Sponsored by:

992 C2S Winter driving in Colorado Foothills

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 02:49 PM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 992 C2S Winter driving in Colorado Foothills

After 9 years of Cayenne S, I've got a 2020 992 C2S coming in a couple of weeks, replacing an SL that never ventured out on snow.

Having done my research, it seems the 2WD recent 911's are usable on snow on real winter tires (ice & snow rated), but most of the posts I've seen are from relatively flat terrain.

We're at 7000 ft, with the flat lands 1600 ft below and I've no intention of venturing off asphalt or driving on other than plowed / treated roads or on light falls less than a couple of inches, which don't tend to get plowed up here.

Because of winter temperatures, unless I want to park it from November to May, I need to buy winter tires anyway, and buying a wheel / tire set seems to make sense.

Anyone here have experience in this sort of environment anywhere and if possible in the Colorado Foothills, as you'll be familiar with the hugely varying conditions we get here in a typical winter?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2023, 03:23 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

I drive year-round in Denver. Anything less than 3" of snow and I'll take the 911. It's not the same undulating terrain as our foothills, but there are a few inclines/declines where I tend to get stuck in traffic and the car handles them perfectly. I've also driven Denver to Vail/Aspen plenty of times in the winter without issue, though I wouldn't attempt it if a fresh storm is rolling through. I use Pilot Alpin PA4s and they are maybe 8/10 or 9/10... only complaint is with wetter snow/slush.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:17 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

Only concern I would have is how much "particulate matter" do they put on your roads in the winter. Sports cars with sexy wide bodies tend to get sandblasted in the winter where I live (Iowa / midwest) so my 911 takes a long nap from November to April annually. A lot of salt is thrown here also - I don't want that on the undercarriage at all. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by mksz51:
Icegrill (09-15-2023), Tedster (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:36 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 315 Posts

i'm in the foothills at 8,000' with a C4S. getting my winter set swapped on soon.

it can be rain in town and 3" of snow at my house. does fine even on the 12% or so driveway grade.

not much power goes to the front unless i really get on it. if you know how to drive RWD in snow you should be fine.

my biggest concern is stopping going downhill and other drivers. so i take it easy.
The following users liked this post:
dave_n_s (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 05:41 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mksz51
Only concern I would have is how much "particulate matter" do they put on your roads in the winter. Sports cars with sexy wide bodies tend to get sandblasted in the winter where I live (Iowa / midwest) so my 911 takes a long nap from November to April annually. A lot of salt is thrown here also - I don't want that on the undercarriage at all. Good luck.
Good thinking. Where I'm at they use magnesium chloride for the most part, at least on the main arteries. I have seen limited sand/rock used for steep hills.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:24 AM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
i'm in the foothills at 8,000' with a C4S. getting my winter set swapped on soon.

it can be rain in town and 3" of snow at my house. does fine even on the 12% or so driveway grade.

not much power goes to the front unless i really get on it. if you know how to drive RWD in snow you should be fine.

my biggest concern is stopping going downhill and other drivers. so i take it easy.
Thank you. A current limiting factor is can I get up my driveway after I've plowed it - there are conditions even a properly shod Cayenne can't get up. We follow the "no heroics" principle with the AWD winter cars - if in doubt stay home as those conditions rarely last more than a day or so here.

As to downhill, assuming no brake effectiveness until at walking pace seems to keep us out of trouble, but there's obviously a limiting case.

A question: how do you drive RWD / rear engine in snow? I've only ever driven AWD on the white stuff.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:54 AM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

There’s no easy way to explain it. Mostly the same as driving any other car in the snow, easy pedal application keeps you out of trouble. 911s are also different than most RWD cars due to location of the weight. In a weird way, even a RWD Carrera behaves kind of like a FWD car because it’s pulling (vs. pushing) a lot of the cars weight.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:53 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dave_n_s
Thank you. A current limiting factor is can I get up my driveway after I've plowed it - there are conditions even a properly shod Cayenne can't get up. We follow the "no heroics" principle with the AWD winter cars - if in doubt stay home as those conditions rarely last more than a day or so here.

As to downhill, assuming no brake effectiveness until at walking pace seems to keep us out of trouble, but there's obviously a limiting case.

A question: how do you drive RWD / rear engine in snow? I've only ever driven AWD on the white stuff.
in town i'll go for snowy drives for fun, at night. in the foothills i take the same wait it out approach and keep track of snowfall if in town. sometimes you just get caught out.

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
There’s no easy way to explain it. Mostly the same as driving any other car in the snow, easy pedal application keeps you out of trouble. 911s are also different than most RWD cars due to location of the weight. In a weird way, even a RWD Carrera behaves kind of like a FWD car because it’s pulling (vs. pushing) a lot of the cars weight.
no sudden moves, keep your momentum going up hill. leave plenty of braking distance. be prepared to take off traction control. i've had traction control take me to a stop in the snow. turn into slides.

best thing is to find a snowy parking lot and hoon around for a while.
dave_n_s (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:52 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm based in Denver and have a property out in the Vail area. While I've not yet driven my 992 through a winter, I have spent 6 winters driving my 997 somewhat regularly - including over Loveland and Vail passes in light snow.

Someone said that a 911, with its rear engine and RWD, is a bit like a FWD car in the winter. I think that is true. With proper tires, a RWD 911 is amongst the best RWD cars out there from a traction perspective. Similar to a front engine, FWD car in terms of ability not to get stuck. Handling characteristics though are different vs a FWD car with similar levels of traction. Basically, all of the rules of driving a 911 on the track at track speeds apply to driving a 911 at road speeds in light snow. Slow in, fast out (or just slow in, and slow out) around corners, and DON'T LIFT off of the throttle mid-corner or you may induce oversteer.

The "no heroes" principle stated above is a good one. If in doubt, don't go out. Traction may not be a huge limiter with a 911, but ground clearance is. I always have an SUV with winter tires in the garage for real snow.
The following 2 users liked this post by cgaites:
dave_n_s (09-14-2023), merrion13 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:08 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

I had a 997 C4S Cab and now have a 992 C2S Coupe, both I equipped with excellent winter tires, and both I have driven year round in Denver. However, I have not driven them much up into further elevation in wintry conditions, however, in my experience here in Denver, the RWD C2S is quite capable when equipped with the correct tires.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:38 AM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Thanks all!

Clear message: with the right tires it's OK to drive in the snow in typical Foothills terrain, noting the low clearance.

First move after closing the deal (next weekend) will be to order those winter winter wheels and tires, probably 19's based on what I'm learning.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:36 AM
Ørjan
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

There are plenty of RWD 911s in Europe beeing used all year - but good wintertires are a necessity.

And the 992s are extensively tested in all kinds of conditions before they are out on the market.

Last edited by Ørjan; 09-15-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:43 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_n_s
Thanks all!

Clear message: with the right tires it's OK to drive in the snow in typical Foothills terrain, noting the low clearance.

First move after closing the deal (next weekend) will be to order those winter winter wheels and tires, probably 19's based on what I'm learning.
Get a Porsche winter wheel set added to your deal. Your sales guy might even help cut you a break on them. The Porsche winter wheel sets have different offsets bringing them slightly in-board, reducing the amount off material thrown up along the side of the car.

With the right rubber, 911s are entertaining and fun in the snow. Those not driving them in winter are missing out. Enjoy!
gcurnew (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:55 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
Get a Porsche winter wheel set added to your deal. Your sales guy might even help cut you a break on them. The Porsche winter wheel sets have different offsets bringing them slightly in-board, reducing the amount off material thrown up along the side of the car.

With the right rubber, 911s are entertaining and fun in the snow. Those not driving them in winter are missing out. Enjoy!
agree, get them added to the deal. it's just about time to have them put on anyway. might just pick it up with the winter shoes already on.
detansinn (09-21-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:28 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

I used wet mode on my drive in today.

Quick Reply: 992 C2S Winter driving in Colorado Foothills