Sponsored by:

Ionization Option

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Mrkhanna16
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ionization Option

Anyone get this and actually notice a difference? will maintenance costs down the road be more expensive? It's a low cost option, but dont know if I need it. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (01-25-2021)

Popular Reply

11-15-2021, 08:16 PM
magandbrook
5th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, sorry don't want this to sound like astroturf(I work for a clean air tech manufacturer, and we also develop this tech in the automotive space, to say the least..) so I will try my best to just answer the OP. Just spotted this thread in a google search and decided I'd register and reply. I dont wanna get get called out by any molecular scientists or epidemiologists, so please keep in mind I work in operations, sales, and marketing for a manufacturer -- I am not a scientist or engineer, but I have been working with this tech since 2012 when awareness was nearly non existent(still is, mostly.) My answers are the same in 2021 as they were in 2012.

The simple answer is Yes , 100%, you will notice the difference, whether or not it is perceptible to YOU is a totally different story and should not be part of the confirmation bias of any car consumer considering this option. Here's why: Ionization technology is essentially active sterilization - it is an answer to a void - the lack of any sort of air purification/sterilization in vehicles. It is designed to eliminate contaminants from the air that would otherwise not be filtered through a simple cabin air filter(which should either be activate carbon or ideally HEPA, not a pleated paper coffee filter equivalent which costs mere pennies less to manufacture.) The module/ionizer installed on this "optional" package generates millions of reactive ions that rely on air flow to spread throughout the cabin and the HVAC system. These reactive ions are formed from hydrogen(in the air) and charged oxygen(at the modules electrode), forming hydroperoxy radicals(HOO-) that destroy biological contaminants. WTH does that mean? It means that mold, mildew, PM2.5, UFP, viral pathogens, industrial fallout, and numerous other air contaminants that WILL find their way into your cabin are eliminated. Do you notice these things while driving? Probably in one form or another. Have you ever entered a car that smelled like stinky feet? We all have, and doubtful the hygiene of the driver was to blame -- what you smell is an infestation of mold/mildew/bacteria at the evaporator core making its way through the cabin any time the blower motor is activated. Do you feel UFP entering your bloodstream? Yes, of course, its unavoidable along with the millions of mold spores you breathe in every year -- but its death by papercuts -- you wont "notice" till many years later, but that is a different discussion altogether and I am neither Bill Nye nor Doogie Howser, so I won't ramble on and instead will just suggest that the best thing you can do is just say Yes to ordering your new car with this feature. Perfume atomizer? Nice feature. Ionization? No brainer must-have if you value cleanliness, and above all -- your health.

I'm not here to sell devices to consumers(we don't do direct retail), but if anyone lives in San Diego and wants to learn more I would be happy to supply one for your car, but cannot perform installation for you(install is about 10-20 minutes, hidden behind the driver/center vent, and does require 12v power source.) I don't do a ton of business with Porsche dealers, but I do feel that until they make this feature standard, it is part of my job to make it optional at point of sale. Part of my job is also consumer awareness. I'm not very good at that part, but I try when I can when I see the questions being asked. Hope you found the right answers one way or the other.

^^But before you do that -- here is the Porsche part number for ionizer: Note on Retrofit: most of these OE equipped devices have canbus integration and plugin directly to a wiring harness, so I don't think it's tooo easy to retrofit without recoding the PCM, at the minimum? You most likely will not have much success asking a dealer about it -- 98% of them are clueless(understandably.) But its worth a shot to ask your service advisor. Actually, I think its reasonable to demand something like this given the environment we are all forced to live in. Let me know if you run into any issues with dealers and I'll see if I can help. Either way, it is quite insulting to consumers that this is optional and not standard. That will change.. it actually already is with certain marks. Porsche will soon follow. I would bet my life on it -- no manufacturer can afford to avoid this forever in good conscious nor good business practice -- but, hey, I'm open to debate this -- I could seriously use the practice..

Part#
Ionizer - Porsche (PAD-963-459)

Pictured Below is NOT the Porsche version, but nearly identical concept(haven't dug around to see who their supplier is or if it is private labeled), as the chemistry/concept is this tech is somewhat standardized between the 3 or 4 major manufacturers, though through entirely different global patents.

Hope this helped? Wish I had a forum full of 1.5 million people -- the amount of new cars sold in the month of October in the US. Would love to have a better understanding of the car buying consumer market beyond my obvious presumptions of perceived needs.

-Christian

Old 07-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Mrkhanna16
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

nobody got it?
Old 07-24-2020, 04:59 PM
off/lang
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got it for peace of mind during California fire season. It does a good job of filtering outside smells like cigarette smoke. It's a fairly cheap option to tick if you're sensitive to smells.

Not sure about maintenance costs.
The following 2 users liked this post by off/lang:
Mrkhanna16 (07-24-2020), Schwarz992C4S (01-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:00 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrkhanna16
Anyone get this and actually notice a difference? will maintenance costs down the road be more expensive? It's a low cost option, but dont know if I need it. Thanks!
I have it in my Panamera. Seems to make a slight positive difference in the internal air quality. I guess it could potentially help allergy sufferers or others who have respiratory issues as well. I don’t think most people really need it. I have an incoming 992 order and included it in my order, but frankly, it’s a box I checked early on without too much thinking and, if my build hadn’t already locked, I’d be tempted to delete the option and save the $400.
Mrkhanna16 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

I ordered it, but won't get the car until next week. I had this in my C63S a couple of years ago and felt it made a huge difference in terms of the air quality. Regardless of what was going on outside the air in my car was super fresh. After having experienced that in the Benz I felt it was a no-brainer in the 911 for how cheap the option is.
The following 3 users liked this post by Drizz:
Andy2021 (03-07-2024), Kermit_the_Frog (07-24-2020), Vintage72 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:52 AM
snowmuch
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
I ordered it, but won't get the car until next week. I had this in my C63S a couple of years ago and felt it made a huge difference in terms of the air quality. Regardless of what was going on outside the air in my car was super fresh. After having experienced that in the Benz I felt it was a no-brainer in the 911 for how cheap the option is.
Are you talking about the ambient air package that includes fragrance?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:01 AM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmuch
Are you talking about the ambient air package that includes fragrance?
Had that as well in the Merc, but no, I was referring specifically to the ionizer. I tried that fragrance thing once and it was too overwhelming. Bought the car off the lot and it was loaded, otherwise I wouldn’t have spec’d something like that.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:12 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrkhanna16
I have this option in 992 and in 971 too. It improves quality of air inside, so why not?
Schwarz992C4S (01-25-2021)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:15 AM
MarineDrive
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Optioned it in my 992, but you need to manually turn it on through the Climate Control menu on the screen. Forgot about it on most days, but once I turn it on in traffic or city areas, does filter out the smells from outside immediately within a few seconds.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MarineDrive
Optioned it in my 992, but you need to manually turn it on through the Climate Control menu on the screen. Forgot about it on most days, but once I turn it on in traffic or city areas, does filter out the smells from outside immediately within a few seconds.
its strange because on mine 992 its always on (like other settings, like temprature, A/C, etc)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:57 AM
Green_911
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone knows if its possible to retrofit?
Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

I could be wrong, but, as I understand it, an ionisier simply charges particles in the air so that they stick to surfaces rather than float freely.

I could see that this might augment a cabin air filter, but I’m struggling to see how this could affect volatile aromatic compounds (smells).

i guess it might create a tiny amount of ozone which could oxidise molecules but the volume of ozone would be very small from such a small device wouldn’t it?

Puzzled by this option.
Ant68 (01-24-2021)
Old 07-29-2020, 06:56 AM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 55 Posts

Afaik molecules first get ionisied and then stream over a plate that has electrical load which leads to the molecules to attach to the plate.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:29 PM
mpiatrou
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ionizer retrofit for 992

Originally Posted by Green_911
Anyone knows if its possible to retrofit?
Any info on this one anyone?
Old 01-24-2021, 07:36 PM
Green_911
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiatrou
Any info on this one anyone?
I spoke with the Porsche technician about it, he activated the option on the info screen, can see animation now.

They still don’t have hardware info for it.
mpiatrou (01-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Ionization Option