Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera S--2WD or 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 03:23 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

I live in Denver, CO and had a 997 4S Cab but went with the 2S 992. I love the RWD. I have a winter set of rubber that I swap on and off, which you won't need. I have the RAS. And I have the extra range fuel tank. It is really nice getting 500+ miles out of a tank.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Behr
OK, 2WD it'll be.. I thank each of you for your opinions and insights.. When we do NOT turn into 'smart'asses, this forum is HIGHLY useful. 😀
There is at least one smart *** comment above, you may have missed it. 😉

I agree with driving both models. They do drive different. After my test drives, I chose 4S on mine, and love how it drives and handles (and SPASM, RAS, FAL, PDCC).

Both are fun and drive great. Enjoy your 2WD.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:16 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

OK, 2WD it'll be.. I thank each of you for your opinions and insights.. When we do NOT turn into 'smart'asses, this forum is HIGHLY useful. 😀
2S clearly the right choice for you.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I live in Phoenix where it's hotter than the hubs of hell in the summer and merely warm and never freezing in the nonsummer.. It rains here--sometimes VERY heavily--but never snows, and I plan never to drive my car into areas where it could snow in their winters.. I'm now configuring a new 992 and awaiting an allocation.. I'd never track my car.. Currently that configuration includes a Carrera 4S totaling almost $184K on a base of $139K.. If you were putting one together and had no problem paying for whatever you want, would you order the 4S or the S?

FWIW, I got the (2)S to $180K.

When I use to live in San Diego, we had a name for people from Arizona: We called them “Zonies”…who flooded SD beaches in the Summer to escape your heat.

In any event, I have 2W on my 992S, and now live in the Mid-Atlantic, where we get an occasional smattering of snow…but have other cars I use when bad weather arrives. I assume anybody that has the money to buy a 992, also has other cars they can use?

I’ve had my 992S for nearly 3 years now. Never tracked, but do drive it hard on windy roads. My observations:

- If you accelerate out of a tight turn (say, coming out of a round about), and you hit the gas, the rear WILL kick out on you. First time it happened to me, I was a bit surprised, but now I know what to expect, I LOVE the sensation. Just be aware it can happen if you hit the accelerator hard.

- I decided not to get the 4W drive for several reasons…one is my first point above, second is to reduce weight and finally, to have one less thing that needs maintenance.

- I have noticed a few times, from a dead stop, when my tires are not yet warm, that if I hammer the acceleration, I sometimes get a tiny bit of wheel slippage off the line. It does NOT impact the car’s stability when accelerating in a straight line, but if you are looking for the best possible 0-60 times, 4W drive will give you a slightly better time. I routinely get 3.2 sec to 60mph, I’ve read that with 4WD, auto sources have quoted 3.1 sec. Not a big difference, but thought I would mention it. These are “uncorrected”/raw times.

Would I buy 2WD over 4WD, again….no question about it. Yes, I would.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-14-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:34 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

You made the right choice for a C2S...and this coming from a C4GTS owner.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:37 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Never drive a Porsche in the rain because it might get wet, or in the snow because it might slide or at the track because it might go fast. As such, I'd recommend a Buick.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:20 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
When I use to live in San Diego, we had a name for people from Arizona: We called them “Zonies”…who flooded SD beaches in the Summer to escape your heat.

In any event, I have 2W on my 992S, and now live in the Mid-Atlantic, where we get an occasional smattering of snow…but have other cars I use when bad weather arrives. I assume anybody that has the money to buy a 992, also has other cars they can use?

I’ve had my 992S for nearly 3 years now. Never tracked, but do drive it hard on windy roads. My observations:

- If you accelerate out of a tight turn (say, coming out of a round about), and you hit the gas, the rear WILL kick out on you. First time it happened to me, I was a bit surprised, but now I know what to expect, I LOVE the sensation. Just be aware it can happen if you hit the accelerator hard.

- I decided not to get the 4W drive for several reasons…one is my first point above, second is to reduce weight and finally, to have one less thing that needs maintenance.

- I have noticed a few times, from a dead stop, when my tires are not yet warm, that if I hammer the acceleration, I sometimes get a tiny bit of wheel slippage off the line. It does NOT impact the car’s stability when accelerating in a straight line, but if you are looking for the best possible 0-60 times, 4W drive will give you a slightly better time. I routinely get 3.2 sec to 60mph, I’ve read that with 4WD, auto sources have quoted 3.1 sec. Not a big difference, but thought I would mention it. These are “uncorrected”/raw times.

Would I buy 2WD over 4WD, again….no question about it. Yes, I would.
This Zonie thanks you for your insights.. Yes, I have a '23 Ford Explorer ST that also has a 3L, twin-turbo'd engine and requires premium gas. 🙂
The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 02:40 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

This Zonie thanks you for your insights.. Yes, I have a '23 Ford Explorer ST that also has a 3L, twin-turbo'd engine and requires premium gas. 🙂

I, as have a few other Rennlisters, gone to AWD EV as our 2nd, 3rd or even 4th car. Each car for the right condition. But if you enjoy being able to move the tail around as you come out of a curve, well, 2WD with torque is the way to go!

Cheers.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-14-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:00 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

S

Because it rocks.

I had the back end slip out on me a few times when I drove it, and it was a joy.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:32 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

My choice would be for a 2S with the extended range Fuel Tank. It lets me choose when and where to purchase gasoline. I didn't wind up with the wherewithal to buy this car because I didn't pay attention to the pennies.
In AZ you do not need 4WD unless you visit Flagstaff, the California Sierras (or thereabouts) in the winter and even then . . . .
FWIW I'd loose the stripe (IMHO, they're for model cars you built as a kid) and get the Truffle Brown interior with the Adventurine Green.
The following users liked this post:
Duct Tape (12-24-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 03:03 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I vote 2S for the better steering, extended range fuel tank, lower weight, and lower price. 911s have great wet traction due to all of the weight sitting over the rear axle.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:51 AM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

The manual C2S out accelerates the C4S on dry roads if you care about that sort of thing. I remember that the 3500 rpm launch bogs the engine down on C4S from the car and driver comparison.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:36 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

The 4S won’t do any better in the snow on summer tires

And skip the extended tank unless you are making long trips all the time.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera S--2WD or 4WD?