Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non refundable Partial payment toward Vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 05:19 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
$31K in options? I can see why the dealer wants a strong commitment to YOUR vehicle.
$20-$35k in options is typical for a 992. Not high.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:26 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,757 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I have an Spyder RS on order with Plano, no problem with the deposit— regardless of refundable or not wording.

If you’re committed to the car place the deposit and get your allocation.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:28 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

If it is a non-refundable deposit once you submit your order, I would have no problem with that as long as, as others have said, the final price is set out in the contract. You have to be a fool to give a non-refundable deposit on any contract without knowing the price. Don't people watch Judge Judy and the People's Court?
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
AlexCeres (12-07-2023), Final_Final_v4 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:35 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Don't people watch Judge Judy and the People's Court?
Not since the advent of streaming and too much good content to possibly consume.
The following users liked this post:
Galvano (04-05-2024)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:44 PM
ttusqrl
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a heads up, Plano believes in "market pricing". They will talk a big game about how it's not ADM because it fluctuates with the market, but it is never in the buyer's favor. I would highly recommend, similar to above, that you get the price in writing. Other DFW dealerships will only sell MSRP, so I'd be more comfortable with Autobahn or others if this was the case.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:50 PM
Mike Martinson
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you. After talking to other Porsche Dealers, I feel that I will wait. I have been in discussion with Houston Dealers, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas. Most I have been on the "List" since June. I sent one message to Plano and I have an allocation. It just doesn't seem right. I don't mind putting 5k down on any car that I would want to buy. But, here it seems like give us 5k and you will have instore credit. My gut says to walk away and I am doing that. Hopefully, I will be able to get an S allocation, if not the CPO road may be the best option. Thank you everyone for the response.
AlexCeres (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 07:40 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 358 Posts

The following Thread on Porsche 992 Forum explains why you were offered an allocation with no wait-list: How to get a 911 Allocation Sooner....
(Read the Thread from the top)

I assume if you place an order, with Deposit, you & they will sign an order sheet showing all the cost, fees, items, final price, etc, etc... Your Deposit will show going against the money owed for the vehicle. I really do not see any issue here if everything is documented up front.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 12-08-2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:55 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 293 Posts

To lock in an allocation most average folk will have to put a deposit, unless you are not average and are well know to the dealer (maybe). It was $5K for me which I think is the norm that I've seen on rennlist. Some have reported much higher than $5K and some lower.

If that is the car you want I would take it, but make sure you get all of the details in writing - as others have said.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
When I ordered I was told my deposit was non-refundable. I balked at the idea, but then thought about the fact that I was ordering to spec and I knew I would not back out. So it was fine. I did ensure all the terms, MSRP less discount, etc. were in the agreement. I even negotiated a better discount at purchase. However, this is the sticking point, give them the $5k and sign the contract, but ensure they can't add ADM unless you already know and it is defined, and they can't add other items. Make sure all the terms of your purchase are included along with the non-refundable. They can protect them but you gotta protect you too.
This. There needs to be a final cash price, all options, all fees, all everything. It isn’t legit to have a partial payment to a not-purchase. And to be a purchase requires a price. And there needs to be a delivery time frame. If they want “market price at delivery” ADM then it needs to be refundable. If they want “market price right now” then that’s just part of the bill.

If they really had a build slot and a time line for v200, I wouldn’t necessarily have a problem with a non-refundable deposit / whatever. But I would absolutely require a final cash price in writing, and an escape clause to refund the deposit if they fail to deliver the vehicle within a certain time frame.

Not lawyer, not in Texas, don’t have Texas problems, etc etc
Old 12-07-2023, 08:32 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Run to another dealership ASAP then reassure yourself with a check on dealer's rep on BBB.com
Old 12-08-2023, 01:02 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
The following Thread on Porsche 992 Forum explains why you were offered an allocation with no wait-list: How to get a 911 Allocation Sooner....
(Read the Thread from the top)

I assume if you place an order, with Deposit, you & they will sign an order sheet showing all the cost, fees, etc, etc... Your Deposit will show going against the money owed for the vehicle. I really do not see any issue here if everything is documented up front.

You probably got lucky. I pop by to chat with my SA every now and again. He still says 12-18 months wait. But also had an S coupe allocation unspoken for back in October.

For my 992 he quoted me 6-9 months this time in 2021. Before I submitted a build. I put a deposit and submitted a c4s build with around $40k in options. Allocation came in 9 months later.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:49 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Martinson
Got a call today about a Carrera S allocation. They want a Deposit that says it will be non-refundable and partial payment to the car. I really don't mind this going towards the car. However, the salesman told me the deposit was refundable and the document clearly states it will not be.
Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance.
What is your concern with the non-refundable besides the principal of it? You're right, the document should clearly state msrp and nothing extra you need to buy. You should stipulate though deposit refund for unforseen circumstances i.e. car damage, job loss, relocation etc.

With that said, your build is missing a few key options including sports package, fuel cap and a few others.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:50 AM
Mike Martinson
Track Day

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
What is your concern with the non-refundable besides the principal of it? You're right, the document should clearly state msrp and nothing extra you need to buy. You should stipulate though deposit refund for unforseen circumstances i.e. car damage, job loss, relocation etc.

With that said, your build is missing a few key options including sports package, fuel cap and a few others.
It's not so much that I am concerned with the deposit as I really want the car. I guess it was somewhat of "Red Flag" that after months of talking to other dealers, he had an allocation on the first day of talking to him. Maybe I am over thinking this, but it did give me pause.

I have Sports Chrono and Sport Exhaust, I just didn't lower it by 10mm.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:06 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Martinson
......I guess it was somewhat of "Red Flag" that after months of talking to other dealers, he had an allocation on the first day of talking to him. Maybe I am over thinking this, but it did give me pause..
You are overthinking this way too much! Some Dealers handle their Allocation Wait-list in different ways. I was in the same boat as you. I was on the wait list at 2 dealers with quoted times of 2-3 years and 10 - 14 months. Then I contacted a 3rd dealer in my area, and had an allocation that day.

Porsche is providing extra allocations to dealers who sell high profit builds, and some Dealers are taking advantage of this to obtain extra allocations for their customers. So yes, you can jump to be 1st in line with a high "Options/Total Cost Ratio" build, because it gives the dealer another allocation for the person who you jumped in front of. Thus the Dealer sells 2 cars.

No "Red Flags" as you say... If you are ordering a custom $150K item, I would expect a deposit of 10% to show you are a serious buyer and not going to walk away at the end leaving the seller with a bespoke build that maybe hard to sell.

Read the entire thread over at the 992 forum that explain this process that Porsche is using to increase 911 profits with constrained 911 capacity: How to Get a 911 Allocation Sooner

Mike Martinson (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 01:00 PM
Mike Martinson
Track Day

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
You are overthinking this way too much! Some Dealers handle their Allocation Wait-list in different ways. I was in the same boat as you. I was on the wait list at 2 dealers with quoted times of 2-3 years and 10 - 14 months. Then I contacted a 3rd dealer in my area, and had an allocation that day.

Porsche is providing extra allocations to dealers who sell high profit builds, and some Dealers are taking advantage of this to obtain extra allocations for their customers. So yes, you can jump to be 1st in line with a high "Options/Total Cost Ratio" build, because it gives the dealer another allocation for the person who you jumped in front of. Thus the Dealer sells 2 cars.

No "Red Flags" as you say... If you are ordering a custom $150K item, I would expect a deposit of 10% to show you are a serious buyer and not going to walk away at the end leaving the seller with a bespoke build that maybe hard to sell.

Read the entire thread over at the 992 forum that explain this process that Porsche is using to increase 911 profits with constrained 911 capacity: How to Get a 911 Allocation Sooner
sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Non refundable Partial payment toward Vehicle.