Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premature Build Lock - What Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 12:44 AM
TheDrivenGarage
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah I think they gave your allocation to someone else. If you placed an order demand when you got on the list you had a build associated with it. Then when they assign you the allocation. The order demand you placed becomes active with a commission number. That's associated with your name. You get an email from Porsche saying congrats and to track your cars journey. Then as you make changes to your build you see those changes reflected in the online portal. This is all part of the track your dream platform. If you haven't gotten these emails, then you never had the allocation attached to your order demand likely.

If thats the case then the dealer is just playing a game with you. You can have some fun with them and just ask them if you can decide on keeping the car until it comes in. And ask them about the track your dream website...

If they have any issues with either, then you know they gave that allocation to someone else.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDrivenGarage:
470NitroExpress (03-06-2024), OncPorsche (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 04:00 AM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen several weeks ago. Have a PTS order (Gulf Blue) and TYD says build is not locked. Changed my mind on stitching color (chalk to orange) and wheel locks. Sales agent says build shows 215 status and is locked.

Sales agent had put my name on a previous PTS allocation. Color was already selected (Black Olive) and when I went to modify build it was locked. So they gave me the next PTS slot.

My guess is that what others have said is true - when the color is selected the build locks early. I would see if they will give you the next PTS slot.

Last edited by Gef3rd; 02-21-2024 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
470NitroExpress (03-06-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:00 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

You know, at a certain point in a man’s life, things happen prematurely. They have pills for that now.
The following 2 users liked this post by rdv:
470NitroExpress (03-06-2024), OncPorsche (02-21-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:56 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

When I put in my PTS order a few years ago my SA told me that PTS color for an order needs to be submitted and locks way ahead of the normal order freeze date. In my case the color locked in early July and the final freeze was September.

Even despite this, he said that it was best to have the entire configuration finalized when you submit the PTS color because it actually goes into a different type of order lock to prevent changes. Technically, you can still make changes after the PTS color lock date, but they have to be submitted to Porsche AG and handled manually by their team. He said that one or two changes isn't usually a problem, but they can get annoyed if you do it repeatedly and then just refuse to modify again.

He also warned me about order freeze being pulled forward sometimes and said that then there was nothing that could be done.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:14 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

A $240k GTS is wild, but I believe there’s one higher. I think the Fjord green one of a member here is more.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:37 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Where's OP? I wonder if he's at the angry stage yet.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:39 PM
470NitroExpress
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

So, I went through the angry stage for a week or so. I tried to figure out what went wrong (e.g. dealer built the car for someone else, etc....) but in the end I got over it.

But as I anticipated, the dealer came through. I just found out I got a late summer delivery for a C2S and I gave the dealer my build within an hour of finding out and said get it locked! Went a different route, but I couldn't be happier or more excited!

The following 3 users liked this post by 470NitroExpress:
brianja (03-07-2024), suffer (03-07-2024), txpackers (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 03:44 PM
470NitroExpress
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
As the last post says, did you get any emails? I received one when the build was accepted, with a confirmation number.
It also started showing up in the MyPorsche app (TYD).
Sorry, I went away for a few weeks....

No, I did not get an email. But the car did show up in the MyPorsche app. and I just figured the orange was some generic color the coders chose for PTS cars. This was my first go at building a 911...and I have definitely learned a lot over the past few months.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:41 PM
scottmesenbrink
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
The PTS lock date is different from the build lock date.

When the PTS locks, the build locks. Even before the actual claimed build lock date. The PTS lock date beats all.

The dealer should have known this. Whenever you submit a PTS color/build you have to be damn sure it's 100%, because once the color is confirmed, Porsche can and will lock it. After PTS locks, there is virtually nothing that can be done - sometimes PCNA can pull some strings, but don't hold your breath. It's rare that a locked build can be reopened.

This really needs to be the A1 thing that dealers tell customers - do NOT submit your color without being 100% on the build.

If the dealer submitted a PTS color to Porsche as a "placeholder" that was an idiotic thing to do.
I can attest to this. In order to place a request for PTS I had to provide a build code with the color selection to be considered. When Porsche approves it you are locked on the color and that’s it. I was able to change certain items outside of color before my official freeze date but the color was locked way before that.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:06 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Likely related to PTS which is quite rare these days.
This ^^

Quick Reply: Premature Build Lock - What Happened?