Sponsored by:

Advantages

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 06:45 PM
Winnetka
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Advantages

Long story short, I learn that I know of someone who works at a Porsche dealership. OK..., it sounds like it could be worth looking into, I'm in the market for a new 911T manual trans.

I call this guy, he says sure he can help me put an order in for the car, but he said, "It will likely take about 18 months to get the car, this model in particular, tends to take longer, along with the base 911 and 911S". So far as I can tell, the only advantage here is "there's no advantage". If this guy is located 500 miles away, it just means that instead of going through a dealership that's about 30 minutes away, I'd be driving my car home 500 miles. I already expected to wait 18-24 months based on previous homework.

If I call my local dealership, they're just going to do the same thing, if I'm not mistaken (?) get a deposit from me and then put in a request which isn't an actual order; it's just a waiting list if I'm not mistaken to get an allocation?

Last edited by Winnetka; 11-12-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:07 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Winnetka
Long story short, I learn that I know of someone who works at a Porsche dealership. OK..., it sounds like it could be worth looking into, I'm in the market for a new 911T manual trans.

I call this guy, he says sure he can help me put an order in for the car, but he said, "It will likely take about 18 months to get the car, this model in particular, tends to take longer, along with the base 911 and 911S". So far as I can tell, the only advantage here is "there's no advantage". If this guy is located 500 miles away, it just means that instead of going through a dealership that's about 30 minutes away, I'd be driving my car home 500 miles. I already expected to wait 18-24 months based on previous homework.

If I call my local dealership, they're just going to do the same thing, if I'm not mistaken (?) get a deposit from me and then put in a request which isn't an actual order; it's just a waiting list if I'm not mistaken to get an allocation?
@Winnetka My Dealer in the UK has one for sale manual IGM asking £114,995 but where are you I assume the USA so this advice is useless yes?
If not respond?
Old 11-12-2023, 07:08 PM
Winnetka
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Appreciate the heads up, but yes, I'm looking for something local, in Calif.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:25 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 437 Posts

18 months is a long time. Maybe call around and see if you can find an allocation instead of a demand order. The 992.2 should start deliveries here in 12 months or less.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:30 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,950 Likes on 791 Posts

Winnetka - You are assuming a lot of things. Why not just go to the dealers, talk to them and find out exactly what their process is? I'm sure each dealer does things a little differently and the experiences you see in this forum woudl likely differ from the dealers you deal with.

I am in Arizona. When I was buying my 992 S, I had never bought any Porsche before. In fact, I never set foot in a Porsche dealership. So I went and talked to the sales people at two dealerships nearest to me (Porsche Chandler and Porsche North Scottsdale), told them I was interested, gave them a very specific build code and explained I was ready to immediately order/buy the car. Both dealers put me on a wait list with no deposit and told me they would call when an allocation became available. Then a month later, both dealers called me the same day to say an allocation came up. At that time, I paid my $5K deposit to Porsche Chandler as they called me first and I received an actual allocation and my car was built and delivered 4 months later after I paid the $5K deposit. I waited only 1 month to get my allocation. I was placed on the list for both Porsche dealers in the beginning of March and was told there were 6 people ahead of me and it may take until end of year to get my car. I got my allocation in April and car delivered early August.

So go speak with the dealers and be prepared with a build code so they know you are serious and not just kicking tires. Ask the dealers you speak with exactly what they require of you. If they need a deposit, confirm it's refundable if they don't get you an allocation within a reaonable time frame. Confirm whether they will sell you the car at MSRP or if there's any ADM or any discounts. Get it all in writing when you get an actual allocation and place your deposit.

Enjoy the process. Test drive some cars if any are available. Check out the various color combinations and decide on things like what stereo you want and do you want 14 or 18 ways or if sport plus seats fit you well. These are all thing done better in person at the dealership. Invest some time in the process as you are going to spend about $140K+ to get into a T.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Charles Everson (11-13-2023), SamD (11-14-2023), TheGeneral (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 08:09 PM
Merlin_AZ
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AlterZgo, you’re lucky.
I went to Porsche North Scottsdale 2-3 months ago when I was ready and they told me their list was full a year out and they would only let new orders in as long as you had a 911 to trade in, which I didn’t.
I was able to find a used 2022 CPO out of state specced with what I wanted and I’m very happy with it.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:12 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,950 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ
AlterZgo, you’re lucky.
I went to Porsche North Scottsdale 2-3 months ago when I was ready and they told me their list was full a year out and they would only let new orders in as long as you had a 911 to trade in, which I didn’t.
I was able to find a used 2022 CPO out of state specced with what I wanted and I’m very happy with it.
Yeah. I'm glad I went with Porsche Chandler. They are vastly more chill and not nearly as crowded and zoo'd out as North Scottsdale. i referred my friend to Porsche Chandler and he was able to get an allocation for a 992 S Cab at MSRP and got his car in about 7 months from ordering. First Porsche ever for him as well.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:42 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,346 Likes on 500 Posts

I am also buying my car from Chandler. My first new Porsche.

$5k deposit when received allocation. No ADM. The entire process has been really smooth so far.

I first asked to be out on a list at the start of this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fishah:
AlterZgo (11-12-2023), Charles Everson (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:25 AM
Charles Everson
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah
I am also buying my car from Chandler. My first new Porsche.

$5k deposit when received allocation. No ADM. The entire process has been really smooth so far.

I first asked to be out on a list at the start of this year.
This is good to know! I will seek them out first if I get a new 911. There are some great roads a little ways up north by Tortilla Flat and northeast of Carefree. Not very many people out there either.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Winnetka
Rennlist Member

I've reached out to a handful of dealers now in California. I see what people mean now by reaching out, making calls, and building up some repore. It's definitely not like other cars where you just go online, build it, and order it. So far I've got three dealers I'm working with, and I'm hoping someone will emerge soon as the one that's going to work with me and make things happen. There's evidently a waiting process to get an allocation, once you receive the allocation as I've heard others mention, you can place an order and put down a deposit which I've heard differs between $5k and $10K, and then you wait a few months for you car.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:58 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,075 Posts

There's evidently a waiting process to get an allocation, once you receive the allocation as I've heard others mention, you can place an order and put down a deposit which I've heard differs between $5k and $10K, and then you wait a few months for you car.
Your chronology is correct. Your wait time to get an allocation will vary depending on a few factors:
1. Luck
2. Will you pay an ADM. If not see 3.
3. Good old call calling. ABC.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:54 PM
Winnetka
Rennlist Member

One dealership said no ADM.
I said, Me: What's the catch?
Salesperson: No catch
Me: Can I get that in writing?
Blah blah blah, and it goes back and forth. I had to spend a minimum on the car in order to get on a list to get an allocation.

I got lucky (a completely different dealer said) and this guy said he has an allocation coming, if I want it, the ADM is $20K on a 911T. I said, that's too high, can we come down?
Right now, we're at $14K ADM, but I want the car; I should be able to get it by March/April of 2024, so I'm going to give them an answer by Sunday which is going to be, I need to go lower but truth be told, I think it will be a bit of a challenge to get a Man. 911T, and I'll end up waiting for another 6months plus. Too some people $14K isn't much, but to me, it's cold hard cash, no matter how you look at it.

I should have a verdict soon. Some dealers are great, some though, their sales staff are deceptive.

Happy Turkey Day, All!

Last edited by Winnetka; 11-23-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:30 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

After reading these forums, I came an early conclusion that any new 911 that I wanted to spec would be at least a year or two away from delivery. Not sure if being a repeat customer had anything to do with it, but 2 weeks ago I contacted my guy who I bought my Taycan from inquiring about how long wait lists were for any rear drive 911 model that I could spec as a manual. He immediately offered me a Carrera T allocation for an early March build. So I pressed my luck further by asking “what about a GT3 Touring allocation?” and he replied “you’ll have to get in line for the next generation”. LOL. So I took the T allocation. Beggars can’t be choosers
Old 11-24-2023, 03:54 AM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

One dealership said no ADM.
I said, Me: What's the catch?
Salesperson: No catch
Me: Can I get that in writing?
Blah blah blah, and it goes back and forth. I had to spend a minimum on the car in order to get on a list to get an allocation.

I got lucky (a completely different dealer said) and this guy said he has an allocation coming, if I want it, the ADM is $20K on a 911T. I said, that's too high, can we come down?
Right now, we're at $14K ADM, but I want the car; I should be able to get it by March/April of 2024, so I'm going to give them an answer by Sunday which is going to be, I need to go lower but truth be told, I think it will be a bit of a challenge to get a Man. 911T, and I'll end up waiting for another 6months plus. Too some people $14K isn't much, but to me, it's cold hard cash, no matter how you look at it.

I should have a verdict soon. Some dealers are great, some though, their sales staff are deceptive.

Happy Turkey Day, All!
T allocations are readily available at several dealerships throughout SoCal with similar delivery dates. I'm sure you can score a better deal than a $14k ADM. Maybe $7,500 - $10k...
Old 11-24-2023, 08:14 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 300 Likes on 133 Posts

If they’re letting you wait until Sunday to give an answer, then they don’t have anyone else willing to pay $14k ADM. That’s too much for a T. They will keep trying to get the most from you, or anyone else they’re talking with.

Quick Reply: Advantages