much but I have my ears tuned to it in case it gets worse.

glad they were able to find your issue.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:26 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 25 Posts

Hmm mines been doing this recently. After some spirited driving, it’ll make a brief metallic noise at low speeds. Obv dealer won’t be able to replicate it since it happens out of the blue. Anyone else taken it into the dealer?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:36 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by unskirted
Hmm mines been doing this recently. After some spirited driving, it’ll make a brief metallic noise at low speeds. Obv dealer won’t be able to replicate it since it happens out of the blue. Anyone else taken it into the dealer?
Same here, metallic "clacks", short, brief, coming from the front. I have the extended range fuel tank but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:50 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

These cars make a lot of sounds I just enjoy them.

Try a GT3- they make quite a bit of noise on the interior
Old 04-16-2024, 04:50 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

There are sounds and there are sounds. I enjoy sounds that reflect mechanical power, I dislike sounds that give out the impression of cheap build quality.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:52 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lemonorlime
There are sounds and there are sounds. I enjoy sounds that reflect mechanical power, I dislike sounds that give out the impression of cheap build quality.
Exactly... or maybe not cheap build quality, but something just broken. And that's the thing, with these cars it's not always easy to tell the difference, especially if you're new to them.

Heck, even the techs working my car made the same comments while driving it around. Something to the effect of, these cars are so rattle-y to begin with, it's hard to tell what's normal and what isn't. So if techs are saying that, i feel better about raising a concerned ear.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:28 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

If you can't replicate an out of the ordinary intermittent sounds (which sounds like your brakes are falling off), I wouldn't call that normal

Quick Reply: Clanking at low speeds