Sponsored by:

Keeping the leather smell as long as possible

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 04:48 PM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Keeping the leather smell as long as possible

Hi, after buying 992 with Truffle Brown interior, the leather smell inside was really intense and I absolutely loved it. After few months, it is not as intense anymore. This is probably caused by the fact that this is a cab, so Im often driving without roof. My question is – can I somehow retain it longer or make it more intense again? Im a total noob in this area, so I would be extremely thankful for hints and info in this regards. I know that we have here someone who specializes in this topic, @drcollie I'm looking at you now . I've read so many posts of yours, but I did not find info in this regards. If I'm mistaken and I overlooked it, I am sorry for that!

Last edited by pman3; 11-14-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:37 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,366 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Unfortunately you won't be able to keep that leather aroma in the car. It is really caused but the out-gassing of the tannin agents in the hides, which subside over time *

Griots make a leather spray scent, I have never tried it = you could give this a shot and report back on how it works?

Amazon Amazon

* Fun fact: Leather aroma will be different based on how fresh the tanning agents are in the tank at a tannery. If it has a buttery, inviting smell than the agents are fresh. If it smells fishy and slightly rancid (think Costco Leather furniture), then they have not changed their tanks as often as needed. It's costly for a tannery to change out the fluids, so better tanneries do it on schedule, the not so good ones push it too long. I see both types come in my store, some of the leathers that come from Chinese tanneries are quite smelly - and not in a good way. The Italian and German hides, as well as those from Slovakia, are wonderful. Every August, tanneries around the world shut down for two weeks and scrub their tanks clean. The leather that comes out with production done in September is always the most aromatic, because everything is clean and fresh..

Last edited by drcollie; 11-14-2023 at 05:43 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by drcollie:
brianja (11-16-2023), Fullyield (11-15-2023), Guzzgreg (12-06-2023), iso87 (11-15-2023), Larson E. Rapp (11-14-2023), PG5768 (11-14-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Unfortunately you won't be able to keep that leather aroma in the car. It is really caused but the out-gassing of the tannin agents in the hides, which subside over time *

Griots make a leather spray scent, I have never tried it = you could give this a shot and report back on how it works?

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

* Fun fact: Leather aroma will be different based on how fresh the tanning agents are in the tank at a tannery. If it has a buttery, inviting smell than the agents are fresh. If it smells fishy and slightly rancid (think Costco Leather furniture), then they have not changed their tanks as often as needed. It's costly for a tannery to change out the fluids, so better tanneries do it on schedule, the not so good ones push it too long. I see both types come in my store, some of the leathers that come from Chinese tanneries are quite smelly - and not in a good way. The Italian and German hides, as well as those from Slovakia, are wonderful. Every August, tanneries around the world shut down for two weeks and scrub their tanks clean. The leather that comes out with production done in September is always the most aromatic, because everything is clean and fresh..
isn't the smell from VOCs which aren't particularly healthy?
Old 11-14-2023, 07:13 PM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

@drcollie thank you so much for the fast, and as always, extremely informative message. Learning something every day! The next time I will get a new 911, I will try to find a production slot after September! This time I picked up the car Sept 1st, so probably that was the worst moment for the smell, but still, it was beautiful and nice. I found the product you linked and I purchased it. As soon as I get it (which might take a little bit long, as the shipping will take over a week and in 4 days Im traveling for a month abroad), I will report back here!

​​​​​Btw, @drcollie, again, this might be covered somewhere else, if so, I apologize for taking your time – would you recommend me to buy some leather-care product and use it periodically in the car? I'm cleaning the car every 1-2 months in a local car-care shop, I trust them a lot, but TBH, I don't know what they use for leather care. If I would have any recommendation from you, I will make sure to use this product instead. Thank you thousand times!
Old 11-14-2023, 07:17 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
isn't the smell from VOCs which aren't particularly healthy?
+1...the leather smell will equalize after some time and pretty much stay that way unless smells such as food, drinks, perfumes, etc. are introduced

Each manufacturer has its own unique leather aroma...there's no universal leather scent as each hide comes from different part of the world and is treated differently in the manufacturing

Your best option is to keep interior clean and periodically clean the leather with a safe and gentle leather cleaner

Hope that helps
Old 11-14-2023, 07:17 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 545 Likes on 398 Posts

I thought the "new car smell" is from the glue/adhesives used in the production process..?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 11-14-2023, 07:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
I thought the "new car smell" is from the glue/adhesives used in the production process..?
Yes, that's the "new car" smell which is off-gasing of the materials as you've suggested

With time, that goes away and the true smell of a Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. will remain...they each have their own unique smell and it lasts years
Old 11-14-2023, 10:37 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

I have found that if you close up the car and don't drive it, leaving it in a climate controlled garage, it keeps the smell in longer.

I do NOT however, endorse this.

(initial sentence was sarcasm for those about to flame me)
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (12-07-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 10:46 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,366 Likes on 1,532 Posts

I use the same products I sell in my store for my Porsche interiors. The Protected kit.

https://keepingroom.com/leather-care

The following 4 users liked this post by drcollie:
BrianFreeman (11-15-2023), detansinn (11-14-2023), pman3 (11-14-2023), Schwarz992C4S (11-16-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 02:54 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,455 Likes on 520 Posts

my L322 2012 Range Rover supercharged still smells like a leather store inside. Climate controlled garage and no smells allowed in the car aka food helps a lot.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:13 AM
CapitanoAR
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Check this

https://amzn.eu/d/15QPFir

or this

https://amzn.eu/d/6YCEBkH
Old 11-15-2023, 07:42 AM
digs
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Chemical guys has a leather sent i use . It works , I like the leather sent vs car fresheners .
The following 2 users liked this post by digs:
Fullyield (11-15-2023), TimD (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:47 AM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

thanks for that fact, mine was built last month.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:26 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm a fan of the scent imparted by Zaino Z10 leather conditioner. It's not quite new-car-smell, but still a nice leather scent.
The following 4 users liked this post by zachr:
Cartod (11-28-2023), Patriot (12-06-2023), RRich (11-16-2023), txpackers (11-16-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 07:28 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by digs
Chemical guys has a leather sent i use . It works , I like the leather sent vs car fresheners .
I like the Chemical Guys Inner Clean Interior Quick Detailer (the yellow one).
I think it leaves a new car smell. Sometimes I clean the car just for the smell.

Quick Reply: Keeping the leather smell as long as possible