Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use for insurance for your 992?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024 | 06:37 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Also, to the point that people should be shopping for the lowest cost carrier ... that's the epitome of the old sayin "penny wise, pound foolish". The lowest cost carriers are "lowest" for a reason. Have pity on anyone who has to submit a claim to the lowest cost carrier (I won't name names, but those carriers have been named in this thread already). You get what you paid for.
I agree with the 'penny-wise, pound foolish' phrase for the most part but I've had a number of different carriers over the course of my life and while I hear many people say they've had bad experiences with almost each one that I've heard of, fortunately, I've had few issues, and have had claims with a couple different ones. When my insurance broker, who is also a good friend, suggested I move to Progressive I was really dubious about making that switch, but he assured me it was fine. I didn't have any claims with Progressive so I can't comment firsthand about them. However, I've had GEICO at a few different times over the last few decades and have had claims and they've always paid out and never gave me a problem. Surprisingly, the biggest issue I had on a claim was with USAA a number of years ago, which is supposed to be one of the best, and is usually more expensive than the well-known national carriers in my area. But as someone else commented above, everything is subjective with insurance based on too many variables to be able to compare apples to apples from one person to the next, so YMMV.
Old 01-11-2024 | 07:15 PM
Italiabrain
1st Gear

I have a 992 GT3T, Macan GTS, and a basic Sierra with State Farm with coverage limits upped to $500k property with the other limits upped too, for $305/month.

Late 30’s, Ohio, garaged cars, multi line, driving record, loyalty, spouse but no kids on policy, etc etc….

Old 01-12-2024 | 10:43 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
My dude... You SERIOUSLY need to up all of your liability coverages immediately and get a personal liability umbrella policy of $1 million at a minimum but likely $2 million or more. We all make damn good money to afford these toys. $50K in property damage coverage, $100K in injury coverage... that's ludicriously low since we would be on the hook personally for stuff not covered by insurance.
lol, your exactly right. we did get the umbrella and all three of our cars and increased the home values as well. i honestly didn't know we were that low. but your right, as soon as i noticed this i was like wtf?

but its done and done.
Old 01-12-2024 | 03:14 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

A buddy of mine runs several BMW Collision Centers for a large South Korean automotive conglomerate.
He repeatedly tells me that State Farm and Allstate are horrible to deal with. They repeatedly try and slide by "similar, like new, refurbished" parts vs OEM.
In his experience, Chubb was the best.

YMMV

Old 01-16-2024 | 12:30 AM
jwfrazier
AutoX

My agent was able to set up my insurance on the last two 911's under a "classic car policy", even though they were only a few years old. This made the premium much cheaper. I believe it was Allstate, and they they had my homeowners insurance as well. I think the car had to be garaged, and there was a limit on miles per year, but it was more miles than I drive as they were just weekend cars. One of them was a $165k 997 Turbo, and I think I was only paying around $1,200 per year, but I am 50+ years old. It was about 5 years old when I bought it. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2024 | 04:52 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Safeco. Use an independent agent that works several different companies. I had Allstate and State Farm but they kept cranking up my rates, 1 claim in 30 years, cut too close on a snow bank and found out it was frozen like a rock, bent the rocker panel and sprung the door. $5K or so. I live in Alaska, highest rates in the country.
Old 04-09-2024 | 11:45 PM
NEH51
Rennlist Member

Hey all. California here. State Farm just called today. After 28 years with them and zero claims they are increasing my rates, based on market conditions, by 15% on my '19 Cayenne Turbo. I asked for a quote for my ordered '24 TT and nearly fell out of my chair when she said $5,800/year for 3-4,000 miles driven. I'm in total shock.
I told her that I was going to shop around and possibly move all of my policies (personal articles, home owners, umbrella), she mentioned that insurance companies are pulling out of covering new fire/umbrella policies in CA.
Are others experiencing similar increases in prices and removal of coverage in CA? Any suggestions on a better carrier?
Old 04-09-2024 | 11:54 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NEH51
Hey all. California here. State Farm just called today. After 28 years with them and zero claims they are increasing my rates, based on market conditions, by 15% on my '19 Cayenne Turbo. I asked for a quote for my ordered '24 TT and nearly fell out of my chair when she said $5,800/year for 3-4,000 miles driven. I'm in total shock.
I told her that I was going to shop around and possibly move all of my policies (personal articles, home owners, umbrella), she mentioned that insurance companies are pulling out of covering new fire/umbrella policies in CA.
Are others experiencing similar increases in prices and removal of coverage in CA? Any suggestions on a better carrier?
Yeah California is a complete S fest right now because of runaway costs on veh repairs and insane jury verdicts on injury claims. As a result no insurance company wants to sell insurance in California so it will be tough to find another insurer. Please share who you end up going with and what their rates are. Hold tight before you cancel your homeowners policy because insurers want to ditch those policies even more and you may not be able to find another insurance company that will insure your house.
Old 04-10-2024 | 12:08 AM
NEH51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Yeah California is a complete S fest right now because of runaway costs on veh repairs and insane jury verdicts on injury claims. As a result no insurance company wants to sell insurance in California so it will be tough to find another insurer. Please share who you end up going with and what their rates are. Hold tight before you cancel your homeowners policy because insurers want to ditch those policies even more and you may not be able to find another insurance company that will insure your house.
Yeah, this is my concern. I have a feeling that I will just end up keeping everything with State Farm, but damn, that sucks. I will provide an update if I actually switch.
Old 04-10-2024 | 12:16 AM
nyca
Drifting

No one seems to try Hagerty or Grundy, its an agreed value program and its not for anyone who uses their 911 as a daily driver, but most people have other cars for that.
Old 04-10-2024 | 02:07 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

I'm in the bay area, with Progressive and for a mid thirties couple, with just over 2 years of A US licence (apparently california doesn't care for past driving history, as confirmed by Geico and progressive), I pay $1430 for 6 months of cover for a '22 X3 M40i and a' 22 GT4. I have a $500 deductible, $50 rental car and top for all liability etc. Doing a GT4 replacement with a '24 992 GTS, the pricing changed to $18xx for 6 months.
I also have motorcycle insurance with them.
Edit: mileage for the X3 is 12k annually and GT4 is 7k manually.
Old 04-10-2024 | 02:58 AM
3uros
Rennlist Member

People question Mercury but they're offering the best rates right now. I've never had any problems with them in the past. AAA was slightly more. Hagerty and Farmers were the next highest at closer to $3000 per six months. All the rest were exorbitant including Progressive, Allstate, and Geico.
Old 04-10-2024 | 08:03 AM
txpackers
Racer

Very similar to me. I’ve had all my insurance with State Farm for over 35 years and living in 4 different states. Any time I called other companies for quotes, no one could beat State Farm because of all the discounts they were giving me.

Early last year my agent told me they will no longer write new home owner policies in CA. So if I ever move to a new house, I’ll need to find another company. I fully expect at some point they’ll cancel all homeowners, even people like me who are nowhere near fire zones.

Regarding the 911, I wasn’t too surprised by the quote. I don’t recall the exact numbers, but I think it was around $3,600/year on a 2023 Carrera S. I looked around and the best deal I found was Porsche Insurance. They’re a pay by mile policy and use agreed value. I pay about $1,200/year for 7,500 miles with AGV of $180k. Cost is $0.10/mile less if I’m under 7,500 miles or $0.10/mile more if I’m over. Another thing I like is they let me only include my wife as another insured driver. Two of our kids are still in the house, but won’t ever drive the car so it was nice I could keep them off the policy.

One thing to note if you go this way and have a State Farm umbrella policy: they will require a copy of your Porsche policy every 6 months to maintain your umbrella insurance.
Old 04-10-2024 | 08:53 AM
HOTCHKIS
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
No one seems to try Hagerty or Grundy, its an agreed value program and its not for anyone who uses their 911 as a daily driver, but most people have other cars for that.
Hagerty had quoted me $8g in FL
Old 04-10-2024 | 12:43 PM
nyca
Drifting

The key with Hagerty (and Grundy too) is that you need a classic car as the "base car" for the policy, so the "new exotic" is an add, not the only car on the policy. It's not something everyone can setup or has in place already, but if you can structure yourself with a classic car that has some modest agreed upon value (so your base premium is reasonably low), it makes all the difference on the 911 rate.

Quick Reply: What do you use for insurance for your 992?