Sponsored by:

Thinking about skipping PPF/any protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:35 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 260 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
PPF is not mandatory, and ceramic coding IS like a permanent wax job. You can bang your head until your brain spills out of your ears but that doesn’t change that these are facts.

Holy crap.

Normally, I don’t give a crap about these type of things and people who wish to live in ignorant bliss is just fine with me. However, in this case, people are legitimately coming on here to learn and understand whether these things are a good investment and the amount of total BS, misunderstanding and ignorance on the subject is mind blowing.
Yeah OK Dude. Anyone who doesn't blindly sign on to the covering and coating of the month club is living in a state of ignorance and misunderstanding according to your brilliant perspective. WTF? Your statements are absolutely ridiculous and clearly appear to be fueled by a need to be right. Lighten up, not everyone here is drinking the Kool Aide.

Last edited by shelbyking; 09-13-2023 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Staffie Guy (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyking
Yeah OK Dude. Anyone who doesn't blindly sign on to the covering and coating of the month club is living in a state of ignorance and misunderstanding according to your brilliant perspective. WTF? Your statements are absolutely ridiculous and clearly appear to be fueled by a need to be right. Lighten up, not everyone here is drinking the Kool Aide.
You don’t realize it, but you could not have done a better job proving my point. Thanks man.

kool-Aid. Lol.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:40 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 465 Likes on 207 Posts

Ceramic is not permanent. This isn't even a debate? You and I may think PPF is a must-have, but it is not mandatory. Porsche won't take your car back and put you on a no-buy list if you don't do it.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:43 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Ceramic is not permanent. This isn't even a debate? You and I may think PPF is a must-have, but it is not mandatory. Porsche won't take your car back and put you on a no-buy list if you don't do it.
Ceramic coating is not permanent. Depending on how many layers you get it last from 5 to 8 years. I said that in my first comment on it. It damn sure lasts a lot longer than waxing does and it’s better for your paint.

PPF is definitely not mandatory from a dealership and I would never have a dealership do it.
adrianp89 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:28 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 465 Likes on 207 Posts

Ceramic coating is not permanent. Depending on how many layers you get it last from 5 to 8 years. I said that in my first comment on it. It damn sure lasts a lot longer than waxing does and it’s better for your paint.

PPF is definitely not mandatory from a dealership and I would never have a dealership do it.
Mine claims to be 9 year but we will see. Going on 4 years on the truck and it is great still.

Dealership wanted absurd money to do ceramic/ppf. My local guy is probably 80% cheaper than the dealer offer.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

Ceramic, or any type of synthetic non-carnauba wax, coating is not permeant.

Neither is PPF.

And LOL to those "lifetime guarantee" claims by PPF makers and installers.
remington (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:47 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Mine claims to be 9 year but we will see. Going on 4 years on the truck and it is great still.

Dealership wanted absurd money to do ceramic/ppf. My local guy is probably 80% cheaper than the dealer offer.
no doubt, brother. Dealerships are a rip off with this. Usually the people doing it for them charge too much and then of course they have to market up also.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Neither is PPF.

I personally have never seen a PPF/ceramic coating company ever make any of these claims.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:53 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Neither is PPF.

EXACTLY! Thank You.
Permanent wax, sure thing and the moon is made of green cheese. I know 2 guys who are at about 3 yrs on their "permanent" wax jobs. Neither looks good at all and both would never do it again.
What is really comical and well demonstrated in this thread is how aggressive and angry some of the PPF/Ceramic cheerleders get when their choices are questioned to the slightest degree. Very odd to the point of being laughable.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

I personally have never seen a PPF/ceramic coating company ever make any of these claims.
Here you go

https://totaldetailingpa.com/ultimat...time-warranty/

https://totaldetailingpa.com/ultimat...time-warranty/
Old 09-13-2023, 12:01 PM
Snareman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

For my typical 3 years of car ownership I'd much rather put that $10k into more options for the car on the purchase, especially at Porsche option prices.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:06 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

EXACTLY! Thank You.
Permanent wax, sure thing and the moon is made of green cheese. I know 2 guys who are at about 3 yrs on their "permanent" wax jobs. Neither looks good at all and both would never do it again.
What is really comical and well demonstrated in this thread is how aggressive and angry some of the PPF/Ceramic cheerleders get when their choices are questioned to the slightest degree. Very odd to the point of being laughable.
I’ll tell you what’s laughable is the misleading BS about how it’s bad and doesn’t look good. If you can’t afford it, just say it. If you know nothing about it then don’t talk about it.

PPF and Ceramic is a massively successful industry. If it sucked so bad as some of you say, why would every single freaking shop in every metropolitan area be backed up for weeks on end with work? The vast majority of it repeat business. This conversation is indeed laughable.

If you don’t give a crap if your car gets rock chips, then don’t do it. If you can’t afford it, then don’t do it. But people here should stop being so freaking ignorant and misleading about it.

By the way, I’m not a cheerleader for that industry. I just know what I’m talking about because I’ve had it done on several cars. Does wear out overtime? Of course it does. Just like anything else. I can tell you this though, the stuff has saved me on countless vehicles from damage happening from highway driving. Once again, if you don’t give a crap about that then don’t do it. But stop misleading other people. Cars that have ceramic coating look awesome just like freshly waxed cars. Ceramic coating makes it much easier to wash your vehicle and protects the paint.

I have never claimed, and I’ve never been told by anyone that it’s permanent. To say that I did is not true. Just like any other thing you do to your car it needs to be maintained and will absolutely wear out.

It’s an investment that’s not for everyone especially those to whom the investment is too costly or if they don’t care what their car looks like. Especially in the front.

I guess the bottom line is I just wish people would stop misleading people who are genuinely interested in finding out the benefits. This happens all the time on this forum with many different subjects. Things like tuning your car or Radar Detectors and laser jammers. People who know absolutely freaking nothing about these two subjects wildly chime in on threads and make completely false, accusations and statements as though they know what they’re talking about. It’s stupid.
Tedster (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:08 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

You are being misleading as to what their advertisement is. They are giving the guarantee because they know most people are going to sell their car in a few years. For those who don’t they can go get the stuff adjusted and corrected if needed for free. That’s not a big deal. My company has a lifetime warranty on our products. That’s not us guaranteeing they will last forever.

Last edited by Patton250; 09-13-2023 at 12:10 PM.
adrianp89 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:21 PM
shelbyking
Banned

You are being misleading as to what their advertisement is. They are giving the guarantee because they know most people are going to sell their car in a few years. For those who don’t they can go get the stuff adjusted and corrected if needed for free. That’s not a big deal. My company has a lifetime warranty on our products. That’s not us guaranteeing they will last forever.
This thread is going to send you to the Emergency Room Dude. Take a pill! You are taking this stuff waaaaaaaaay too seriously.
Attached Images  
Patton250 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

This thread is going to send you to the Emergency Room Dude. Take a pill! You are taking this stuff waaaaaaaaay too seriously.
no worries. This will be my last post on this thread.. I appreciate you looking out for me. :-)
Old 09-13-2023, 01:02 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Sigh. As with most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of the extremes.

PPF and ceramic coatings are judgement calls, not "mandatory" by any stretch of the imagination. Ridiculous claims like "lifetime" durability are exactly that...ridiculous.

That said, does PPF work to prevent damage to the paint? Absolutely. I'm the beneficiary of PPF preventing paint damage from a truck tire fragment hitting my front end at 70 mph. Does PPF damage paint on removal? I guess it could but the modern adhesives are much better and I see little evidence other than anecdotes of older film on older cars causing issues. Does PPF "ruin" the look of naked paint/clear coat? Maybe if poorly installed or older film with bad orange peel. But, modern quality films are hard to see a difference unless inches away with bright paint lights and even then I have a hard time telling a difference when PPF covered panels are adjacent to uncovered panels.

Is ceramic longer lasting and greater hydrophobic properties than traditional waxes/sealants? Absolutely. That makes maintaining the high level of gloss, ease of cleaning, resistance to water stains, etc easier over the long term. Does ceramic add more gloss than traditional waxes/sealants? Probably not when using a gloss meter especially when applied to a baseline glossy surface (like prepped car paint). So, if one wishes to maintain glossy, clean paint and reapply waxes/sealants multiple times versus a single application of ceramic over years, that's one's judgement call based on the car/truck, time, $, effort, etc.

For me, the added protection of PPF and the appearance and ease of maintenance of ceramic was absolutely worth it for my 992. For my daily Macan? I've decided no on PPF and yes on ceramic.
The following 3 users liked this post by alin2:
adrianp89 (09-13-2023), rasetsu (09-13-2023), Tedster (09-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Thinking about skipping PPF/any protection