Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about skipping PPF/any protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023 | 10:15 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by slc4s
For me I got (technically getting installed next week) PPF for one main reason. I despise swirl marks on black paint and I wanted a black car with as easy paint maintenance as possible.

PPF is definitely not necessary. For me if its prone to swirlyness or a heavy metallic color that will be hard to paint match its probably worth it. If not I'm personally not a buyer.

I’ve had my car for like 16 months, never washed it once. I just use spray detailer on it after every couple drives. The film self heals on light scratches supposedly. Film still looks great. I do clean my wheels though because that brake dust is just insane.
Old 09-14-2023 | 08:57 AM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Originally Posted by porschewiseguy
Hello all,

I see everyone around here talking about PPF / ceramic coatings / etc. Is this absolutely necessary? I've never had this type of thing put on any of my previous cars - Range Rovers, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, etc. I don't like to put cases or screen protectors on my iPhones nor covers on my laptops, etc. So why start with doing this on cars? Are people just overly paranoid? Are certain colors more prone to paint "damage" than others? I typically prefer the silvers/greys - GT SIlver Metallic, Agate Grey, Aventurine Green. Do these colors need PPF? Anyone out there who doesn't do any PPF?

Thanks!
I don't get anything, maybe a ceramic coating. If you drive on regular basis (not a garage queen) and don't clean your car right after you finish your drive, no point getting ppf. You can pay someone to do it. Depends what kinda hassle you want and money you will spend.

Bugs will eat into the best of PPF. I just get the car cleaned every now then go and live with the chips etc.
Old 09-14-2023 | 10:36 AM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jack_carls0n
I don't get anything, maybe a ceramic coating. If you drive on regular basis (not a garage queen) and don't clean your car right after you finish your drive, no point getting ppf. You can pay someone to do it. Depends what kinda hassle you want and money you will spend.

Bugs will eat into the best of PPF. I just get the car cleaned every now then go and live with the chips etc.
This is completely wrong.

Garage queens are the only type of cars that would NOT need PPF... since they're not driven. If you don't want rock chips all over your car, PPF is the way to go. And you will 100% get rock chips if you drive these cars how they're meant to be driven. Bugs will NOT eat into PPF, what kind of nonsense is this? If dead bugs splatter your front end, just take a towel and some spray and wipe off... you can't scratch the paint and the PPF will self heal from any micro scratches. There's also no real hassle outside of maybe waiting for availability... but that says something about the desirability of the product.

It's funny how there's this small cohort of "I drive my car RAW, 'cause I'm no *****, yeehaw" lol... it's simple, if you want to mitigate 99% of rock chips (assuming you drive your car), PPF is the only option... if you don't care, save yourself some $$
The following 5 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
adrianp89 (09-14-2023), Charles Everson (09-14-2023), dg108 (09-14-2023), rasetsu (09-14-2023), TeesTurboS (09-16-2023)
Old 09-14-2023 | 11:04 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
This is completely wrong.

Garage queens are the only type of cars that would NOT need PPF... since they're not driven. If you don't want rock chips all over your car, PPF is the way to go. And you will 100% get rock chips if you drive these cars how they're meant to be driven. Bugs will NOT eat into PPF, what kind of nonsense is this? If dead bugs splatter your front end, just take a towel and some spray and wipe off... you can't scratch the paint and the PPF will self heal from any micro scratches. There's also no real hassle outside of maybe waiting for availability... but that says something about the desirability of the product.

It's funny how there's this small cohort of "I drive my car RAW, 'cause I'm no *****, yeehaw" lol... it's simple, if you want to mitigate 99% of rock chips (assuming you drive your car), PPF is the only option... if you don't care, save yourself some $$
I've left lovebugs on my truck for months and the PPF was perfectly fine when I cleaned it.
Old 09-14-2023 | 11:54 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The value of PPF (or wax, sealant and ceramic coating) is strictly a personal (and often quite subjective) topic. Paint Protection Film does offer some real benefits, particularly if your car is driven a lot and you are reasonably upset with small chips that occur. The self-healing benefits are real (within reason) but it is by no means a suit of armor given major impacts/incidents. If not embarking on a PPF project, ceramic coatings can be a great source of protection against environmental contamination in addition to providing long-term good looks and ease of maintenance. However, despite much marketing to the contrary, ceramics will NOT protect against swirling/scratching...nor will they effectively last a lifetime without a periodic refresh (often reapplication of some sort).

Specific to PPF, we outline a variety of useful information on our Paint Protection Film Installation page on our website including a video on what to watch out for when shopping for PPF:

​​​​​​

While many specifics depend on the situation, a few general answers to your particular questions:

How the covered paint will look?
While some film does have a bit of texture, most modern films are unnoticeable unless you're closely inspecting it to determine if film is applied. The surface is being covered in an 8mil thick film so there will be some effect; would suggest visiting a propspective shop or loacal event and checking out some cars.

Will it retain its look and shine?
If maintained properly and done with quality film, it should retain its aesthetic appeal. PPF can also be ceramic coated for ease of maintenance and long term good looks.

What maintenance does it require?
Maintenance is generally the same as with a non-PPF vehicle. You can check out our Aftercare Guide for PPF that we provide to our clients which includes a video of the proper washing of a car in your driveway; the subject car is fully wrapped in matte/satin Paint Protection Film.

How long before it deteriorates and has to be removed?
That can vary based upon vehicle usage and maintenance; mfg warranties are generally 10 years and cover things like yellowing, cracking, blistering, and delaminating. All mfgs can be different with the specific terms, conditions & limitations of warranties and your greatest protection & resource for any issues is your installer themselves.

And does it damage paint if removed several years later?
There is no guarantee that it won't but with factory paint, it is extraordinarily rare when carefully removed. A bit of info on removal:

Additionally, if you find your PPF is 'not all it can be' a few years down the road, there is the chance that some rejuvenation can be done without complete removal:

And is there a particular brand of film I should be looking to use?
"Shop the installer and not the brand of film they use" Reputable shops use reputable products that they are comfortable with and have had success with in the past. The installer should be your resource before during and perhaps most importantly, AFTER the installation.The key to PPF Happiness is the installer!

I found a reputable installer who quoted me $XXXX to do this which seems reasonable compared to other quotes I got.
Much of it depends on location, extent of coverage and how extensive the install will be. Will any 'strategic disassembly' take place, will large bulk sheets be used or stock or customized patterns...there are many things to discuss that will determine project cost.

You can check out our this video to see a bit more about the installation process:

Paint Protection Film Installation - Porsche Targa GTS

As for ceramic coatings, they do indeed provide ease of maintenance and long-term good looks but like many things, exaggeration of the benefits does occur. A bit more information:

Will I Be Disappointed with a Ceramic Coating? FAQ series by ESOTERIC!

Should I get PPF or Ceramic Coatings on my car? FAQ Series by ESOTERIC.

Ceramic coatings - how long do they REALLY last? | FAQs by ESOTERIC!

Will a ceramic coating SAVE my car from swirls? | FAQ series by ESOTERIC!

Car care, vehicle usage, maintenance preferences...all are dependant on the individual and rarely is there a universal strategy that meets all needs. Research the best you can, choose something that will enhance your enjoyment of the car and then get out and drive!

Hope some of this information helps and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out!

If you are interested in additional protection, customization or paint restoration strategies, please feel free to contact us to discuss the options. While we are located in Central, OH we regularly have cars shipped to us from all corners of the United States and can help arrange transport if needed!

Additionally, Please don't hesitate to reach out at any time with any product or detailing-related questions! You can reach our Product Support line at 614.855.2573 or via e-mail at sales@esotericcarcare.com.

Enjoy!
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube

Last edited by Esoteric_Detail; 09-14-2023 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Esoteric_Detail:
adrianp89 (09-14-2023), rasetsu (09-14-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 08:32 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by adrianp89
And rock chips are herpes - make your choice.
decided to go for the condom
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 08:34 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Talking

delete(duplicate post)

Last edited by MontBlanc911; 09-16-2023 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about skipping PPF/any protection