Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Package PLUS Demystified | Why The 992 Base Stereo Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 03:32 PM
stonekutter
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 54 Posts

I listened to the Burmester in another 911 at the dealer, liked it, and got it.

I didn't want to deal with opening up the car and tinkering with aftermarket add ons. At the end of the day, for me the amount of time spent searching forums, opening up the car, stressing over the connectors, spending on aftermarket speakers, etc. is as good as spending $ for a Burmester. YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by stonekutter:
Ikone (12-03-2023), Staffie Guy (12-26-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 04:06 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 356 Posts

Bueller?

Bueller?
The following users liked this post:
merrion13 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 04:55 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by stonekutter
I listened to the Burmester in another 911 at the dealer, liked it, and got it.

I didn't want to deal with opening up the car and tinkering with aftermarket add ons. At the end of the day, for me the amount of time spent searching forums, opening up the car, stressing over the connectors, spending on aftermarket speakers, etc. is as good as spending $ for a Burmester. YMMV.
For better or worse, some of us like doing that stuff.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:57 AM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Any progress on the project? I for one am still patiently waiting to be added to the group buy list.
merrion13 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 11:16 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Very interesting analysis but I think Nick did all of his testing with the car in his shop, not out on the road. That is where all of this comes apart. A 911 on a normal road at 60 mph has a background noise level at 80 db from engine, wind and tire roar. It’s a sports car, not a Bentley. So you can put a custom system in your 911, but what will you really hear until you crank it to 85db? Not much, and then playing music at that level while taking a long drive just punishes your ears. I think it’s best to put audiophile sound in a quiet automobile, not a noisy sports car, especially not a T model which has sound deadening material removed for a more “raw” experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
AlfaM5 (12-26-2023), gellie (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 11:58 AM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

While it’s true that the engine is probably the best part of the sound system I still want to have a decent sounding audio system when I’m not at highway speeds or sitting in traffic. The Bose system in my 997 is much better than the base system in my 992, and I know Bose isn’t even near audiophile levels of quality. Instead of offering three sound system options Porsche could have selected one decent option and called it a day. The base system seriously lacking.

Last edited by Edcantera; 12-26-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:03 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Very interesting analysis but I think Nick did all of his testing with the car in his shop, not out on the road. That is where all of this comes apart. A 911 on a normal road at 60 mph has a background noise level at 80 db from engine, wind and tire roar. It’s a sports car, not a Bentley. So you can put a custom system in your 911, but what will you really hear until you crank it to 85db? Not much, and then playing music at that level while taking a long drive just punishes your ears. I think it’s best to put audiophile sound in a quiet automobile, not a noisy sports car, especially not a T model which has sound deadening material removed for a more “raw” experience.
Why are you here? Serious question. You don't have any intention of upgrading your stereo system so you're here trashing this thread. The reality is a good car audio system can be enjoyed in any type of car, even loud ones with aftermarket exhaust systems. Also, FWIW, I think my 992 S had the weakest and quietest exhaust of any performance car so I can easily enjoy the upgraded sound system in the car on the road. Does it sound as good as when the car is stationary? Of course not. Is it still worthwhile to upgrade? For car audio enthusiasts, yes it is. As for the T having less sound deadening, I have since upgraded my car with an M Engineering tune which forces the exhaust valves fully open so the car is noticeably louder and yet, I still enjoy my Musicar system every time I drive the car. It is noticeably better than the stock Bose system.

You don't think it's worth the effort and that's fine, but why come here and tell people this psuedo science theoretical nonsense when you have not actually experienced listening to a Musicar upgraded system in a Carrera T while driving?
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Jeff Whitten (12-26-2023), Scott P (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 12:29 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Why are you here? Serious question. You don't have any intention of upgrading your stereo system so you're here trashing this thread. The reality is a good car audio system can be enjoyed in any type of car, even loud ones with aftermarket exhaust systems. Also, FWIW, I think my 992 S had the weakest and quietest exhaust of any performance car so I can easily enjoy the upgraded sound system in the car on the road. Does it sound as good as when the car is stationary? Of course not. Is it still worthwhile to upgrade? For car audio enthusiasts, yes it is. As for the T having less sound deadening, I have since upgraded my car with an M Engineering tune which forces the exhaust valves fully open so the car is noticeably louder and yet, I still enjoy my Musicar system every time I drive the car. It is noticeably better than the stock Bose system.

You don't think it's worth the effort and that's fine, but why come here and tell people this psuedo science theoretical nonsense when you have not actually experienced listening to a Musicar upgraded system in a Carrera T while driving?
Did I hit a nerve? I'm here to comment and share information like the rest of the Rennlist forum members. No reason to attack me if you are a fanboy.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:14 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 340 Posts

Seems like there always a few posters in every thread that don’t have any personal experience with the mods and don’t seem to see the value. Nothing wrong with that and sharing you are certainly entitled too. Stereos, tunes, exhaust, wheels doesn’t seem to be any topic that is immune. For those of us that do enjoy mods, and have experience with doing on many cars, we are enjoying the posts and info shared. There are many posts that I don’t have experience in, or fall into the “not for me” category. I read and move on. No need for me to comment.

I have upgraded my stereo in every car I have owned in the last 30 years. This info has highly informative and helped me make some choices in my upgrades with my local shop. I have done mild to wild in many cars. Some of the mild installs were marginally better, but not a big leap. Others that were at the higher end produced significant improvements. As others have mentioned in this thread, Bose is good for most and you may not see the value in taking it any further.

For my upgrades I have a combination of Focal and Mosconi upgrades. It is significantly better than my stock Bose stereo across the board. I drive my convertible in various conditions, from commute traffic 1-2 hours a day, to spirited driving in the hills. Top down challenging to get great sound, but with more power, good DSP and tune, and great speakers, way better. And for those times when I’m just enjoying the sound of the engine, it’s off.

Enioy your upgrades and info shared. If it’s not for you….

Old 12-26-2023, 07:34 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 198 Posts

If you have to play your stereo loudly to hear it, then you want it to sound good when it's loud. Distortion is what hurts your ears, and a better stereo will distort less when played loudly.
Jeff Whitten (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:25 PM
Prototyp1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

Apologie in advance just being nice. I see where you're coming from but I also can see kayjh's point. I frankly don't see his post trashing the thread. After all it's a discussion forum. We all share different opinions and we also have different standards and views. I take what I see valuable and care about. I for one think the base audio is OK for my need. I only really learned it sucks from here. Yeah I can hear the difference but I don't care about it.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:35 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Prototyp1
Apologie in advance just being nice. I see where you're coming from but I also can see kayjh's point. I frankly don't see his post trashing the thread. After all it's a discussion forum. We all share different opinions and we also have different standards and views. I take what I see valuable and care about. I for one think the base audio is OK for my need. I only really learned it sucks from here. Yeah I can hear the difference but I don't care about it.
So are you trashing the thread or expressing an opinion (like I was)? And for those posting that it isn’t the volume that damages the ears, but rather the quality of the sound - wrong. Sustained high volumes over 85db is proven to damage hearing, For the the 30 year olds here, you don’t know (yet) what I’m talking about. For the 55+ crowd, many of you do. But, to each his own.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:48 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 198 Posts

The "hurt" I was talking about isn't the long term hearing loss type of damage. I meant the negative effects you experience while you are listening.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:24 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
So are you trashing the thread or expressing an opinion (like I was)? And for those posting that it isn’t the volume that damages the ears, but rather the quality of the sound - wrong. Sustained high volumes over 85db is proven to damage hearing, For the the 30 year olds here, you don’t know (yet) what I’m talking about. For the 55+ crowd, many of you do. But, to each his own.
The problem is that you end up turning it even louder with a bad system because you can't make anything out and all you do is increase the volume of the distortion as well as increasing the distortion itself. Good audio systems can be listened to at lower levels 'comfortably' without any distortion and allow the ear (brain) to make everything out easily. Driving a 911 doesn't mean you're constantly red-lining.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:17 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ikone
The problem is that you end up turning it even louder with a bad system because you can't make anything out and all you do is increase the volume of the distortion as well as increasing the distortion itself. Good audio systems can be listened to at lower levels 'comfortably' without any distortion and allow the ear (brain) to make everything out easily. Driving a 911 doesn't mean you're constantly red-lining.
If the car driving down the highway is producing 85 db of noise, no matter how good the sound system is, you can’t hear it until it is what, 87-89 db? No thanks. But other people like really loud sound systems, and don’t care too much about long term effects on hearing so good information in this thread for those people.

Quick Reply: Sound Package PLUS Demystified | Why The 992 Base Stereo Sucks