992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS vs. S Manual Gear Shift Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023 | 03:06 PM
992 911 GTS

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Thanks for all the input regard the differences between the GTS and S Shifter. That was my question.

I have driven a 992.1 GTS manual and found the gear shifter to be excellent. No need to buy anything else when the stock unit is excellent.

I have a 992.1 S on order and was just interested to understand the differences, if any, between the 2 OEM gear shifters. From what is stated above, it seems that the height of the gear level is the only change ( - 10mm for the GTS) . This small change may make a difference, yet I may not be able to tell. So I'll wait for my S to arrive and evaluate if an upgrade to the GTS gear lever is worth the cost & effort. Thanks!

i have numeric shifter and cables on my 992 GTS coupe. Much better than stock when installed properly. Not even close. But you do get a little drivetrain feedback in the cabin due to the metal cables.
Old 12-06-2023 | 03:10 PM
atomicUpdate
Intermediate

I know it’s been discussed before, but I always like a bit more feedback on it. Which springs did you guys go with for your Numeric shifters?
Old 12-08-2023 | 06:43 PM
992 911 GTS

Originally Posted by atomicUpdate
I know it’s been discussed before, but I always like a bit more feedback on it. Which springs did you guys go with for your Numeric shifters?
i went with the firmest springs. Shifter action way better but I think the cables aren’t for everyone. It introduces a bit of cabin chatter.

I also have a JCR non res exhaust on mine, so I’ve pushed the car in the rawness direction away from refined. It makes the car much more interesting.
Old 12-08-2023 | 06:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Soft springs x2.
Old 12-08-2023 | 07:11 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

“Better” and “worse” obviously have entirely different meanings to different people. There are long threads about the Neumeric shifter where some say they hated it and went back to stock, and others say they love it and it “transformed” the car. I’ve searched part numbers and talked to Porsche mechanics, and I’ve found that the part number for the shift mechanism in the Spyder/GT4 is the same as the one in the 992GT3. One Rennlister (and only one to my knowledge) says that he installed the GT3 shifter in his 992S. He says that he first installed the Neumeric shifter but hated it. He says he then removed the Neumeric and then installed the mechanism from the GT3 (yes even though one is a 6 speed and one is a 7 speed) and loved the result. If I ever want to experiment, I’d try the GT3 shifter first. However, I’m coming to peace with the stock 992GTS shifter. It’s certainly “different” from the one in my Spyder, but I continue to dislike it less and less. It’s not perfect (as I find the one in my Spyder) but it’s pretty darn good.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 12-08-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2023 | 08:15 PM
Andy2021
Instructor

C2S. Firmest springs and performance cables.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4537.mov (16.12 MB, 58 views)

Last edited by Andy2021; 12-08-2023 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2023 | 09:47 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by atomicUpdate
I went for the 2mm stiffer spring on my Numeric shifter paired with stock shift cables. Some people said it was overly stiff and got softer over time. I found that it was somewhat stiffer to shift, but not even close to being difficult and, over time, it got a bit easier to move the lever but not significantly much. In fact, I'm not even sure if it loosened up over time or if I just got used to the stiffer feel of the shifter so I only think it's easier to shift.

In any event, I would recommend going with the 2mm stiffer spring as I imagine the 1.5mm spring would not feel much different than stock.

I also strongly recommend the SportShifters ****. It is weighted, has excellent fit and finish and comes in nearly endless combinations of leather, alcantara, carbon fiber and metal options, and feels better than the Function First shift **** I had for a while. SportShifer looks and feels way better IMO. The weighting made a noticeable difference in shift quality:

Last edited by AlterZgo; 12-08-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2023 | 01:20 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I went for the 2mm stiffer spring on my Numeric shifter paired with stock shift cables. Some people said it was overly stiff and got softer over time. I found that it was somewhat stiffer to shift, but not even close to being difficult and, over time, it got a bit easier to move the lever but not significantly much. In fact, I'm not even sure if it loosened up over time or if I just got used to the stiffer feel of the shifter so I only think it's easier to shift.

In any event, I would recommend going with the 2mm stiffer spring as I imagine the 1.5mm spring would not feel much different than stock.

I also strongly recommend the SportShifters ****. It is weighted, has excellent fit and finish and comes in nearly endless combinations of leather, alcantara, carbon fiber and metal options, and feels better than the Function First shift **** I had for a while. SportShifer looks and feels way better IMO. The weighting made a noticeable difference in shift quality:
I also have a Numeric short shifter with a Sportshifters ****. I opted for the 2mm spring. Here's my advice based on my experience. If you're sticking with the stock shift ****, then the 2mm spring is fine. If you're going to get the Sportshifters **** which has adjustability which can go much lower, then all of a sudden you lose all your leverage and it becomes almost overly stiff. I lowered my adjustable shift **** pretty low and now it's very stiff. My lady friend can't put the car into reverse with one hand. If you have an adjustable shift **** and you plan on lowering it down all the way, then the 1.5mm spring might be better.
Old 12-09-2023 | 02:24 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I also have a Numeric short shifter with a Sportshifters ****. I opted for the 2mm spring. Here's my advice based on my experience. If you're sticking with the stock shift ****, then the 2mm spring is fine. If you're going to get the Sportshifters **** which has adjustability which can go much lower, then all of a sudden you lose all your leverage and it becomes almost overly stiff. I lowered my adjustable shift **** pretty low and now it's very stiff. My lady friend can't put the car into reverse with one hand. If you have an adjustable shift **** and you plan on lowering it down all the way, then the 1.5mm spring might be better.
Good point. I never really thought about it, but maybe the people who were complaining that the 2mm spring was way too stiff probably had their shifters set to very short so there's no leverage. Mine is set to about medium height and throw (still noticeably shorter throw than stock) and the throws and effort required to shift was fine with the stock shift ****, the Function First **** and now the SportShifter ****.

What weight did you get for your Sportshifters ****? I went with medium weight. I'll bet if you got the heaviest Sportshifters **** it would make your shifts easier even on the lowest setting. I know my medium weight Sportshifter ****, which was noticeably heavier than the Function First one, smoothed out the shifts right away when I switched.
Old 12-09-2023 | 02:37 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Good point. I never really thought about it, but maybe the people who were complaining that the 2mm spring was way too stiff probably had their shifters set to very short so there's no leverage. Mine is set to about medium height and throw (still noticeably shorter throw than stock) and the throws and effort required to shift was fine with the stock shift ****, the Function First **** and now the SportShifter ****.

What weight did you get for your Sportshifters ****? I went with medium weight. I'll bet if you got the heaviest Sportshifters **** it would make your shifts easier even on the lowest setting. I know my medium weight Sportshifter ****, which was noticeably heavier than the Function First one, smoothed out the shifts right away when I switched.
I got the heaviest one they offered. I think it was around 5x the weight of the stock one.
Old 09-21-2024 | 09:57 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input and experience......

If the OEM GTS Short Shifter has the same mechanism below the pivot point as the C2S shift mechanism, and simply lowers the shift **** by 10mm as described in posts above.......

To get the same result as the GTS Short Shift Kit, I think simply replacing the shift **** with a Sport Shifters ****, mounted 10mm lower on the shaft and weighted heavier than stock would do the same as the kit, yet at a much lower cost and effort.

Am I interpreting the feedback/input provided correctly?

Quick Reply: GTS vs. S Manual Gear Shift Mechanism