Sponsored by:

Rear Interior Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 10:17 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 777 Posts
Default Rear Interior Panel Removal

I need to pull the rear interior panels to get access to the fenders. I can’t seem to find any videos or instructions on removing the panels. I managed to get the carpet and rear cover off but can’t seem to figure out the disassembly of the remaining pieces. Does anyone have any videos or insight on how it’s done?
Old 12-02-2023, 10:47 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Actually I just managed to finally get a side popped off. That was not fun.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:09 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

What are we doing to the fenders? Excited.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:11 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shogunade
What are we doing to the fenders? Excited.
Sound deadening to get rid of the resonance and tire noise. All wrapped up and everything is buttoned up. Now all I hear is induction and exhaust and none of the other fatiguing noises. Addressed all the squeaks and rattles while I had it apart as well.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (12-03-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:03 PM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 83 Posts

Did you take pics while doing it?
Old 12-02-2023, 08:27 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

The following 4 users liked this post by dixonk:
DC1960 (12-03-2023), mrcarlo (12-04-2023), snrubel (12-04-2023), tomtomtomtom (12-05-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 08:28 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Biohazard
Did you take pics while doing it?
I wish I took more. See post above for a few pictures I took along the way.
The following users liked this post:
PG5768 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 09:00 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I did this to mine. I started with the rear panel under the rear window and worked my way forward. The panels and the carpeting is/are layered. Working from back to front works fairly well. This all requires removing the rear seats to get to the floor areas under and around the rear seats. Be VERY careful with the rear seat-belt wiring. The Seat Belt Buckle connectors are extremely fragile. Don't ask me how I know this.
Now, I did not remove the lower front quarter panel covers that cover the area under the rear quarter windows. I couldn't determine for sure, where to start with these panels without risking damage to various things that might be extremely difficult to reverse. So I'd be real curious how the OP did this. It does seem to be an effective echo chamber for the rear tires and I'd like to deal with this area.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-02-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:29 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I did this to mine. I started with the rear panel under the rear window and worked my way forward. The panels and the carpeting is/are layered. Working from back to front works fairly well. This all requires removing the rear seats to get to the floor areas under and around the rear seats. Be VERY careful with the rear seat-belt wiring. The Seat Belt Buckle connectors are extremely fragile. Don't ask me how I know this.
Now, I did not remove the lower front quarter panel covers that cover the area under the rear quarter windows. I couldn't determine for sure, where to start with these panels without risking damage to various things that might be extremely difficult to reverse. So I'd be real curious how the OP did this. It does seem to be an effective echo chamber for the rear tires and I'd like to deal with this area.
So after removing the rear ward cover then take off the C pillars. Then remove the B pillars. Then I started pulling up and out from the back and working my way to the front until I had it all released. It took considerable force to dislodge the friction tabs. I had to disconnect 2 speakers and the ambient lighting and the panel just comes off.

The fenders are completely hollow and it is indeed an echo chamber. A few sheets of CLD tiles to stop the resonance and then I put fiber mat lining on top and stuffed the remaining areas with fiber mat wherever I could since it doesn’t weigh hardly anything but does a phenomenal job of reducing noise.

For the doors I did CLD layer on the inner skin and then a layer of guardian foam. On the inside of the door card I did butyl rope in between overlapping plastic and did some more CLD on flat surfaces, then topped it off with fiber mat and reinstalled.

Car is a GT3 so I didn’t have seat belts or rear seats to contend with.
The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
aggie57 (12-03-2023), Bluehighways (12-04-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 10:26 PM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for pics. How much time did that take you?
Old 12-02-2023, 11:06 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Biohazard
Thanks for pics. How much time did that take you?
I probably spent 3-4 hours on the doors (I’ve removed 992 door cards before so there was no surprises to waste time on here). The rear took me a little longer with most of that disassembling and reassembling. I broke it off in 3 days. Knowing what I know now I could probably knock out everything in 8 hours.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:47 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
. . . . . Then remove the B pillars. Then I started pulling up and out from the back and working my way to the front until I had it all released. It took considerable force to dislodge the friction tabs. . . . .
Thanks, I did not remove the B Pillar Covers. Also knowing the direction of effort and that a "considerable force" worked is useful information. That doing so did not damage any of the retaining clips, hooks, pins etc. that Porsche uses and that I could not visually locate is nice to know.
However I did install Kill Mat on the exterior sheet metal in the wheel wells. This definitely helped, but I'd love to get some Acoustic Foam in the interior area of the rear quarter panels.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-04-2023 at 02:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
aggie57 (12-04-2023), dixonk (12-04-2023), snrubel (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 09:30 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Thanks, I did not remove the B Pillar Covers. Also knowing the direction of effort and that a "considerable force" worked is useful information. That doing so did not damage any of the retaining clips, hooks, pins etc. that Porsche uses and that I could not visually locate is nice to know.
However I did install Kill Mat on the exterior sheet metal in the wheel wells. This definitely helped, but I'd love to get some Acoustic Foam in the interior area of the rear quarter panels.

I have enough materials to probably do the rear fenders. I’m not going to make a special occasion of it so will just wait for a tire change.

The B Pillar needs to come out from the bottom and then pull down. It’s held in the top by a tongue. The panel is held on to the top edge of the sheet metal with friction clamps and all the remaining tabs are just hook style that keep it in place if that helps visualize it. Be aware the wires for speakers and ambient light is not very long so don’t pull it far before disconnecting.

Last edited by dixonk; 12-04-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:36 AM
snrubel
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 19 Posts

Folks, these are great threads! Others doing similar or same thing please post pics, how to remove panels, subjective results, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by snrubel:
dixonk (12-05-2023), TexasIowan (12-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear Interior Panel Removal