Sponsored by:

Pigtail for Lithium LiFePO4 Trickle Charger 992 General

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 08:39 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Ok, so I’m having an issue with the CTEK using the pigtail. Charger goes to 4 bars and then shows an error (pictured). I tried swapping the pigtail but that didn’t work. Car and battery are brand new and shows 13.4v when I’m driving. Could it be a bad CTEK? I connected the pigtail properly (red to the battery pole, and black to a grounded bolt - per prior discussion).

Get in touch with CTEK, they'll make it right. Could be as simple as your doing everything right, but the charger is bad.
The following users liked this post:
Rgwirtz (10-08-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 11:20 AM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

ctek 992 pigtail site:rennlist.com

make sure you're using Google, not Bing

Last edited by InfiniteSmiles; 10-11-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Rgwirtz (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 07:56 PM
Porsche 505
Advanced

Received 119 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Ok, I know there is a thread on this for the GT3 forum, but I couldn’t find anything for 992’s in general, and I wanted to see if I could get a wider base of answers on this. I also wanted to see if I could make this a bit more concise in terms of consolidating the info on the topic. If there’s a thread on the 992 forum I missed please direct.

Unlike every other 911 I’ve owned, my new 992 GTS has a LiPo battery (I have RAS but I’m not sure that’s the only factor in getting a LiPo vs. an AGM battery). And the Porsche charger does not seem to work through the passenger footwell 12V outlet (I’ve tried every combination of ways to start the process outlined in the GT3 forum). So I got the CTEK Lithium charger which came with alligator clips and alternatively the eyelet connectors that can be screwed in permanently. Each of the options has a female connector which connects to the CTEK charger itself. (This was $119 on Amazon, a pretty good deal).

CTEK 56-926 LITHIUM US | Fully Automatic Lithium Ion Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery Charger | 5.0Ah - 60Ah | Maintenance Charging up to 120Ah

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUF6UM8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ok. So I have three questions.

First, I know where to connect the red wired eyelet (directly to the battery post). But Porsche recommends that the black wired eyelet not be connected to the battery post but to a grounding post. Can someone show me a photo of where they did this connection?

Second, I’ve seen that some people have left the pigtail connector in the cowling outside of the trunk panel (close to the windshield). This makes it easy to connect at home without having to open the frunk cover so is my preferred option. Has this ever caused issues with water, rattling or anything else? Are there other good options?

Third, how do you secure the pigtail connector in the cowling area? The GT3 forum mentions zip ties but I didn’t see where they should go. Can someone send a photo of this?

Thanks SO much in advance. The last thing I want is a dead LiPo battery!

This is how I wired mine. I bought one connector, one extension and that was it. I cut the eyelets off and replaced them with ones that were the proper size for each terminal. For the ground, I wire, brushed off a bit of the paint on the ground stud and threaded another nut to secure it. I can always use touch up paint if I need to permanently remove the nut. I connected the positive to the battery terminal. Then I cut off of an end of the extension. The end with the plug is right next to the battery so if it ever needs to be removed or is in the way, it can simply be unplugged. Then I ran the cut end of the extension wire into the trunk storage area. I cut it to the length that worked for me and replaced the end.

If you store your car in an enclosed garage, in my opinion is the easiest way to go.

You do have to leave the bonnet open so if you park outside, it’s not recommended.

Old 10-11-2023, 08:41 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

You can attach the pigtail directly to the positive & negative battery terminals. There’s zero reason to run the negative terminal to the ground post - the Porsche instructions are only to prevent a spark when you are actively attaching / detaching a jumper cable, but in the case of a pigtail it’s permanently attached so zero concern. No need to over engineer it.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:24 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 997 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
You can attach the pigtail directly to the positive & negative battery terminals. There’s zero reason to run the negative terminal to the ground post - the Porsche instructions are only to prevent a spark when you are actively attaching / detaching a jumper cable, but in the case of a pigtail it’s permanently attached so zero concern. No need to over engineer it.
negative nut is captured. These terminals are somewhat fragile in their threading.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:02 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
negative nut is captured. These terminals are somewhat fragile in their threading.
On my car with the Li battery attaching the pigtail was a two minute operation. Again zero reason to over engineer. Here’s my setup:

SBAD (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 11:32 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
On my car with the Li battery attaching the pigtail was a two minute operation. Again zero reason to over engineer. Here’s my setup:

Did the same, works like a charm. Going on 2 years now.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:46 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 345 Likes on 205 Posts

1. I tried the "official" ground but the distance between that and the positive post was excessive. I found a chassis ground near the passenger side. There are several pics on the board in different threads.

2. The CTEK has a rubber plug which covers the leads snugly.

3. I used a bit of velcro less than an inch square to secure the plug in place just under the frunk lip, passenger side (closest to my garage power plug and maintainer location, your situation may differ). Secure, no rattles, easy to access.

Quick Reply: Pigtail for Lithium LiFePO4 Trickle Charger 992 General