Sponsored by:

Window defect recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:28 PM
Mr.Brightside
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
There are two separate glass recalls repaired under warranty. One applies to the lightweight glass and the other applies to the regular glass with the molding that melts. I just had mine replaced about a month ago under warranty.
I am also having the issue with the seals melting on my regular glass windshield. My SA sent me the bulletin, but the current replacement parts are showing TBD. I'm just waiting for Porsche to update with the new windshield glass part number.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:59 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,427 Likes on 515 Posts

I am glad to hear that most folks who are having the test done aren't being told a repair is required. That gives me some confidence.

I still think I will wait as long as possible to go in though...

I wonder what happens if they're suction-cup test damages the exoshield covering I have on the windshield...
Old 04-25-2024, 09:38 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Just learned it is a recall to recode the Amplifier on the Bose system. Said it would take an hour
Do not do it unless you currently have rattling issues. The recall neuters your system by limiting your bass and reducing/limiting your EQ settings. If your system is fine, pass!!!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-25-2024 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:36 PM
TempeAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My SA described the test (for poorly sealed LW glass) as consisting of saturating the windshield with soapy water and spraying pressurized air from the inside. They said so far they found one car with the problem (mine didn't have leaks); the whistling noise on was found to be the hood slightly out of alignment, which they adjusted for me.
The following users liked this post:
DriveToSurvive (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 03:43 AM
Final_Final_v4
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 34 Posts

​When I plug my VIN in it says no open recalls. Would the recall pop up by now if I was in the range? I have a Carrera T that started it's build of 11/13/23.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:12 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Docmem
My dealer told me that they need the car for three hours to check the adhesion of the glass.
Probably because they have to wash the car after they check it. The way of checking will make a mess. Not a harmful mess, but I'd guess most folks would complain if they didn't wash the car afterwards.
The way a void (and that's what they're checking for) is diagnosed is actually pretty simple. 1.) Start the car 2.) Close all the windows, 3.) Turn the Heater/Air Conditioner so that the fan is on it's highest speed. This is done to create a slightly higher pressure inside the car than outside of the car, 4.) Get out of the car and close the door(s). 5.) Spray a soapy water mixture around all the places you think might have an unseen void or gap in a door or window seal. 6.) If there are any locations that generate a fizz of bubbles when it is wet with the soapy water, you have a passage from inside of the car to the outside. If it's not where there's supposed to be an opening, say for example around a windshield or the back glass on a 911, that's a problem.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:08 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Final_Final_v4
​When I plug my VIN in it says no open recalls. Would the recall pop up by now if I was in the range? I have a Carrera T that started it's build of 11/13/23.

Thanks.

Fairly certain the recall covers 992s produced with the lightweight glass up to October 30, 2023. Call your service department and inquire with any service writer whom can look it up and immediately tell you, but you should be unaffected. My T was built in November 2023 and it is not affected. I got my information directly from my service writer.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:55 PM
Shecky22
2nd Gear

Took my '23 911 T in for 10k service the last week of March. They performed the service and informed me that a recall had just been issued for the glass. Today marks 5 weeks they have had the car with no end in sight. All they can tell me is that the glass is coming from Germany and they have no timeline for its arrival - cool! Oh, and they broke the windshield while testing it apparently so I cannot just take the car and wait for the glass..... Super frustrating
Old 04-29-2024, 05:05 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

Got mine tested today and it passed.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:08 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shecky22
Took my '23 911 T in for 10k service the last week of March. They performed the service and informed me that a recall had just been issued for the glass. Today marks 5 weeks they have had the car with no end in sight. All they can tell me is that the glass is coming from Germany and they have no timeline for its arrival - cool! Oh, and they broke the windshield while testing it apparently so I cannot just take the car and wait for the glass..... Super frustrating

Well that is super frustrating. There should be some sort of compensation for this via PCNA. What kind of service loaner did they put you in?
Icegrill (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Do not do it unless you currently have rattling issues. The recall neuters your system by limiting your bass and reducing/limiting your EQ settings. If your system is fine, pass!!!
Going to take your word for it and cancel it. Plus, I have to be in NYC anyway on Wed so was going to cancel.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2024, 07:43 PM
Shecky22
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TUD
Well that is super frustrating. There should be some sort of compensation for this via PCNA. What kind of service loaner did they put you in?
They gave me a brand new base Macan. I hate little SUVs but this one is slick - sounds awful though. It had just under 400 miles on it when I got it and I just rolled 1,800 today. DO NOT take your car in for this recall until the parts are actually manufactured/available!
Icegrill (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:24 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shecky22
They gave me a brand new base Macan. I hate little SUVs but this one is slick - sounds awful though. It had just under 400 miles on it when I got it and I just rolled 1,800 today. DO NOT take your car in for this recall until the parts are actually manufactured/available!

I have had a new base Macan as well as a new Macan S. I am not a fan of either. Now the manual Boxster S and the PDK Boxster T were great! Had all four during services for my 997.

Quick Reply: Window defect recall