Sponsored by:

My wife and 911 love story

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 09:18 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Our Targa is our “date” car. We’ve been married for 30 years.
I am not going to play RennList marriage therapist. The OP needs to communicate with their spouse instead of asking a bunch of randos. The gender angle doesn’t play with a 911 as it’s a car with pretty universal appeal — just look at some of the posts in this thread. 👍
The following users liked this post:
txpackers (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:27 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

Well, it’s not so simple for some of us.
* #1 - a younger partner - ‘70 911T - she drive it a little but cleaned the rims with a soft toothbrush
* #2 - younger partner - mother of the children - ‘75 911S - never quite understood & drove it a little till she backed into/under a pick up
* #3 - younger(much) partner - ‘85 930 - never understood - drive? She knew better after a few demo laps - had to make a choice
Still best of friends with all. :-)

Guess I am a slow learner; P cars are cheaper than ex-wives. While I still enjoy a lady’s company, younger of course, I know what to expect from the 911 on a daily basis. Great thing about being older is I get to choose.
ICU (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:38 PM
Muckesäckele
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
My wife loves the 911 and she’s a big reason I have one now. She knew it’s a car I’ve always wanted since having posters on my walls as a kid. Once I could afford the car, I had a hard time parting with so much money. My wife helped convince me to get it. Once I got the allocation, I joked that I was going to get it with a PDK. She looked at me and said she’ll divorce me if I don’t get a manual transmission. She was serious. She loves driving manual transmission cars as much as I do.

We often take drives together. If she’s not riding shotgun with me, then she’s on her motorcycle ahead of or behind me. Since we both love driving, having the 911 gives us one more thing to do together. I’d find it hard to enjoy the car if she didn’t enjoy it also.
Dude, you gotta keeper! She motos? Damn, I'm impressed! My wife is an avid skier and mountain biker who's a former commercial driver. When she put the chains on the 15 passenger vans, the men on her trips couldn't believe this diminutive woman was TAKING CHARGE! I'm very lucky to call her my tandem bicycle partner on and off road. I think if she weren't such a tree-hugger and liked motors more, she'd ride a motorcycles (her brother has probably accumulated a million GoldWing miles in his life so far). That said, she rocked a manual Jeep in Moab way back in the day, so she's a natural behind the wheel.

Anyway, really cool you shared that. You moto too? I've had an endorsement for almost 20 years, but still haven't taken the plunge to ownership. As a cyclist who used to descend like an idiot and madman, I see performance street bikes as "descending all day!" I'd kill myself within a week!

Anyway, kudos to you and your wife!
ICU (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 08:17 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Muckesäckele
Dude, you gotta keeper! She motos? Damn, I'm impressed! My wife is an avid skier and mountain biker who's a former commercial driver. When she put the chains on the 15 passenger vans, the men on her trips couldn't believe this diminutive woman was TAKING CHARGE! I'm very lucky to call her my tandem bicycle partner on and off road. I think if she weren't such a tree-hugger and liked motors more, she'd ride a motorcycles (her brother has probably accumulated a million GoldWing miles in his life so far). That said, she rocked a manual Jeep in Moab way back in the day, so she's a natural behind the wheel.

Anyway, really cool you shared that. You moto too? I've had an endorsement for almost 20 years, but still haven't taken the plunge to ownership. As a cyclist who used to descend like an idiot and madman, I see performance street bikes as "descending all day!" I'd kill myself within a week!

Anyway, kudos to you and your wife!
Yes, she is a keeper. We’ve been married for over 30 years now. Your wife sounds great too. Shared interests certainly help keep marriages strong.

My wife rides an Indian Super Chief. She keeps telling me I should get a motorcycle, but I’m only into cars. I think it goes back to having many friends in my younger years who rode and all dumped their motorcycles at some time. In almost every case, the cause was other idiots on the road.

Interesting you mention a Jeep Wrangler with a manual transmission. That’s always been one of her dreams. Also been looking at the new Tacoma with a manual. Some day I expect we’ll have one or the other in the garage too.
The following 2 users liked this post by txpackers:
Metalblond (02-29-2024), Muckesäckele (02-29-2024)

Quick Reply: My wife and 911 love story