Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pigtail for Lithium LiFePO4 Trickle Charger 992 General

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023 | 08:04 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Default Pigtail for Lithium LiFePO4 Trickle Charger 992 General

Ok, I know there is a thread on this for the GT3 forum, but I couldn’t find anything for 992’s in general, and I wanted to see if I could get a wider base of answers on this. I also wanted to see if I could make this a bit more concise in terms of consolidating the info on the topic. If there’s a thread on the 992 forum I missed please direct.

Unlike every other 911 I’ve owned, my new 992 GTS has a LiPo battery (I have RAS but I’m not sure that’s the only factor in getting a LiPo vs. an AGM battery). And the Porsche charger does not seem to work through the passenger footwell 12V outlet (I’ve tried every combination of ways to start the process outlined in the GT3 forum). So I got the CTEK Lithium charger which came with alligator clips and alternatively the eyelet connectors that can be screwed in permanently. Each of the options has a female connector which connects to the CTEK charger itself. (This was $119 on Amazon, a pretty good deal).

CTEK 56-926 LITHIUM US | Fully Automatic Lithium Ion Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery Charger | 5.0Ah - 60Ah | Maintenance Charging up to 120Ah

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUF6UM8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ok. So I have three questions.

First, I know where to connect the red wired eyelet (directly to the battery post). But Porsche recommends that the black wired eyelet not be connected to the battery post but to a grounding post. Can someone show me a photo of where they did this connection?

Second, I’ve seen that some people have left the pigtail connector in the cowling outside of the trunk panel (close to the windshield). This makes it easy to connect at home without having to open the frunk cover so is my preferred option. Has this ever caused issues with water, rattling or anything else? Are there other good options?

Third, how do you secure the pigtail connector in the cowling area? The GT3 forum mentions zip ties but I didn’t see where they should go. Can someone send a photo of this?

Thanks SO much in advance. The last thing I want is a dead LiPo battery!
Old 09-24-2023 | 10:22 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Ok, I know there is a thread on this for the GT3 forum, but I couldn’t find anything for 992’s in general, and I wanted to see if I could get a wider base of answers on this. I also wanted to see if I could make this a bit more concise in terms of consolidating the info on the topic. If there’s a thread on the 992 forum I missed please direct.

Unlike every other 911 I’ve owned, my new 992 GTS has a LiPo battery (I have RAS but I’m not sure that’s the only factor in getting a LiPo vs. an AGM battery). And the Porsche charger does not seem to work through the passenger footwell 12V outlet (I’ve tried every combination of ways to start the process outlined in the GT3 forum). So I got the CTEK Lithium charger which came with alligator clips and alternatively the eyelet connectors that can be screwed in permanently. Each of the options has a female connector which connects to the CTEK charger itself. (This was $119 on Amazon, a pretty good deal).

CTEK 56-926 LITHIUM US | Fully Automatic Lithium Ion Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery Charger | 5.0Ah - 60Ah | Maintenance Charging up to 120Ah

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUF6UM8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ok. So I have three questions.

First, I know where to connect the red wired eyelet (directly to the battery post). But Porsche recommends that the black wired eyelet not be connected to the battery post but to a grounding post. Can someone show me a photo of where they did this connection?

Second, I’ve seen that some people have left the pigtail connector in the cowling outside of the trunk panel (close to the windshield). This makes it easy to connect at home without having to open the frunk cover so is my preferred option. Has this ever caused issues with water, rattling or anything else? Are there other good options?

Third, how do you secure the pigtail connector in the cowling area? The GT3 forum mentions zip ties but I didn’t see where they should go. Can someone send a photo of this?

Thanks SO much in advance. The last thing I want is a dead LiPo battery!
There’s a threaded hole in the black cross member. The hole is below the brake master cylinder. I used that. I did the same thing on my Spyder and a friend’s car. I bought a long pigtail. You can buy them in any length and mount it anywhere you want. On my Spyder, I have it next to the hood strut. On my GTS, I have it in the middle because those locations are convenient for my ceiling-mounted power outlet.

The extra threaded post on the positive terminal is 6mm x 1.00. The threaded hole on the cross member, just below the brake master cylinder, is 8mm x 1.25. Any hardware store will sell them.

Here are photos of how it’s connected in the 992 and when both cars are plugged in.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 09-24-2023 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 11:38 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
There’s a threaded hole in the black cross member. The hole is below the brake master cylinder. I used that. I did the same thing on my Spyder and a friend’s car. I bought a long pigtail. You can buy them in any length and mount it anywhere you want. On my Spyder, I have it next to the hood strut. On my GTS, I have it in the middle because those locations are convenient for my ceiling-mounted power outlet.

The extra threaded post on the positive terminal is 6mm x 1.00. The threaded hole on the cross member, just below the brake master cylinder, is 8mm x 1.25. Any hardware store will sell them.

Here are photos of how it’s connected in the 992 and when both cars are plugged in.
Thanks for that - does the end of your pigtail (where you attach the charger cable) stay under the hood (so you have to open it to charge)? Or do you have it outside the hood on the cowling (which is what some of the GT3 posts show)?
Old 09-24-2023 | 11:40 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Thanks for that - does the end of your pigtail (where you attach the charger cable) stay under the hood (so you have to open it to charge)? Or do you have it outside the hood on the cowling (which is what some of the GT3 posts show)?
I also found this in the 992 manual for where to attach the negative (black) eyelet, so I think that’s what I will do.

Scott P (09-25-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 12:12 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Hang it outside? Why would you do that? That'll like asking if you put your ***** away after using the bathroom.😳 Is opening the hood, plugging it in, and closing the hood considered too much effort? I wouldn’t want the pigtail (or my *****) visible and dangling on the outside. 😊

I also found this in the 992 manual for where to attach the negative (black) eyelet, so I think that’s what I will do.

How are you going to attach it to that post? With a hose clamp? You could I guess, but why? You can attach the negative to any solid metal part, but the way I hooked it up, doesn’t require removing or modifying anything. You just add one nut to the positive post (don’t need to remove anything) and add one bolt to the empty already-threaded hole of the cross brace. As easy as can be and clean.

But yeah, I guess there are other options.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 09-24-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Icegrill (10-08-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 12:39 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Hang it outside? Why would you do that? That'll like asking if you put your ***** away after using the bathroom.😳 Is opening the hood, plugging it in, and closing the hood considered too much effort? I wouldn’t want the pigtail (or my *****) visible and dangling on the outside. 😊

How are you going to attach it to that post? With a hose clamp? You could I guess, but why? You can attach the negative to any solid metal part, but the way I hooked it up, doesn’t require removing or modifying anything. You just add one nut to the positive post (don’t need to remove anything) and add one bolt to the empty already-threaded hole of the cross brace. As easy as can be and clean.

But yeah, I guess there are other options.
Ha! Thanks for the advice (and the sarcasm). Much appreciated!
Old 09-24-2023 | 12:55 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

You poke it out on the right hand side, so that the connector is under the rear edge of the hood and not visible, It’s got a weatherproof cap which is all you need to protect it. No need to have to open and close the hood each time (and no, it’s not hard to do that but why do it if it’s not necessary?).
The following 3 users liked this post by aggie57:
Guzzgreg (10-11-2023), Rgwirtz (09-24-2023), Scott P (10-11-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 01:48 PM
DC1960
Intermediate

Exactly as the previous post (mine is just under the front part of the drivers side of the frunk. It causes no issues in rain or driving in the dry at 150mph (I live in Germany).

Last edited by DC1960; 09-24-2023 at 01:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DC1960:
Guzzgreg (10-11-2023), Rgwirtz (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 05:10 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Did the same thing on mine

BaxterPup (09-26-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 05:39 PM
KLOC
Advanced

I ordered one of the long CTeck comfort connections, cut the connector off and soldered on a spade connector (automotive grade).
Drilled and threaded the grounding post, put in a stud and used a castle nut to finish it off.

Took a few minutes once the bits arrived.
Old 09-24-2023 | 05:58 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLOC
I ordered one of the long CTeck comfort connections, cut the connector off and soldered on a spade connector (automotive grade).
Drilled and threaded the grounding post, put in a stud and used a castle nut to finish it off.

Took a few minutes once the bits arrived.
Would love to see this if you wouldn’t mind!
Old 09-25-2023 | 07:16 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Use google not the search on rennlist.

ctek 992 pigtail rennlist.com

leads you here
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1340...ispreloading=1

which is the thread you are looking for.
aggie57 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023 | 10:03 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Originally Posted by doug_999
Use google not the search on rennlist.

ctek 992 pigtail rennlist.com

leads you here
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1340...ispreloading=1

which is the thread you are looking for.
Thanks! For some reason this didn’t come up when I searched Google, so i “SEO’d”* the title of my thread when I started it.
*Search Engine Optimization
Old 09-25-2023 | 10:10 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Thanks! For some reason this didn’t come up when I searched Google, so i “SEO’d”* the title of my thread when I started it.
*Search Engine Optimization
yea, I think adding rennlist.com in there helps. Either way, you will love that thread -especially the last 4 or so pages.

Old 10-07-2023 | 05:45 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Ok, so I’m having an issue with the CTEK using the pigtail. Charger goes to 4 bars and then shows an error (pictured). I tried swapping the pigtail but that didn’t work. Car and battery are brand new and shows 13.4v when I’m driving. Could it be a bad CTEK? I connected the pigtail properly (red to the battery pole, and black to a grounded bolt - per prior discussion).

Quick Reply: Pigtail for Lithium LiFePO4 Trickle Charger 992 General