Unknown wires tapped into harness potentially drawing battery current

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 12:40 AM
kenjis992
Track Day

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Unknown wires tapped into harness potentially drawing battery current

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my 2020 C2S Cab went completely dead on start and had to be towed to a dealer, which I posted about the ordeal I had with getting proper towing since the pdk was locked in park and couldn't engage to neutral. Today the nearest dealer technician was able to charge the battery and it passed the test, so there is no battery issue.

However, there is a draw from an unknown source as the tool that measures the battery draw indicated 0.103 when it should be 0.030. Upon inspection they discovered two none oem, what appears to be aftermarket wires plugged into the harness.
Recommendation is to remove the wires then re-check 12v system (3 hours of labor at $960 since they have to take surrounding apart...)

Question 1: Does anyone have any idea what these two cables are ? The only thing I can think of maybe Stargard GPS/Anti Theft system, which I requested to have removed before acquisition. Maybe they removed it but left the wires ?

Background: 911 CS2 Cab was acquired August of 2022 under 5k miles at a different dealer, it is CPO, and to my knowledge no after market parts was installed as CPOs technically cannot have after market parts. The dealer where I acquired the car, acquired it from another dealer, likely an early lease termination.

A CPO car is a CPO car. I don't think I should have to pay when I didn't install these wires and I acquired this vehicle with the understanding that no aftermarket had been installed. It's not my fault that the dealer I acquired it from (not same as where the car is being serviced) did not spot the aftermarket wires before calling it a CPO car.

I have sent an email to the dealer where I acquired the car to either pay or reimburse me to resolve this issue, we'll see how it goes. In the mean time any help identifying what those two wires would be really appreciated for those who have a decent technical knowledge of the 992.

TIA

Last edited by kenjis992; 12-17-2023 at 01:00 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-17-2023, 08:44 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 101 Posts

Agree most likely a GPS tracker module was installed at some point.
Agree selling dealer should pay cost to remove.
Any reason you could not have the work done by selling dealer? Not that it matters at this point, just curious.
Good luck.
R
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:23 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

CPO requires has an extensive checklist to make sure the car meets OEM standards for warranty coverage. The condition of this car does not meet that standard and you paid for a CPO car. I expect that the dealer that CPO'ed this car is obligated to make sure it meets the necessary standard.

If it's drawing a current, I would presume it's not disconnected.

Tapping into harnesses can be a real problem. There can be gremlins after the fact - these harnesses are insanely complex and expensive. It's like a central nervous system. Nick Murray ended up lemoning two cars, arguably because he was monkeying around with aftermarket installs.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (12-17-2023), Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 01:16 PM
kenjis992
Track Day

selling dealer is bit far away from where I live and where the car is currently, little over a hour. It's doable and is an option.
Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 02:32 PM
9ElevenFan
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kenjis992
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my 2020 C2S Cab went completely dead on start and had to be towed to a dealer, which I posted about the ordeal I had with getting proper towing since the pdk was locked in park and couldn't engage to neutral. Today the nearest dealer technician was able to charge the battery and it passed the test, so there is no battery issue.

However, there is a draw from an unknown source as the tool that measures the battery draw indicated 0.103 when it should be 0.030. Upon inspection they discovered two none oem, what appears to be aftermarket wires plugged into the harness.
Recommendation is to remove the wires then re-check 12v system (3 hours of labor at $960 since they have to take surrounding apart...)

Question 1: Does anyone have any idea what these two cables are ? The only thing I can think of maybe Stargard GPS/Anti Theft system, which I requested to have removed before acquisition. Maybe they removed it but left the wires ?

Background: 911 CS2 Cab was acquired August of 2022 under 5k miles at a different dealer, it is CPO, and to my knowledge no after market parts was installed as CPOs technically cannot have after market parts. The dealer where I acquired the car, acquired it from another dealer, likely an early lease termination.

A CPO car is a CPO car. I don't think I should have to pay when I didn't install these wires and I acquired this vehicle with the understanding that no aftermarket had been installed. It's not my fault that the dealer I acquired it from (not same as where the car is being serviced) did not spot the aftermarket wires before calling it a CPO car.

I have sent an email to the dealer where I acquired the car to either pay or reimburse me to resolve this issue, we'll see how it goes. In the mean time any help identifying what those two wires would be really appreciated for those who have a decent technical knowledge of the 992.

TIA

Where exactly is this located ? I can't tell from the photo's. I would like to check to see if I have the same thing (I also refused Stargaurd on delivery day). I would definitely go back and have the dealer remove them at their expense.
Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 05:59 PM
kenjis992
Track Day

Update: I spoke with my BA from the dealer where I acquired the car, they offered to cover the cost at the dealer where the car is currently or I can bring it to them and they will take care of it.

I opted to keep the car where it is as I don't want to drive it with this issue unresolved or risk further aggravating it, unfortunately the dealer where I got it from is bit over a hour from where I live and I don't have the time to drive it down and also add miles to the car I don't really want to put.

This is located underneath the steering wheel toward driver's side footwell. What you see is the foot rest pedal and the box compartment that can be opened.
The following 2 users liked this post by kenjis992:
9ElevenFan (12-18-2023), raider888 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 06:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by kenjis992
Update: I spoke with my BA from the dealer where I acquired the car, they offered to cover the cost at the dealer where the car is currently or I can bring it to them and they will take care of it.

I opted to keep the car where it is as I don't want to drive it with this issue unresolved or risk further aggravating it, unfortunately the dealer where I got it from is bit over a hour from where I live and I don't have the time to drive it down and also add miles to the car I don't really want to put.

This is located underneath the steering wheel toward driver's side footwell. What you see is the foot rest pedal and the box compartment that can be opened.
Sounds like they are doing the right thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Schwarz992C4S (12-17-2023), Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:26 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

Nice the dealer is handling it.

But man an hour away? That is nothing. I'd go to the original dealer just to have a nice drive in the car. If your worried about putting 120 miles on the car, why did you even buy it?
The following 2 users liked this post by adrianp89:
ferraris (12-18-2023), Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 03:37 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 141 Posts

If it’s not connected to anything, then there is no current draw. So if it’s just two wires, not connected to anything….your wasting your time.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:50 PM
kenjis992
Track Day

Well they won't know if it's connected to anything yet without getting in there so we shall see.
Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:51 PM
kenjis992
Track Day

It's little bit more than that and it is simply inconvenient for me. why I bought it doesn't concerns you.
Vernin (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 06:20 PM
kenjis992
Track Day

Update: The unknown wires were indeed Stargard GPS/Anti Theft system, which I requested to have removed before acquisition. Looks like it wasn't removed by the dealer where I acquired the car from and it has been draining my battery for over a year till it completely gave out last week and had to be towed to the nearest dealer.

This also explains why during the colder months occasionally when starting the car early in the morning I would get a "vehicle chassis system error", I did have the dealer I regularly get my car serviced (different from where I got the Stargard removed and also acquired the car) investigate and they couldn't find any issue with the battery or any system fault. From then on I religiously started charging the car with the Porsche charge-o-mat, which worked till last week till it finally gave out.

I got the car back today and all is well. Hope this helps others.

Stargard GPS/Anti-Theft System, no bueno. It will drain your battery if it's not physically removed completely. This is located underneath steering wheel column connected to the harness. It took a total of three hours to remove by the service technician at a cost of $960. The dealer I acquired the car from covered the cost to remove it.

TLDR: If dealer notes your 992 has a Stargard GPS/Anti Theft System and if you don't want it (highly recommend), ensure they remove the hardware/wires physically completely not just deactivate it or else it will drain your battery continuously till it gives out and you have to deal with headache getting proper towing for your 992 pdk locked in park (see link 'ordeal' in first post).

Last edited by kenjis992; 12-19-2023 at 06:51 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by kenjis992:
AlterZgo (12-19-2023), Leecw (12-19-2023), PG5768 (12-19-2023), PHX (12-19-2023), raider888 (12-20-2023), Vernin (12-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Unknown wires tapped into harness potentially drawing battery current