Sponsored by:

PCM and Carplay issues in 2022 992

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 08:44 PM
thomd
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default PCM and Carplay issues in 2022 992

Anyone else have issues with their PCM dropping Carplay? The PCM will also drop my favorites every so often. I have done troubleshooting with Porsche USA and take it to my dealer. They replaced some control board to the tune of $14k (warranty) and still persists. It is an early 2022, so I had to get the software update to get the colored icons, so it is an early 2022 PCM. Hoping someone else has experienced and solved this issue. About to take my car back to dealer for 2nd time.

updated details:

this occurs after using CarPlay for anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes. CarPlay connected wirelessly. What usually happens is the audio cuts out for a few seconds at a time regardless of the source. Then CarPlay just drops. Sometimes is reconnects. Sometimes it will allow name to reconnect from the devices menu. Sometimes it will not allow reconnection at all.

This all happens while I am connected to my individual user account on the PCM.

The favorites dropping is actually something that just started a few months ago. Just gone. Empty.

Porsche USA took me through all the troubleshooting. Cleared all accounts. Added back. Nothing helped. Their CarPlay experts said it was a hardware issue and to take it in.

Porsche San Antonio believed it to be the central computer because they thought it was being caused by a central computer reboot.

Driving away from the dealer it happened again.

Last edited by thomd; 11-14-2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:54 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

More details pls. When, where, how often, wired, wireless, does it recover or stay dead, etc…
Old 11-14-2023, 09:07 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 315 Posts

I have an early 22 as well but I haven't had any issues with the PCM. CarPlay has been dropped a couple of times but I just reconnect. My Favorites were dropped once early on but I can't remember if it was because I was logged out as the user or not.

I just got upgraded to the the latest software (Color version) and, while I can still see the stars selected when tuned into my favorite stations, I can no longer find the list anywhere. Other than that all works well for me other than the occasional (rare) crash, etc.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:10 PM
thomd
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlegelis
More details pls. When, where, how often, wired, wireless, does it recover or stay dead, etc…
updated above.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:45 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Have you tried a different iPhone? Is all IOS software up to date? What happens when it's wired in?
Old 11-15-2023, 01:58 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

If by dropped you mean CarPlay vanishes from PCM, intermittently? This happens on my 2022 GTS rarely, but does happen. Probably 4 or 5 times since I bought the car in March of this year. Couple times it been audio only, the other times CarPlay won't engage / connect to iPhone, disappears from PCM. Audio happened with iPhone 14. Since upgrading to iPhone 15 I've had complete CarPlay failures. I suspect it something with the new version of CarPlay.

Stopping, turning off car, turning back on usually fixes. I chalk it up to buggy software somewhere in the PCM or CarPlay. Personally don't think it worth the trouble to have dealer disassemble and replace things. Will probably be fixed by a firmware and / or CarPlay update at some point.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:56 PM
thomd
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Have you tried a different iPhone? Is all IOS software up to date? What happens when it's wired in?
Yes, more than one phone. Wireless. Yes, iOS up to date.
Old 11-16-2023, 04:27 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

What about wired?
Old 11-16-2023, 06:39 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by thomd
Their CarPlay experts said it was a hardware issue and to take it in.
Sounds like hardware to me. My MY22 hasn't exhibited this behavior repeatedly. I think I've had a PCM crash/random reboot once early on, but it hasn't happened since. I'm always on wireless Carplay.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:52 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

PCM 6, May 2022 delivery, GTS.
My wireless carplay crashes the whole PCM when I drive past certain locations 100% of the time. One spot is about 3 blocks from my house, which I now avoid. Another spot is on a freeway (interestingly, it crashes the PCM when I'm in the southbound lanes, but only cuts the carplay connection when in the northbound lanes). It's repeatable in that it happens every time I drive by these areas. More recently I've noticed split-second cuts in audio playback not location dependent.

My wife's 2023 Macan has PCM 5 and it also drops the connection (though doesn't crash the PCM) at the same two spots mentioned above.

Have you noticed any patterns when it drops?
Old 11-17-2023, 11:00 AM
Paolo992
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me a couple of times few months ago, but not anymore recently.
Now when Carplay is connected I cannot switch to my radio favorites, as PCM immediately reconnect to Carplay music.
The only way to listen to the radio is to disconnect Carplay.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo992
It happened to me a couple of times few months ago, but not anymore recently.
Now when Carplay is connected I cannot switch to my radio favorites, as PCM immediately reconnect to Carplay music.
The only way to listen to the radio is to disconnect Carplay.
I just use voice control to "tune to 88.5 FM" etc and it works fine / remains in carplay. I have never actually looked at the radio / etc in PCM nor have I set favorites. But a short press of the voice button lets you talk to PCM rather than Siri, which is what's necessary to do this. If subsequently I tell Siri to play something, it switches to the phone audio source.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:45 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 801 Posts

There is one spot on the highway where my wireless CarPlay drops every single time and it happens in the exact same spot regardless if I have Waze or music active or not. I think there is some interference issues in certain places. This happened in Dallas twice now in the same spot as well.

Quick Reply: PCM and Carplay issues in 2022 992