Anyone go from tune to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 01:25 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
*assuming the conversation is constrained to off the shelf tunes

Fuel quality is different all over the place, so there could be benefits to getting a tune that was developed on your local fuel.
Question is really comparing tuner / tuning companies, OTS tune or not. Even custom tunes can be worse than OTS tune in terms of reliability and power. I know a guy with a 992 S who blew a motor and had a tune from a tuner/company outside of the ones I’ve mentioned.

And then there are stories (from thise forum) where they had engine hesitation issues from on tuner and when he switched to another, the problem went away.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:45 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 198 Posts

Sorry I know I wasn't answering your question. I don't have experience working with tuners or shops because I do my own stuff.

I was just trying to add something to the conversation that I have seen come up when comparing tunes from different tuners in different regions.

So more advice is to evaluate the business, their body of work, and their customer satisfaction first and foremost. I.E. is this a dyno version of a lemonade stand? Is it a well functioning business, with happy employees, clean facilities, well organized equipment and storage, a good reputation in the community, active in motorsports, doing dealer level repairs and maintenance etc. etc. ?

**** happens, it's how the company handles it that's important.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:35 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

M-engineering offers the extra features related to cold-start noise and the exhaust valve which I think you can customize. You can use their OTS tune or they can do a custom tune for you which becomes more beneficial if you have mods. APR seems to offer much of the same features, but only OTS tune available. You can use it with mods, but it won't be optimized. COBB seems to be in the middle in that you can custom tune for performance, but I don't think they offer the ability to do the things like the exhaust valve control.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:17 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
Perfect! Thanks!

Now, where do babies come from?

The following 7 users liked this post by 5senna5:
dg108 (01-29-2024), Honza (01-20-2024), jhenson29 (01-20-2024), nesretnika (01-21-2024), Stebbo (01-23-2024), TK42ONE (01-20-2024), Tupper (01-29-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-2024, 04:18 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Perfect! Thanks!

O.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:38 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 213 Posts

Perfect! Thanks!

when you are tuned with M Engineering then try to add an APR tune on top. Babies happen.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Anyone else have experience trying different tunes? Also, anyone have issues with their current APR or Softronics tune?
Old 01-28-2024, 07:41 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

I’ve only had M Eng. I’ve run 93 stage 2 and 91 stage 1.

I have not had any issues with them.
I really enjoy the cold start delete and the valve full open mods.

Not what you’re asking, but that’s all the info I have.
The following users liked this post:
Purekoryo (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 07:42 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

I’ve only had M Eng. I’ve run 93 stage 2 and 91 stage 1.

I have not had any issues with them.
I really enjoy the cold start delete and the valve full open mods.

Not what you’re asking, but that’s all the info I have.
No worries. Thanks for responding!
Old 01-29-2024, 02:00 PM
GodLy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does softronic offers valve full open mod too?

From they website:
Options:
  • RPM rev limiter increase
  • Turn off Auto Start/Stop
  • And more ......
Old 01-31-2024, 03:29 PM
Kik34
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't tried anything other than m engeneering tuner but I can confirm that in my opinion it is the best solution.
first reprogramming of my life on a vehicle.
extremely simple solution to install.
exceptional customer service.
It's quite simply the Rolls Royce for our Porsche vehicles.
For my part, I did not hesitate with any other solution because the m-tuner was obvious.
I live in France and I am proud to have trusted m engeneering.
I am extremely satisfied with their solution.
do not hesitate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kik34:
Angryinch (02-01-2024), Master Deep (01-31-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:50 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,215 Likes on 709 Posts

With a turbo engine, what is there to compare? Boost and timing is the main metrics changed. How far do you want to push your fuel, there is no secret here in tuning?

Get the best fuel you can get, turn the boost and timing up till it knocks a bit and turn the timing back down a degree or so for safety, done. Just because you used ABC vs DFC doesn't mean they can push more power from the same fuel...

Perhaps there is differences if they work on part throttle tuning etc, or rolling in the boost smoother. You definitely, do not want the boost smashing too heavy in the mid RPM range.

This is assuming you can log and send your tune in for revisions, if you CAN'T... find a new tuner.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:21 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I think what the tuners do beyond boost, timing and fuel is what separates the bad from good from great. I haven't tuned my 911 yet, but from past experience with APR and GIAC on Audis, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use them again. It's nice how each of the tuning options for the 992 platform offers something different than the others. It makes you focus less on power to decide.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:17 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
With a turbo engine, what is there to compare? Boost and timing is the main metrics changed. How far do you want to push your fuel, there is no secret here in tuning?

Get the best fuel you can get, turn the boost and timing up till it knocks a bit and turn the timing back down a degree or so for safety, done. Just because you used ABC vs DFC doesn't mean they can push more power from the same fuel...

Perhaps there is differences if they work on part throttle tuning etc, or rolling in the boost smoother. You definitely, do not want the boost smashing too heavy in the mid RPM range.

This is assuming you can log and send your tune in for revisions, if you CAN'T... find a new tuner.
I own a boosted 700hp car that I took to the tuner who is known in the LS world. This thing would spin the wheels at almost 90mph and showed 14psi at 2000rpm. I added a different intercooler and wanted to check the tune. This time with a local guy who happened to know the first guy and respects his work. He spends a few minutes on the laptop, straps her down and after it’s up to temp lets it have it. The numbers were close to the same bit the way it added timing and transmission pressures were different and drives like a normal car until you start getting about half throttle and keeps giving more as the rpm’s rise. Total night and day difference without much if anything as far as the hardware. (I’m using a LS9 lid instead of a CTS-V lid). The fueling, timing, and transmission shifts made it drivable like a stock car when the first tune made the car into a 1/4 mile burnout car.
Tuners do much more than set target AFR and boost numbers. I wouldn’t have known unless I took it in because I thought the lid swap might need to be verified as safe at the levels I’m running and I learn something. I’m not calling anyone out, just trying to tell my story so others can make an educated decision about what tuners can do.
I’m within driving distance from APR but haven’t made a decision to tune or leave it like it came from the factory. I’ve tuned my GL450 and E63. The E63 is NA so the shifting and cold start are really the big things I noticed. The GL450 (3.0tt) ripped but it also damaged the engine mounts and they are a huge pain to swap so I wouldn’t do it again. The LS3/LSA I mentioned is a different vehicle, they really need the extra power but 700 is too much without some chassis bracing. You can feel the chassis twisting so I’m going to pulley down to 625ish where tires will last a bit longer.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from tune to tune?