Sponsored by:

2024 CARRERA GTS LIGHTWEIGHT PACKAGE DECISION TIME

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 05:49 PM
JERABEKC
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 CARRERA GTS LIGHTWEIGHT PACKAGE DECISION TIME

I finally have a July delivery date for my 2024 GTS with an option lock-in at end of March!

With the 2024 elimination of the lithium battery, I don't think that the $8690 lightweight package is now all that good of a deal or much weight savings, but value any and all opinions from other GTS owners

Presently leaning toward no rear axle steering (believe that it adds weight and there are reported battery issues). Does it really make that much of a difference in the handling?
And the $5900 full bucket seats

FYI: Used to own a 1971 911S and spent a good amount of time at PIR in it and a 1993 RX7 R1
Old 02-15-2024, 06:00 PM
JERABEKC
6th Gear

The latest info on the Porsche website no longer shows a 55 pound weight reduction and the main GTS lightweight package thread here stops last August and has no 2024 info.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:12 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 117 Posts

For resale most would prefer RAS, 18 ways rather than buckets. No one can really say about the glass.

I like having rear seats.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:22 PM
JERABEKC
6th Gear

The rear axle thread here has been very helpful.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:32 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

I have RAS but truly have no idea what it adds as I don't have a comparison vehicle that does not have it which I can toggle between daily to really see
During random driving of other GTS, base etc w/o it, I do not notice a significant difference. However, I will also say I don't notice a huge difference between the driving dynamics of base, S, GTS either so my radar for these things is perhaps lower than those who are more seasoned drivers. I'm surprised I can't feel what RAS provides since I'm very intuitive to most things- I'm the type to notice a lot of little weird features, imbalances, noises, etc so it's not like I'm immune to details. Giving you this background to put my input in perspective so you can best gauge whether you are super different or more like me in order to make the best decision for yourself

My impression is you should ditch all of those weight saving options- light weight glass, buckets, etc. I am not convinced it makes a significant difference. Plus I think 23.7 gallon tank is helpful to have. If the goal is to get a light car that throws around easily maybe a Cayman GT4 is the way to go.

Last edited by Triathlonkid; 02-15-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:42 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 371 Posts

Do get the lightweight option with buckets, get PCCBs too if you still can

RAS is take it or leave it (do it, don't be too S/T about that lol) but avoid PDCC like the plague (makes car feel dispairingly artificial, but flat in corners, and faster with more even tire wear)

Last edited by catdog2; 02-15-2024 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:24 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
I have RAS but…
During random driving of other GTS, base etc w/o it, I do not notice a significant difference.
However, I will also say I don't notice a huge difference between the driving dynamics of base, S, GTS either so my radar for these things is perhaps lower than those who are more seasoned drivers. I'm surprised I can't feel what RAS provides since I'm very intuitive to most things- I'm the type to notice a lot of little weird features, imbalances, noises, etc so it's not like I'm immune to details.
Can you tell the difference between a 911 and a Camry?
Old 02-16-2024, 02:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

I think you should get it, but only if you stop YELLING.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 09:22 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Do get the lightweight option with buckets, get PCCBs too if you still can

RAS is take it or leave it (do it, don't be too S/T about that lol) but avoid PDCC like the plague (makes car feel dispairingly artificial, but flat in corners, and faster with more even tire wear)
I have the package and PCCB's and love it ! I had to make the compromise on one thing , the seats . I a 65 years old , car is my daily , I do hop in and out often , got the 18 way . I can still get in and out of buckets but not sure how I will feel at 70 when the car ages alongside me .
Old 02-16-2024, 12:54 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

Smoking tire just did a back to back comparison of rear axel steer vs not ala the GT3 touring and S/T.

summary: RAS gives a “high-tech feeling”, not having it “gives a more old-school feeling with help from reduced weight”

Also my own conclusions have me believe it’s entirely preferential.

Don’t ask me what I have decided for my own 992.2 GTS because I do not know… that being said, I do know I’ll have to test drive and decide.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:27 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Haros
Smoking tire just did a back to back comparison of rear axel steer vs not ala the GT3 touring and S/T.

summary: RAS gives a “high-tech feeling”, not having it “gives a more old-school feeling with help from reduced weight”

Also my own conclusions have me believe it’s entirely preferential.

Don’t ask me what I have decided for my own 992.2 GTS because I do not know… that being said, I do know I’ll have to test drive and decide.

@Haros Thanks for sending me to the correct post. I (we) posted in the wrong thread but here is my response to the above. Hope not to come across rude or harsh, but I think it's important to understand the two have a different ethos?!.:

Careful with that type of conclusion. GT3T and S/T are different from a suspension and steering perspective. The S/T doesn't have RAS, specifically to save weight and they adjusted for it in other ways. RAS vs no RAS on Carrera models doesn't compare.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/pres...-dynamics.html

"In addition to saving weight, engineers targeted traditional, purist handling by dispensing with rear-wheel steering. With the use of uniball bearings on the front suspension (complete) and on the LSA five-link rear suspension (inside and outside on the lower wishbone), they also achieved increased driving precision. With all this in mind, the 911 S/T received a specific damper and steering tuning set-up that took all the individual parameters into account and gave the 911 S/T its unique character."

Haros (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 03:58 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

It is all personal preference so I don't know how much it helps to get others opinions but here is mine.

RAS - Yes, because I think it really makes the bigger 911 feel like a little 911
Lightweight glass - No, because it is almost impossible to find for replacement if you get rock chips and it is easier to crack
Bucket seats - No, because I'm 65 and would rather be more comfortable when driving my car. Prefer touring over racing.
Light weight battery - No, because I have heard too many horror stories over problems with the lithium battery
PCCB - No, because they are unnecessary unless you track your Porsche regularly and a lot of drivers have complained about them squeaking until they are warmed up which pretty much requires high speed braking. Plus they add +$9k to the car which can be used better elsewhere.

Last edited by F250to911; 02-16-2024 at 04:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F250to911:
Haros (02-16-2024), user 64927802 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 06:51 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Mine 911 GTS is incoming and I went with a simpler spec:

Buckets: YES
LightWeight Glass: NO
RAS: NO
PCCB: NO
LCA: YES

To the OPs point. I asked around a lot, not on RennList, and almost universal opinion was skip lightweight glass and battery. Expensive and some reliability concerns, not to mention supply issues.

Whatever you go with, enjoy!

Last edited by phefner; 02-16-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:04 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Mine 911 GTS is incoming and I went with a simpler spec:

Buckets: YES
LightWeight Glass: NO
RAS: NO
PCCB: NO
LCA: YES

To the OPs point. I asked around a lot, not on RennList, and almost universal opinion was skip lightweight glass and battery. Expensive and some reliability concerns, not to mention supply issues.

Whatever you go with, enjoy!
The problem with asking around is that the information is diluted and second hand. The same story is heard by many folks and it circulates and multiplies. I came from a 991.2T with lightweight glass and never had an issue in 3 and a half years. Anecdotal, but better than the grapevine.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:37 PM
Mr. J
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the lightweight package! Do it not so much for the ultimate weight savings, but instead because it changes the character of the car. Not sure what the take rate is on the LW package on the GTS, but it might also make it a little more unique from everybody else. I went from a 991.1 GTS to a 992 TTS and opted for the lightweight package. Had it a little over a year and absolutely no regrets and would do it again. Definitely changed the character of the car which has a reputation for being too quiet.
catdog2 (02-17-2024)

Quick Reply: 2024 CARRERA GTS LIGHTWEIGHT PACKAGE DECISION TIME