Sponsored by:

Where to connect battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Non.Sequitur
5th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS369
If you check your manual from Porsche - This is how they advise to connect it as well. ie not direct onto the + and - terminals of the battery. So am simply guessing that the people whom designed the car do know what they are talking about and have a good reason for this method.
cheers
Hmm. I don't see any reference to attaching an open circuit harness / pigtail. Only instructions for connecting a charger per se. Can you please provide the citation / reference?

Moreover, do you know the operative difference between both applications? I suppose not, as you yourself say you are "simply guessing" that there is a good reason for "this method."

Indeed, there is a good reason for the method, but not for pigtail installation. The reference in the manual you are trying to cite is not applicable to the discussion of pigtail mounting points, which do not present the same "risks" as connecting a "charger" directly, or attaching jumper cables from another vehicle's battery.

Rather, your lack of understanding for WHY the manual is recommending what is being recommended (and your willingness to be content with "guessing") is causing you to extrapolate from the specific use-case documented therein, and erroneously augmenting its scope of applicability.

This forum is in the "Porsche TECHNICAL discussion areas" section of Rennlist. Not the Porshe "I'm just guessing" section. If you want to guess at why things are written in a manual, go for it, but members of a technical forum should at least pretend to care about how and why things work the way they do, and act accordingly. At a very minimum, there should be respect for reading the manual carefully (i.e. reading what's there, and not what isn't), and not extrapolating based on faulty assumptions.

I'm half expecting that someone next recommends that the negative battery terminal be moved from the battery to the other end of the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Non.Sequitur:
981KMAN (12-07-2023), jlegelis (12-06-2023), Res Ips (12-06-2023), TimD (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:28 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL!!!

I agree. There's no reason to have a negative battery terminal in the front. So I recommend that the negative battery terminal be moved deep within the engine bay for much easier access.

Last edited by Res Ips; 12-06-2023 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:12 AM
DWS369
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Non.Sequitur
Hmm. I don't see any reference to attaching an open circuit harness / pigtail. Only instructions for connecting a charger per se. Can you please provide the citation / reference?

Moreover, do you know the operative difference between both applications? I suppose not, as you yourself say you are "simply guessing" that there is a good reason for "this method."

Indeed, there is a good reason for the method, but not for pigtail installation. The reference in the manual you are trying to cite is not applicable to the discussion of pigtail mounting points, which do not present the same "risks" as connecting a "charger" directly, or attaching jumper cables from another vehicle's battery.

Rather, your lack of understanding for WHY the manual is recommending what is being recommended (and your willingness to be content with "guessing") is causing you to extrapolate from the specific use-case documented therein, and erroneously augmenting its scope of applicability.

This forum is in the "Porsche TECHNICAL discussion areas" section of Rennlist. Not the Porshe "I'm just guessing" section. If you want to guess at why things are written in a manual, go for it, but members of a technical forum should at least pretend to care about how and why things work the way they do, and act accordingly. At a very minimum, there should be respect for reading the manual carefully (i.e. reading what's there, and not what isn't), and not extrapolating based on faulty assumptions.

I'm half expecting that someone next recommends that the negative battery terminal be moved from the battery to the other end of the car.
Ok fine, I gave a suggestion to the OP that was different to yours. Am not going to get into a longwinded debate with you, I connect my CTEK as per Porsche recommendations - you do as you feel is best, and hopefully the OP will make a best judgement call for getting sorted.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2023, 11:26 AM
Non.Sequitur
5th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I connect my CTEK as per Porsche recommendations.
Too bad we're not talking about connecting a "CTEK." We're talking about connecting an insulated, open circuit pigtail. So, if by "CTEK" you mean the pigtail, when you say you connect it as "per Porsche recommendations," you're wrong, because there are no Porsche recommendations for connecting a pigtail that anyone can cite (as of yet, at least?).

I gave a suggestion to the OP that was different to yours... you do as you feel is best, and hopefully the OP will make a best judgement call for getting sorted.
Absolutely. Agree 100%. I just wish people would stop justifying their decisions and making recommendations (spreading misinformation in the process (i.e. "as per Porsche recommendations")) based on misreading from technical ignorance.

Regardless of all of this, enjoy the car and the driving. That's the main point, and not how any one of us decide to tend a battery... Cheers...

Last edited by Non.Sequitur; 12-07-2023 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Drstimpy2!
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Any ideas for those of us that (gasp) park the car outside and wish to hook up a tender when we go on vacation and such? I have a 0.5 Kw/hr battery that I could hook my tender to and close the frunk. Probably would easily last a week.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:01 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,388 Likes on 669 Posts

First snowfall and I will connect my CTEK for the first time. I plan on using the footwell socket and following the procedure outlined in previous threads on how to prevent the CTEK from stopping charging. Don't understand why this process has not been mentioned at all in this thread.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:26 PM
C4SNY
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

I originally installed my ctek battery tender directly to both terminals on the battery and then noticed that my Porsche service center corrected it and moved the negative wire to the ground on the body. This seems like the correct method to prevent any issues with the car system. See the attached.
The following 3 users liked this post by C4SNY:
DC1960 (12-10-2023), HOTCHKIS (12-07-2023), slwong23 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 12:34 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Old 12-07-2023, 04:21 PM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SNY
I originally installed my ctek battery tender directly to both terminals on the battery and then noticed that my Porsche service center corrected it and moved the negative wire to the ground on the body. This seems like the correct method to prevent any issues with the car system. See the attached.
I was thinking of using that ground connector as well but mine is covered with a lot of paint and I was reluctant to remove the paint in order to keep the car in its original state ...
So I attached the ground to the strut that hold down the battery. Works well so far.

Somebody posted this a while ago:

I found no way in attaching a (extended) pigtail ground wire to the designated negative terminal as this is a long bolt that goes deep into the chassis. Might work well with a clamp but I wanted a permanent solution.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:12 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 339 Posts

Have to love this thread!

I'm in the camp that connections for a Pigtail Cable to be used with a Battery Tender (CTEK) are different than connections for temporary Jump Starting or High Amperage Charging.

I have this direct to battery terminals setup on a 981, 982 & 991.2 and they all work great!

Batter Tender Cable Connections Direct to Battery.

I route the Cable end thru the Vent Slots in the Cover....

The following users liked this post:
TimD (12-07-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 03:54 PM
gsk326
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

I hooked up my new CTEK 7002 tender (56-353) this morning. I actually had the 75 cent M6 hex nut on my positive post from the factory. I did end up getting the CTEK M6 eyelets, (56-629) which do fit nicely. I will send back the CTEK M8 eyelets (56-382). I used a 10 mm socket wrench to remove the nuts and retighten them. I mentioned the details in case someone else wants to use this hook up. Thank you for all of your helpful comments.

Hook up

Connected to my CTEK; all correct lights are on.
The following 5 users liked this post by gsk326:
DC1960 (12-10-2023), Dezeinstein (07-06-2024), dg108 (03-14-2024), Icegrill (12-09-2023), vg247 (03-16-2024)
Old 12-09-2023, 04:04 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 123 Posts

FWIW, i am having zero issues connecting the charger into the passenger footwell socket on my 24
The following 2 users liked this post by gellie:
BED997 (01-10-2024), Icegrill (12-09-2023)
Old 01-10-2024, 05:39 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
FWIW, i am having zero issues connecting the charger into the passenger footwell socket on my 24
How did you route your cable out of the car? Did you leave your window a little open?
Old 01-10-2024, 07:43 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
How did you route your cable out of the car? Did you leave your window a little open?
bottom of passenger door. Weather striping wont crush the wire

Old 01-10-2024, 07:47 PM
AZTechGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

There’s a socket in the passenger footwell? Seriously. I guess I need to look. Not a passenger normally……

Quick Reply: Where to connect battery tender