Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to connect battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 07:01 PM
AMack6
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got the comfort connect setup on my Carrera T (AGM) battery. I used the negative ground point that @Diablo Dude shows. Everything appears to be working OK but I didn’t change any nuts as some folks are saying they did (I just reused the factory ones and tightened down) - I wouldn’t say I’m very mechanically inclined but should I have changed one of the nuts I removed to hook up the comfort connect? (Either the positive nut on the battery or the nut I removed to do the negative ground?) And if so, can someone explain why we should do that? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2024, 11:14 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 932 Likes on 521 Posts

You used the ground on the firewall, the 13mm nut? That's fine so long as you loosened the factory one so you could place your charger cable lug below it. The issue with that connection point is that you can't spin a second nut on top of the factory one there, the ground on top is unreliable. On the battery posts, you can top up with a thin M6 nut to hold the charger eyelet.
Old 08-05-2024, 11:37 PM
C21ban
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 126 Posts

So far plugging into the footwell 12V receptacle has worked fine for me. No need to run any plug or attach to a nut underneath the panels so all good w/ the the CTEK MXS-5.0 w/12v adapter on a AGM battery. Can’t speak for those who have LI batteries.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:40 AM
AMack6
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
You used the ground on the firewall, the 13mm nut? That's fine so long as you loosened the factory one so you could place your charger cable lug below it. The issue with that connection point is that you can't spin a second nut on top of the factory one there, the ground on top is unreliable. On the battery posts, you can top up with a thin M6 nut to hold the charger eyelet.
No I used a ground adjacent to the passenger side strut tower - pretty much exactly how it was shown in post 12 of this thread. I was able to just remove the factory nut (for the positive connection on the battery) and factory bolt (for the negative ground) and then put the CTEK comfort connect loops (?) on before retightening the respective nut / bolt to make sure everything is secure. It seems to be OK that’s why I’m confused as to various people talking about using an aftermarket nut somewhere. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t do anything that could damage the battery or vehicle at any point.
The following users liked this post:
nyca (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 04:55 AM
a911t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C21ban
So far plugging into the footwell 12V receptacle has worked fine for me. No need to run any plug or attach to a nut underneath the panels so all good w/ the the CTEK MXS-5.0 w/12v adapter on a AGM battery. Can’t speak for those who have LI batteries.
how have you gone getting the charger cable out the door. When I run it out under the door it gets clamped very tight by the door seal etc and I am concerned it would lead to damage to the cable or door seal over time.
Old 08-06-2024, 09:46 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 298 Posts

I've always just plugged into the socket, without locking car, turning on PCM. Never had it stop charging, unless the plug-in order is wrong. That seems to be the only criteria. Which end you plug in first. I've never understood why people say it stops. I've done this on 6 different 911's with about 3-4 different tenders. Maybe the 992 is different but I'm going to attempt the plug first.

And the cable doesn't seem to take damage running under the closed door.

Last edited by Ceepe; 08-06-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Where to connect battery tender